X-Tension on linux

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Wendell
x3tc

X-Tension on linux

Post by Wendell » Sun, 4. Dec 16, 13:51

Hello folks,

Been messing with Wine v1.9.23 running on Debian Jessie today. Whenever I've tried in the past I've got nowhere but had some success today using x-tension v2.1 and v2.2, here's what I did:

1. Set quartz to "builtin" under libraries tab when you do a wine winecfg.

2. Run x-tension and when launcher appears uncheck "Use settings", "Compatibility mode" and "In Window" - leave all three unchecked.

3. Run the game. At this point the game will run at 640x480 (something like this) and you'll be stuck on screen with a picture of the XTension logo. If you leave it running you'll hear a rumbling sound and spaceships flying by. At this point, if you move your mouse to the edges of the screen you'll see your linux desktop underneath. At this point change your linux desktop resolution to your normal resolution.

4. You should now be able to see X running in a little window but your desktop will still be locked. Alt tab your way back to X (a wine glass on here) then press f8. Under fullscreen resolution set to something 32bit, switch from fullscreen to window. OK then exit game.

5. Now when you run the game tick "Use settings". Whether you run in Windowed mode now or not is up to you.

The game appears to run fine except the music doesn't work and when you fire a weapon the background disappears. Posting on here just incase it helps someone else out, perhaps you'll find out how to get the music working or with the disappearing background :)

Dantrithor
x3tc

Post by Dantrithor » Tue, 13. Dec 16, 19:42

If you can't fix the shooting issue, as an in-game workaround, you can buy combat drones. They were really powerful in numbers, and dirt cheap. Create a factory or ten which build them, and you'll never have to worry again about firing.

I may still have screenshots around from when I sent a TS with hundreds of them to a Xenon sector... beautiful.

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”