What are you watching now ? Movies and TV

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

BugMeister
x4

Post by BugMeister » Mon, 31. Jul 17, 00:28

- the 2017 Proms season's review of Scott Walker's compositions..
- it's on BBCtv-iPlayer and Radio 3, if you've got the apps..
- it's been a beautiful season.. :roll:
- the whole universe is running in BETA mode - we're working on it.. beep..!! :D :thumb_up:

burger1
x3tc

Post by burger1 » Mon, 31. Jul 17, 02:52

Indiana Jones and the Crystal Skull is on bbc for a very short while longer. Doctor Who is leaving very soon also.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0 ... stal-skull

burger1
x3tc

Post by burger1 » Thu, 3. Aug 17, 07:52

Hooten and the Lady. It's something like relic hunter but different. After a while the characters seemed to grow on me. Kind of like The Librarians. It's US region locked so if you get a white page with just words you'll need to do stuff.

http://www.cwtv.com/shows/

http://www.cwtv.com/shows/hooten-and-the-lady

There's also Pushing Daisies on the CW seed which is part of the CW

http://www.cwseed.com/shows/

http://www.cwseed.com/shows/pushing-dai ... 4315e0a305

Apparently they made a blade tv series.

There's another legal anime site Crunchyroll

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crunchyroll

http://www.crunchyroll.com/

Redvers Ganderpoke

Post by Redvers Ganderpoke » Thu, 3. Aug 17, 11:44

Killjoys s2 is now on Netflix UK.
A flower?

Bishop149
x3

Post by Bishop149 » Thu, 3. Aug 17, 11:50

Just watched a Pilot on Amazon for a show called "Oasis", I thought it was well done and was left wanting to see more.

Basic premise:

Earth is in the shitter and the 1% are spending vast amounts of money to build a paradise colony on a distant habitable but not exactly pleasant planet. Weird stuff starts to go down on said planet which causes the chap in charge to send for a priest (with whom he has some undisclosed backstory).He is reluctant to go due to the obvious elitism of the project and the fact that this brave new world was meant to be free of the shackles of religion, but is basically bribed into it by offers of money for the poor and thus begin the story.

I thought it was rather good but I'd hesitate to recommend it as its not at all clear it will be developed beyond that one pilot episode, but if it was up to me I'd give it the go ahead.

Bit late to the party on the next one but I've also just started watching "The Expanse" a SyFy series. I'm about 5 episodes into season 1 and I really like it so far.

The setup and plot lines are sound and interesting.
The characters are ok, but nothing that really stands out (except the Indian UN woman perhaps, she's very good) . . . many obviously have backstories to be fleshed out, perhaps they will get more interesting as it goes on.
I particularly like how it balances the hard sci-fi stuff with not revolving the whole show around it (as you'd almost have to if you did it properly). Ships appear to move like real spacecraft burns and gravity, space combat is relatively realistic (with the exception of stealth). Whenever the ship isn't under thrust the crew are in Zero-G . . . . . however due to the obvious budget constraints of that the ships seem to spent most of their time under thrust! Although there a lovely workaround with magnetic boots, occasionally its made explicitly clear when they are being used but you could kinda suspend disbelief and assume the rest of the time. . . . if such things bother you.
I also like the separations portrayed as developing between the different groups of humanity (Earth, Mars and Belt) both physical and cultural.
"Shoot for the Moon. If you miss, you'll end up co-orbiting the Sun alongside Earth, living out your days alone in the void within sight of the lush, welcoming home you left behind." - XKCD

BugMeister
x4

Post by BugMeister » Fri, 4. Aug 17, 15:01

I'm very fond of the repeats of the Taste Of Britain series on the beeb..
Janet Street-Porter and Brian Turner are really great hosts
lots of fun and good humour..

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episodes/b ... d=b08gjy8t
- a mixture of rambling and fine cuisine - most excellent!
- the whole universe is running in BETA mode - we're working on it.. beep..!! :D :thumb_up:

Redvers Ganderpoke

Post by Redvers Ganderpoke » Fri, 4. Aug 17, 17:40

BugMeister wrote: - a mixture of rambling....
Isn't that this forum?
A flower?

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Fri, 4. Aug 17, 18:23

Watched "Hacksaw Ridge" this week. Outstanding movie. (WWII Medal of Honor Winner Medic AO1 designation, IIRC. ie: Carries no weapon in combat.)

