Two separate XOU games? (A Nifty PK Solution Poll)

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Two separate XOU games? (A PK solution poll)

Have two separate universes: one for PvP and one for not.
18%
That's silly have one universe with a non-PvP toggle you can select to avoid PK
24%
Phooey on compromise, let them play PvP or not at all
27%
Don't care, I dont plan on playing XOL
9%
I like cheese.
12%
--> Just Added! I wanna XOL game with no PvP allowed at all.
9%

Total votes: 33

o1derfull1
x2

Two separate XOU games? (A Nifty PK Solution Poll)

Post by o1derfull1 » Tue, 30. Mar 04, 02:05

If you've been following the divisive thread on PK in XOU on this forum right now, you'd have seen this solution propsoed by myself, and several others, as a way to 'compromise' between the "anything goes" school and the "PvP with consent school" of thought on the matter. Does this sound like a fair solution to you? Would you play either of these games?
Last edited by o1derfull1 on Tue, 30. Mar 04, 02:13, edited 1 time in total.
eagerly awaiting X3....

nifty X2 guides collected in one thread:
www.egosoft.com/x2/forum/viewtopic.php?t=84410
Also
http://www.egosoft.com/x2/forum/viewtopic.php?t=84410

twilight_echoes
x3tc

Post by twilight_echoes » Tue, 30. Mar 04, 02:10

eek great poll but i cant vote cus my option aint there!!!
PvP toggle could be exploited by unscrupulous players to avoid being legitimately killed.
Im pro PvP (by choice) and anti PK period.....

GoateeCat
x2

No frikkin way!!!

Post by GoateeCat » Tue, 30. Mar 04, 02:31

Do not baby up an otherwise excellent game. Life is hard, gaming is harder.

No compromise.

lLongshanks
x3tc

Post by lLongshanks » Tue, 30. Mar 04, 02:37

If i play i think i will have to do some pking but i would vote make 1/4 of the sectors availible to PK's
and a decent rank to access those sectors so little jimmy who has just started playing dont wander into 15 red M3's in his shiney new M5 by mistake

twilight_echoes
x3tc

Post by twilight_echoes » Tue, 30. Mar 04, 02:49

olderful - if you can alter poll options...why not put "added my suggestion to this thread" as a final one. It'll help to keep it bumped near the top & its a worthwhile topic to feedback while XOU is still in development. Just a thought.

TerrorTrooper
x4

Post by TerrorTrooper » Tue, 30. Mar 04, 03:01

lLongshanks wrote:If i play i think i will have to do some pking but i would vote make 1/4 of the sectors availible to PK's
and a decent rank to access those sectors so little jimmy who has just started playing dont wander into 15 red M3's in his shiney new M5 by mistake
agreed...

i dont want to have to go into a different game when i fancy a fight...

"safe Sectors" and "Combat Zones" seem the best choice

Thalass
x2

Post by Thalass » Tue, 30. Mar 04, 03:14

I voted "I like cheese" 'cos it is both amusing and true.

I think PK should be allowed in the game engine, however I think that the sectors you start in, Argon Prime for example, should be so heavily patrolled by both AI and Human cops that a PK is imeadiately caught and delt with. having the Capital sectors and the ones around them heavily patrolled would both prevent PKing on newbies, provide a safe haven for everyone, and make sense from the race in questions point of view.

so basically any sector with a shipyard and the surrounding sectors would be "safe", but death would still be possible.
Legitimate Businessman. Honest.

Dastardly
x2

Post by Dastardly » Tue, 30. Mar 04, 03:31

Sad thing is, even if XOL were carved into safe zones and PvP zones, the non-PvP folks would whine about not being able to visit those sectors because they don't PvP. :evil:

I'm not making this up. Go ask UO trammel players what they think about the PvPers getting Dungeon Kalduun all to themselves :roll:

Thalass
x2

Post by Thalass » Tue, 30. Mar 04, 03:40

Well, how I suggested would mean that anyone could go anywhere. It's just that some sectors have more cops looking for suspicious activity (ie ships being attacked) and the usual contraband scans could include an id scan for players known to kill other players for no reason (bounties or in combat are fair game, I think. Or if you refuse to surrender to a pirate ;))

Dastardly
x2

Post by Dastardly » Tue, 30. Mar 04, 03:43

My point is, the non-PvPers are physically capable of going to the PvP areas, but they won't. Why? Because it involves the risk of PvP. There's a barrier there, yes, but it's one that exists only in their own minds.

Ferd Harling
x2

Post by Ferd Harling » Tue, 30. Mar 04, 03:43

What's this post doing in this forum :?:
Ferd Harling
Second IC of FACTS (Free Advice Conquering The Systems)
Please visit us for all your questions, Ideas & To join Click on the Logo below :)
[ external image ]

o1derfull1
x2

Post by o1derfull1 » Tue, 30. Mar 04, 03:53

why not on this forum? the pk discussion is on this forum, and this poll is inspired by that, and IS essentially that, but with quantifiable data.
eagerly awaiting X3....

nifty X2 guides collected in one thread:
www.egosoft.com/x2/forum/viewtopic.php?t=84410
Also
http://www.egosoft.com/x2/forum/viewtopic.php?t=84410

Dastardly
x2

Post by Dastardly » Tue, 30. Mar 04, 03:54

rd wrote:What's this post doing in this forum :?:
What's this reply doing in this thread?

