Should I do the campaign?

General discussions about X Rebirth.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

NewtSoup
x4

Should I do the campaign?

Post by NewtSoup » Fri, 30. Sep 16, 02:32

As a returning player after more than a year I'm wondering if I should do the campaign.

I started it 3 times during the early days for various reasons ( not complaing, just saying ). But I'm not sure I have it in me to do it all again. At the moment I have a few hours into a free play start.

Is there any significant advantage to having done the campaign or does the free play start give me access to everything ( minus the bonus of having a factory and a handful of ships )
I am a rock in the wind, watch how I plummet!
Gamer Girl since 1981 Mistress of Heavy Landings since 1984 (BBC-B Elite)

Corei7 7700, 16GB Ram, MSI RX6700XT, Sidewinder FFB2, Kubuntu 22.04

ajax34i
x4

Post by ajax34i » Fri, 30. Sep 16, 13:42

The various free-play starts put you in the starter Skunk + a transport of some sort (so you can trade), and let you do whatever you want.

The plot gives you the Skunk first, then, through various missions, helps you upgrade it and teaches you how to fight in it, how to board, how to use drones, etc.

There are two advantages to the plot:

1. You have available a series of missions to break the monotony of mining, trading, aimlessly flying around, and boarding ships.

2. Much like in the X3:TC Poisoned Paranid start, a major group hates you at -20 no matter what to do, which then resets at the end of the plot, all sins forgiven. So, of course, this means it's a no-repercussions pass to shoot any and all members of that group, capture their ships, etc. They have top of the line destroyers and carriers, is what I'm saying. Unlimited numbers of them; they keep sending them against you, one at a time, for easy capture.

Just like X3, I think the game is boring if you try to be friends with everyone, leaving just the Xenon as enemies. I paused the plot multiple times to talk to everyone, to capture Titurels, to clear the jump beacon sectors of patrolling Taranises, to capture wave after wave of destroyers in DeVries by the gate, and in Omicron Lyrae by that HV station. It's fun capturing one ship with another one bearing down on you and about to enter weapons range.

NewtSoup
x4

Post by NewtSoup » Fri, 30. Sep 16, 14:21

I started on the one named "Free Play" which gave me nothing except the skunk and some credits.

The other options were

Aspiring Mechant
Argon Mercenary
Empire Builder and
The Teladi Outpost ***

Incidentally do I have to start a "The Teladi Outpost" game to have access to the DLC or is it all still there on "free play"?

Ezarkal
x4

Post by Ezarkal » Fri, 30. Sep 16, 15:12

You need the Teladi DLC to play with the Teladi gamestart, since you start in the DLC system. I'm quite surprised it gives you access, though. Check your extensions. I heard there was something in the past about the teladi DLC being free for certain earlly buyers, so maybe you got it for free. (I got my game after v3.5, so I don't know the exact details about what happened).

The main campaign has two minor advantages.
1- As you said, you get a "special" station. It produces does not produce special wares, and can be compensated by standard station who will have better efficiency.
2- NPC will build a few (3-5) stations in DeVries over time at the end of the plot.

Both of these can be easily compensated with mods.

Otherwise, you of course don get to play the main quest, but every other sidequests, generic or special, can be accessed with every game start.

So no, if you don't like the main campaign, then you're not missing on anything with the free play.
Humans are deuterostomes, which means that when they develop in the womb the first opening they develop is the anus.
This means that at one point you were nothing but an asshole.

Some people never develop beyond this stage.

NewtSoup
x4

Post by NewtSoup » Fri, 30. Sep 16, 16:04

Yeah I have The Teladi Outpost DLC. I was gifted it for being an early player ( I actually had the game on Pre-Order from the day it first became available) I'm newbie again because until this week I'd not played since 2013 some time and forgotten a lot of it AND the game has changed a lot bit over the last 2 years :).

I think, before I get too into this game again I'm going to add the HOL DLC to it and start over on one of the new game starts.

I've got the hang of flying around and my key definitions set up how I like them. Time to start anew!

ajax34i
x4

Post by ajax34i » Fri, 30. Sep 16, 16:31

You don't need to start over. DLC's give you extra starts, that place your Skunk in the new zones from the beginning, OR, otherwise they just add extra connecting jumpgates to the regular game and you can go through said jumpgates whenever you feel like it. The DLC's are not intrusive.

In any case, highly recommended that you also look at the Index of Mods and use whichever ones sound good to you. A lot of them fix problems that still exist in the game, making it a better game overall.

NewtSoup
x4

Post by NewtSoup » Fri, 30. Sep 16, 17:41

Thanks.. I was only a few hours into play so I have started over using the HOL start. Iv'e installed a few mods - Safe Trading, Yet Another Trader and a few others. I'll add more as i find issues that need modding. Though if you have recommendations for 4.0 I'll gladly take a good look at them ( I didn't want things like auto loot and increased scanner range )

Ezarkal
x4

Post by Ezarkal » Fri, 30. Sep 16, 17:57

I won't write a list, for it will really be up to the way you want to play, and both the list in the link above and the steam workshop will be your best friends for that. If you're looking for mods that do specific things, though, ask away.

