Death announcements for persons of note

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Fri, 25. May 18, 08:13

Wow. Sad news indeed. :(

Olterin
xr

Post by Olterin » Fri, 25. May 18, 10:26

Sad news indeed. :(

A man with integrity, standing up for others, he will be missed.

R.I.P. TB.
"Do or do not, there is no try"
"My Other Overwhelming Mixed Assault Fleet is a Brigantine" -Seleucius, commenting on my ship naming scheme

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Fri, 25. May 18, 11:03

It even got onto the front page of the BBC news site:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-44250597

I don't recall seeing so many tributes on Twitter and Reddit for a recent death...it shows how far his influence was felt.

Antilogic
x3tc

Post by Antilogic » Fri, 25. May 18, 11:25

Gods this is hurting harder then I ever thought. When you have laughed and cried alongside someone for the better part of ten years and... christ.

RIP John. May wherever you are have the worlds longest FOV slider.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZhpcq0J8CU

Avis
x2

Post by Avis » Fri, 25. May 18, 12:00

Sad loss, I really enjoyed his content for years and actually valued his reviews can't remember how many obscure indi titles I've bought of the back of his endorsement and loved, games I wouldn't have given a 2nd look otherwise.

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Sat, 26. May 18, 10:04

I just went and looked up Totalbiscuit's Youtube channel stats on Socialblade.com. For the past month it's been bumping along at around 20-30,000 video views and dropping a couple of hundred subscribers per day--not surprising, given he's only been uploading the podcast. The day after he died? More than 8000 new subscribers and 1.5 *million* video views. Guess a lot of people don't appreciate what's there until it's gone.

Golden_Gonads
x3tc

Post by Golden_Gonads » Sat, 26. May 18, 12:13

pjknibbs wrote:I just went and looked up Totalbiscuit's Youtube channel stats on Socialblade.com. For the past month it's been bumping along at around 20-30,000 video views and dropping a couple of hundred subscribers per day--not surprising, given he's only been uploading the podcast. The day after he died? More than 8000 new subscribers and 1.5 *million* video views. Guess a lot of people don't appreciate what's there until it's gone.
That or they wanted to know what all the fuss is about. I never watched his video's, so I have no particular feelings about his demise. All I know about him, other than he did video game... Reviews(?) was reports a few years back where his ego was out of control and he made news insulting everyone and being an arse.

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Sat, 26. May 18, 19:41

Golden_Gonads wrote:That or they wanted to know what all the fuss is about. I never watched his video's, so I have no particular feelings about his demise. All I know about him, other than he did video game... Reviews(?) was reports a few years back where his ego was out of control and he made news insulting everyone and being an arse.
A great deal of criticism, sometimes outright lies, have come from the Gamergate crowd. They went on a literal warpath against him after he refused to review Brianna Wu's game... It was a full-fledged social-media assault with all the dirty tricks one could think of. Despicable, really.

Wu basically began a crusade against TB, saying obnoxious crap, making false claims, outright lying, and spreading crap to all her followers about TB. Why? He refused to review her game because her characters looked like "Bratz with PS1 textures."

https://lolcow.wiki/wiki/TotalBiscuit_Incident

What was the fallout from this? A bunch of people read a few twits, here and there, by Wu's social-justice-warrior crusaders and then think things about TB that simply were not true, so they run around and spread what they think is "juicy gossip" and the cycle builds on itself. Those people.. They just have something wrong with them. And, Wu? She's just plain... Something is wrong with her.

TB did a good thing when he started reviewing games. When he started calling out publishers, he did a good thing. We he started talking straight to gamers, encouraging them to not get taken by shoddy schemes, he did a good thing. He did a lot of good things. He was "just another gamer guy on youtube," but he had a huge positive impact. I think that's all I care about, really.

Antilogic
x3tc

Post by Antilogic » Sat, 26. May 18, 20:22

TB made the "mistake" of being neutral with GG and giving both sides a fair hearing and pointing out that both sides had merits and issues.