Ketraar
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by Ketraar » Fri, 4. Aug 17, 19:02

Went and watched Dunkirk in 2D IMAX (first IMAX experience for) and it was a blast. Nolan once more just delivers a unique experience (warning for those that expect "traditional" storytelling, with characters and focus on getting the girl, you will be disappointed).

Next up is Valerian, for the other director I like a lot, though expectations are low for this one, due to main character actors (not a fan really).

WRT Hacksaw Ridge, it was an OK movie, great story and person. Some choices are questionable imho and took me out of the movie (the stupid rope thingy bugged the hell out of me) think I gave it a 6/10 on imdb. It was a bit choppy and had the whole forest gump thing at the start not make much sense and feel not fitting the rest of the movie. But once shit start to blow up its pretty good.

MFG

Ketraar

Soupstar Wreck'n'Row
x3ap

Post by Soupstar Wreck'n'Row » Sat, 5. Aug 17, 17:46

Nice one, Bishop. "The Expanse" popped up several times on my searches for SciFi movies. Looks actually like Mankind's developings between the 21. and 23. Century before they sent off Terraformers. Deep space mining, strives and hi-tech on display here. No polished screens, but some impressive stage-sets, like they did from around the 3.Millenium onwards.

Resourceful readers will find the links. Am not posting those still legal, for-free, as long you're not uploading sites, without permission self-speakingly. (Or Firefox'es add-on "Hoxx VPN Proxy", one click to become an American e.g. The very oxcart, Oscar the Academy "a-what" Award goes to LaLa Land. The Promised Once.. uStan? text us) Or may I?

So, when you thought no-one will ever top Independence Day (followed by Wing Commander, those Classics maybe and a few Mars adventures) then have I got news for you: look out for simple dooming impact drama with just all a lone ground personnel on a far-out post could wish for, and perhaps later more, scilicet: SALVATION the series (4 or 5 episodes so far so really captivating) Leaves me all in a fever, trembling like an aspen forest. Percolatorz ("Black Sails", a 4season pirate coffee infusion wouldn't make things in the least a bit more laid-back) Cappucc!na that. --The ItAliaens/FlyingSaucer

\__4_4_4__/
Since Thirteeth² plus Fourtoes² (btb: !69+!96=365 Oh Yea') has been turned into 12:88 past 'Dozen' Ma88er -ja, every self-respecting quantum pc would've flown all chips out of its lap merely watching that Rocky Horror Picture Show of just one billion sExperts- do I not tell jokes about Corals of the Story.
If ever an ItAlien reboots, will si silly Sicily fly over the Rock of Gibbos into the Azores High, while the Scandinavian Lion catches ..a cold. So FReaNCH - Geolollogy? GA!A taditty

burger1
x3tc

Post by burger1 » Sat, 5. Aug 17, 23:38

apogee
x3tc

Post by apogee » Wed, 9. Aug 17, 23:27

A couple of moans.....

just caught up with the last episode of Fargo series 3, and i've been a bit disapointed with this series, compared to the first two.

oh and i saw dunkirk mentioned above, and i was a bit disapointed with this as well...
a. music droned on and on, can't believe it was by hans zimmer.
b. i know that we complain about cgi, but this film could have done with some, the beach was virtually empty.
Spoiler
Show
c. i didnt know spitfires could glide for half an hour and shoot enemy planes down whilst doing so.
d. bit more dialog please, maybe if there was, the fella on the beach would have found out the other bloke was french earlier, not after 6 days.
sorry, i wanted the film to be great, it wasn't. not bad but not good either.

edited for spoilers...
Last edited by apogee on Thu, 10. Aug 17, 10:21, edited 1 time in total.

Ketraar
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by Ketraar » Wed, 9. Aug 17, 23:37

How about using spoiler tags? Tat would be great and not ruin other peoples possible experience just for a quick rant.

MFG

Ketraar

apogee
x3tc

Post by apogee » Thu, 10. Aug 17, 10:22

Ketraar wrote:How about using spoiler tags? Tat would be great and not ruin other peoples possible experience just for a quick rant.