But I'll at least tell you this: Any mods that reduce the amount dialogues ("silence you all" and company) become sanity savers after a while. Keep that in mind for when you'll be bored out of your skull with hearing the same lines over and over again.

Because it's not a question of IF, but of WHEN it happens. XD
Humans are deuterostomes, which means that when they develop in the womb the first opening they develop is the anus.

NewtSoup
x4

Post by NewtSoup » Tue, 4. Oct 16, 00:33

Probably my last post for this thread as further thoughts would be more appropriate under a new title.

I've visited almost every district in home of light. Got Trade agents on every station in every sector I've visted. I have 2 nyancat containers and just set up 2 Gigurum energy traders ( using YAT )

TerraCorp Love me. Just about to start exploring into the rest of the universe.

I think I can grow to really like this game. I may declare war on Plutarch for the hell of it. After all you need someone to beat up other than Xenon and a source of free capital ships. I think I will add the "recycle ships" mod to my collection. Makes sense that rather than sell for credits you can have it stripped for resources to build something that you're after.

Spent a "happy" 15 minutes inside the superstructure of a station that I bumped into at an odd angle. Egosoft! You can fix this by turning collision detection OFF if you're inside the station model. I got out by pure stubbornness and lots of boost.

Sparky Sparkycorp
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Sparky Sparkycorp » Tue, 4. Oct 16, 08:57

NewtSoup wrote: Incidentally do I have to start a "The Teladi Outpost" game to have access to the DLC or is it all still there on "free play"?
If you buy either DLC, you can enter their system through their gates at any time in any non-campaign start game.

For a campaign game, the DLC's gates are initially deactivated but open later during the plot. A lot of the plot's atmosphere relates to being isolated in particular systems at times so I'd recommend trying to avoid DLC systems until towards the end or after the plot.
NewtSoup wrote: Spent a "happy" 15 minutes inside the superstructure of a station that I bumped into at an odd angle. Egosoft! You can fix this by turning collision detection OFF if you're inside the station model. I got out by pure stubbornness and lots of boost.
Congratulations for the persistence and success! :)

There are some other work-arounds for this problem, and some other things, on the Egosoft wiki:

http://forum.egosoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=385743

The wiki also has an official manual for the game, and a player guide to its mechanics.

Edit: Wiki is back up.
Last edited by Sparky Sparkycorp on Tue, 4. Oct 16, 17:13, edited 1 time in total.

Ezarkal
x4

Post by Ezarkal » Tue, 4. Oct 16, 16:13

NewtSoup wrote:Spent a "happy" 15 minutes inside the superstructure of a station that I bumped into at an odd angle. Egosoft! You can fix this by turning collision detection OFF if you're inside the station model. I got out by pure stubbornness and lots of boost.
Stations, asteroids, captial ships... Yup, that's a more frequent occurence than you'd expect.

Collision detection does eventually go off if you're on autopilot, though. Easiest fix for that is to set the autopilot on a target in a different zone. (open the map, select an object and press Ctrl + A). You will bump into the structure a couple of time before collision detection goes off and you leave the object.

It doesn't seem to work as well if you select an object in the same zone.

Otherwise:
Spoiler
Show
if you've managed to get the jump drive, well.... do I need to say more?

Snafu_X3
x3tc

Post by Snafu_X3 » Wed, 5. Oct 16, 02:05

Sparky Sparkycorp wrote:If you buy either DLC, you can enter their system through their gates at any time in any non-campaign start game.
To clarify: all gates are open when playing freeplay; in a campaign start all the DLC gates will open once you've flown thru the first plot gate (to DV)
Wiki X:R 1st Tit capping
Wiki X3:TC vanilla: Guide to generic missions, Guide to finding & capping Aran
Never played AP; all X3 advice is based on vanilla+bonus pack TC or before: AP has not changed much WRT general advice.

I know how to spell teladiuminumiumium, I just don't know when to stop!

Dom (Wiki Moderator) 8-) DxDiag

RodentofDoom
x4

Post by RodentofDoom » Tue, 31. Jan 17, 13:05

Completing the campaign essentially leaves you in free-play mode with a large deficit to relations with pmc, I personally like to maintain that deficit.

It also adds a bunch of extra npc stations (4-6) in Devries, one of which is an extra shipyard.

It's also the only non cheaty way to have the integrated forge as part of your trade empire

Nanook
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Nanook » Tue, 31. Jan 17, 21:22

Old thread, and no new information. *CLICK*
Have a great idea for the current or a future game? You can post it in the [L3+] Ideas forum.

X4 is a journey, not a destination. Have fun on your travels.

Return to “X Rebirth Universe”