This earned him enemies everywhere for not denouncing one side or another.

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Sun, 27. May 18, 07:50

Antilogic wrote:TB made the "mistake" of being neutral with GG and giving both sides a fair hearing and pointing out that both sides had merits and issues.

This earned him enemies everywhere for not denouncing one side or another.
/agreed

And... I have no idea wtf those people are on about, really. They just argue to argue and I haven't heard much of anything worth listening to from any of them. Some of them are just psychotic and I can't really tell if they're a product of our society and the rabid crusade for identifying with a "cause" or... they're just off their meds.

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Sun, 27. May 18, 09:00

Alan Bean, fourth man to walk on the Moon, has died.

Godspeed, Alan.

One day, we'll run out of people who have actually walked on another extraterrestrial body. That will be a sad day.

Usenko
x3

Post by Usenko » Sun, 27. May 18, 09:20

Dammit. Not another one. :(
Morkonan wrote:What really happened isn't as exciting. Putin flexed his left thigh during his morning ride on a flying bear, right after beating fifty Judo blackbelts, which he does upon rising every morning. (Not that Putin sleeps, it's just that he doesn't want to make others feel inadequate.)

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Sun, 27. May 18, 17:00

It's inevitable that we'll lose the last few who walked on the Moon sooner rather than later, unfortunately--I mean, how old is the youngest of them? 82, I think, for Charlie Duke? It just shows how ridiculous it is that we've never gone back.

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Mon, 28. May 18, 16:20

OK, another death to report. Ted Dabney, co-founder of Atari and co-creator of the original Pong video game, has died:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2018/05/28 ... o_founder/

The world of video games would likely be very different without him. RIP.

birdtable
x4

Post by birdtable » Mon, 28. May 18, 16:46

For any that might be interested I recently watched a tv series (3 in all) on Amazon Prime called " Halt and Catch Fire "... It covered the history of computer evolution from the first portable PC to development of the internet ...( fiction/fact )
A very enjoyable series ...but no naked lizard aliens or starships..

Edit ... maybe one for those that lived through that period but still a great watch.
Edit 2 ... Just checked 4 series... :)

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Mon, 28. May 18, 18:30

Was that meant for this thread, birdtable?

birdtable
x4

Post by birdtable » Mon, 28. May 18, 19:00

It was in reference to the death of Ted Dabney and associated history of PC's plus gaming... the start of text and simple graphic adventures/MMO's and the early history of consoles/FPS games etc etc.... All are covered in Series.
Just a reference point..no more no less.

muppetts
x3tc

Post by muppetts » Fri, 8. Jun 18, 13:36

Shocked and very sad Anthony Bourdain is dead, found passed away in hotel room in France, he was only 61. I loved his CNN programme Parts Uknown, I thought he was a great presenter.

They say it was suicide.
VURT The only Feathers to Fly With......

RegisterMe
x4

Post by RegisterMe » Fri, 8. Jun 18, 14:31

muppetts wrote:Shocked and very sad Anthony Bourdain is dead, found passed away in hotel room in France, he was only 61. I loved his CNN programme Parts Uknown, I thought he was a great presenter.

They say it was suicide.
Yeah, just seen this. I read everything he ever wrote. Gutted right now :( .
I can't breathe.

- George Floyd, 25th May 2020

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Fri, 8. Jun 18, 19:09

muppetts wrote:Shocked and very sad Anthony Bourdain is dead, found passed away in hotel room in France, he was only 61. I loved his CNN programme Parts Uknown, I thought he was a great presenter.

They say it was suicide.
I, too, am upset at hearing of his death. I used to watch his show "No Reservations" on the Travel Channel. He had a wonderful, open, style. But, there was always something "else" there. On a personal level, just in regards to himself, there always seemed to be something he was "about to say" but didn't. Maybe that was part of his appeal, but his truly frank and unabashed exploration of the world was surely why people kept tuning in, day after day.

RIP, Tony. Raise a glass, for you're dining in excellent company, I'm sure.

Return to “Off Topic English”