Ferd Harling
x2

Post by Ferd Harling » Tue, 30. Mar 04, 03:56

Err . . . sorry - Hic :)
Ferd Harling
Second IC of FACTS (Free Advice Conquering The Systems)
Please visit us for all your questions, Ideas & To join Click on the Logo below :)
[ external image ]

Thalass
x2

Post by Thalass » Tue, 30. Mar 04, 04:40

Dastardly wrote:My point is, the non-PvPers are physically capable of going to the PvP areas, but they won't. Why? Because it involves the risk of PvP. There's a barrier there, yes, but it's one that exists only in their own minds.

Ah, true. But those who are too scared to go out of the main sectors would find it a bit harder to make profit. And those who do will end up with all their stations in the safe sectors, thus enriching those sectors for newbies. The sectors that aren't as strictly patrolled as the capital ones would still be safe compared to the wild ones. And this would open a new market for mercs: sector security. :D

JackScratch
x2

Post by JackScratch » Tue, 30. Mar 04, 04:50

Sad thing is, even if XOL were carved into safe zones and PvP zones, the non-PvP folks would whine about not being able to visit those sectors because they don't PvP.
Entirely depends on how those zones were handled. In Dark Ages of Camelot, they had zones set up between nations for full out PvP war. Those zones, in fact, had nothing in them that could only be gotten there. No unique resources, or quest items or whatnot. Nor did they block the way to any Non PvP zone.

What they had were certain game features designed for the fun of PvP and all out war. Fortresses that could be captured and taken from other players. Artifacts (The Holy Grail, for example) that increased the power of the side that controlled them, but keeping that ownership required constant vigilance. And special perks that PvP players could earn through kills (like bounties) that gave them special benefits in PvP zones.

If the Rewards gained in PvP zones were primarially for PvPers to use against one another, non PvPers would have nothing to complain about.

Sandalpocalypse
x4

Post by Sandalpocalypse » Tue, 30. Mar 04, 04:54

I'm not sure there's any way to fit everyone on one server, unless the universe is substantially larger in a number of different ways!

Dastardly
x2

Post by Dastardly » Tue, 30. Mar 04, 05:00

Thalass wrote:
Dastardly wrote:My point is, the non-PvPers are physically capable of going to the PvP areas, but they won't. Why? Because it involves the risk of PvP. There's a barrier there, yes, but it's one that exists only in their own minds.

Ah, true. But those who are too scared to go out of the main sectors would find it a bit harder to make profit. And those who do will end up with all their stations in the safe sectors, thus enriching those sectors for newbies. The sectors that aren't as strictly patrolled as the capital ones would still be safe compared to the wild ones. And this would open a new market for mercs: sector security. :D
My thoughts are similar. I'd like to see a small number of totally secure core sectors (basically with weapons-lock). These would be newbie training sectors and general-purpose lounging areas where people can meet up, hang out, goof off, have m5 races...whatever.

Outside of those areas would be PvP-enabled zones with varying levels of built-in sector defenses (AI police forces/Navy/whatever). These medium security zones would comprise the majority of XOL's sectors. The rest of the universe...33-25% perhaps...would be more or less lawless frontier sectors; the areas best suited for domination by player-run corporations competing over territory and profitable trade routes.

It would be wonderful IMO, but as I said...the hardcore anti-pvp crowd would immediately cry foul, arguing that since they also pay $15/mo, they should be able to go anywhere they want with no risk involved. This has already been played out in other games and on other message boards. No reason to think it would be any different with XOL.

I'm sure there are plenty of other people who would like to see PvP handled in ways similar to your ideas or mine. All we can really do right now is lobby Egosoft (as we are basically doing now) and wait to see what they pull out of the hat.

Thalass
x2

Post by Thalass » Tue, 30. Mar 04, 05:04

:lol: Ideally there'd be one server per sector! *laughs* but that isn't really that economical. :P

I'd say it'd be ten sectors to a server, perhaps? Depending on the traffic, that is.

Thalass
x2

Post by Thalass » Tue, 30. Mar 04, 05:19

Hrm. I'm against the weapons lock, personally. Though the idea of totally secure sectors is a good one and makes sense if they're the capitals and such.

Now that I think about it, what you said doesn't mean that sectors can't be overrun. If Atreus' Clouds was overrun in-game and taken over by, for example, Cartel Incorporated (and no we aren't plotting anything at this particular moment :P) and all the stations destroyed and rebuilt in our image (bwahaha), it would be better if the sector defence was there. Makes it a challenge, more of a risk. If all race sectors were no-weapons then it'd not be possible at all and not be fun.

Which is why I'm against a weapons lock. I'd like to see large scale wars between factions. The SAS defending Split Space against the Empire and such. Makes the 'verse more dynamic and enjoyable in my opinion. :)

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”