MFG

Ketraar
yep, sorry, ive edited to put the second 2 points in.

though my guess is anyone who wanted to see it, probably has by now.

euclid
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by euclid » Thu, 10. Aug 17, 13:09

Was more by accident that I've stumbled across Shot Caller which turned out to be not a bad movie. If you do not watch any spoiler and dive right in then it will take a while to recognize the main actor ;-)

Cheers Euclid
"In any special doctrine of nature there can be only as much proper science as there is mathematics therein.”
- Immanuel Kant (1724-1804), Metaphysical Foundations of the Science of Nature, 4:470, 1786

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Tue, 15. Aug 17, 22:10

At almost an hour long, it's worth mentioning here. :)

My favorite movie reviewer (/mangler) once again nails it - Mr. Plinkett's review of Ghostbusters (2016)!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AHUV8QLpEAc

(Language Warning. Almost a boob, too... (That's just to get you to watch it.) )

burger1
x3tc

Post by burger1 » Wed, 16. Aug 17, 02:51

The Expanse season 2 coming to netflix Sept 8, 2017 (except Canada, US and New Zealand).

The Firefly movie Serenity is also free to watch on Crackle US (US region locked)

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Wed, 16. Aug 17, 09:28

It annoys me that the Expanse is on Amazon Prime in the US, but not in the UK--I could watch it without having to buy an extra subscription if it was on Prime over here! :evil:

Bishop149
x3

Post by Bishop149 » Wed, 16. Aug 17, 11:22

pjknibbs wrote:It annoys me that the Expanse is on Amazon Prime in the US, but not in the UK--I could watch it without having to buy an extra subscription if it was on Prime over here! :evil:
Ugg all this region specificity needs to die in this age of transnationals (such as amazon) and global near instant communications networks.
I mean I know why they do it (Waaaaay more $$$) but its a historical relic that makes no sense.
If you sell content to a provider, the size audience base of that provider should simply determine how much they pay. I.e. selling content to Netflix or Amazon pays way more than selling the same content to Channel 4.
"Shoot for the Moon. If you miss, you'll end up co-orbiting the Sun alongside Earth, living out your days alone in the void within sight of the lush, welcoming home you left behind." - XKCD

notaterran
x3tc

Post by notaterran » Tue, 22. Aug 17, 01:18

Watched the first season of Gilmore Girls. Man, that was a chore to sit through; I don't want to think too much about who the hell was supposed to be the target audience for this nonsense. Here are a few thoughts:

-The series' name is VERY appropriate because it revolves around two GIRLS. The first one is Lorelai Gilmore, a woman-girl who has an annoying, rather strident high-pitched voice, the mannerisms and body language of a teenager, and on many occasions also has the common sense of a smashed asteroid (Lauren Graham was actually likable in Bad Santa, so I'm blaming the director for this). The other girl is Rory, Lorelai's bland daughter who at times exhibits more maturity than her mother. It becomes clear with each passing episode that she turned out ok in spite of Lorelai's many failings as a parent. Additionally, we are reminded a few times that Rory is named after her mother, so she's also a Lorelai (as if we're supposed to give a ****).

-This series thrives on the stereotypes of the talkative woman and the infantilized woman. I know that an actress can make a career out of infantilizing herself (e.g. Zooey Deschanel) but I was hoping for a less obvious portrayal.

-Lane is a complete waste of screen time, what a thoroughly useless character. Every time she was on screen I was hoping for her to rebel against her neurotic tiger mother, get an STD and then get run out of town wearing scarlet clothes.

-In a series with many annoying characters (Lorelai, Michel, Taylor, etc.) Kirk wins the prize.

-There are several silly songs, but the worst ones are the childish "la,la..." songs that would almost fit in a Teletubbies episode.

-As a side note, the only character that I enjoyed watching was that of Emily Gilmore (probably because she is almost an exact portrayal of a close relative, they're so similar it's scary).

-The character of Sookie starts out well, but then she just joins Rory in the Bland Actresses Guild because she doesn't have much to do. I wish they had continued with the physical comedy, it worked really well for this character (a kitchen offers plenty of opportunities for accidents and slapstick in general).

-The script is, unfortunately, not as smart as the writer thinks it is, so we end up with dialog that -if you added some profanity to it- wouldn't be out of place in a Sex And The City movie. The fact that it's delivered in rapid-fire fashion doesn't make it any less superficial and inconsequential, it only gives the impression of being witty (if you want clever banter watch Pulp Fiction). I swear, even the lines of Juno were more enjoyable than these.
Last edited by notaterran on Tue, 22. Aug 17, 05:35, edited 1 time in total.
-Skinny women look good in clothes, fit women look good naked.

Return to “Off Topic English”