NEWS: X Rebirth VR Edition, Updates and X4

General discussions about X Rebirth.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

seePyou
x4

Post by seePyou » Fri, 16. Jun 17, 17:29

Any chance of getting this X4 forum page? I just saw a mention on Reddit from a translation made by a French person of a German post, that in X4 we will only fly the two smaller size categories and I think we need to discuss this. It's time to open this to everyone, not just German speakers.

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Fri, 16. Jun 17, 17:36

What's stopping you discussing X4 on this forum, in English, as everyone else has been for some time? There are plenty of threads speculating about it already, including several on the subject of flyable ships.

koyuka
x3

Post by koyuka » Wed, 21. Jun 17, 11:39

CBJ wrote:What's stopping you discussing X4 on this forum, in English, as everyone else has been for some time? There are plenty of threads speculating about it already, including several on the subject of flyable ships.
CBJ are you able to tell us when we will get further information on X4? I check the forum most days but literally no news for months other than the 10 questions that were answered in a forum post. I don't mind waiting as I think its best to take your time with it, but are you able to tell me when the next release of information regarding X4 will be, getting tired of checking forums daily with nothing new.

Thanks

Peter

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Wed, 21. Jun 17, 12:35

No, I'm afraid I can't. There's a little more than just that one forum post, but we're not ready to make any big announcements. When we are ready, though, you can be sure that we'll make it as widely available as possible. Make sure you're signed up for X-News, for example, as we normally follow up a big announcement with an issue of X-News. :)

koyuka
x3

Post by koyuka » Wed, 21. Jun 17, 17:08

I shall just wait eagerly for the return of the good old days of X3 like gaming! :D

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Thu, 22. Jun 17, 12:47

maggaen wrote:Is X:R VR still on track?
We are going to be making XRVR available using Steam's Early Access program very soon, but we may well miss our original target of 1H17 by a few days. We're now aiming for early-to-mid July. :)
Roger L.S. Griffiths wrote:...is XR:VRE going to be a cross-VR solution OR restricted to a specific VR headset/API?
We're aiming to support both Vive and Oculus systems by the time of full release.

koyuka
x3

Post by koyuka » Thu, 22. Jun 17, 14:18

And their was me hoping you had made x rebirth for android and I could play it on my gear vr! :lol:

Sam L.R. Griffiths
x4

Post by Sam L.R. Griffiths » Sat, 24. Jun 17, 00:27

CBJ wrote:
maggaen wrote:Is X:R VR still on track?
We are going tvo be making XRVR available using Steam's Early Access program very soon, but we may well miss our original target of 1H17 by a few days. We're now aiming for early-to-mid July. :)
Thanks for the confirmation, of at least intent :)
CBJ wrote:
Roger L.S. Griffiths wrote:...is XR:VRE going to be a cross-VR solution OR restricted to a specific VR headset/API?
We're aiming to support both Vive and Oculus systems by the time of full release.
Does that mean the initial Beta is going to only support one of them? If so, can you tell us which one?
Lenna (aka [SRK] The_Rabbit)

"Understanding is a three edged sword... your side, their side... and the Truth!" - J.J. Sheriden, Babylon 5 S4E6 T28:55

"May god stand between you and harm in all the dark places you must walk." - Ancient Egyption Proverb

"When eating an elephant take one bite at a time" - Creighton Abrams

UniTrader
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by UniTrader » Sat, 24. Jun 17, 01:01

Roger L.S. Griffiths wrote:
CBJ wrote:
Does that mean the initial Beta is going to only support one of them? If so, can you tell us which one?
disclaimer: this is just my personal guess

i would say they are working on both simultaneously and will publish the first which is good enough for testing (like doesnt crash randomly after a few minutes or where key features bug out) so its pretty much random which one - this is just my personal guess though..
if not stated otherwise everything i post is licensed under WTFPL

Ich mache keine S&M-Auftragsarbeiten, aber wenn es fragen gibt wie man etwas umsetzen kann helfe ich gerne weiter ;)

I wont do Script&Mod Request work, but if there are questions how to do something i will GLaDly help ;)

Reaves_42
x4

Post by Reaves_42 » Sat, 1. Jul 17, 13:08

UniTrader wrote:
Roger L.S. Griffiths wrote:
CBJ wrote:
disclaimer: this is just my personal guess

i would say they are working on both simultaneously and will publish the first which is good enough for testing (like doesnt crash randomly after a few minutes or where key features bug out) so its pretty much random which one - this is just my personal guess though..
Thanks for the info. As an Oculus owner I am eager for this version.

jkflipflop98
x4

Post by jkflipflop98 » Tue, 11. Jul 17, 16:42

Why are you doubling efforts on two VR branches? Just target SteamVR. All HMDs run in SteamVR - they aren't trying to pull any "exclusivity" garbage like Facebook Rift.

Reaves_42
x4

Post by Reaves_42 » Wed, 12. Jul 17, 10:19

jkflipflop98 wrote:Why are you doubling efforts on two VR branches? Just target SteamVR. All HMDs run in SteamVR - they aren't trying to pull any "exclusivity" garbage like Facebook Rift.
I hope it comes to the Oculus store as I hate giving money to evil Valve.

Meester
xr

Post by Meester » Wed, 12. Jul 17, 17:47

Hi
A few things on my wishlist for X4
I'm hoping that there will be full support for hotas systems such as my X55 and have shareable config files for the button mapping so we can try each others setups easily.
Also can the ships have some inertia so as soon as you cut throttle your ship doesn't just stop dead, a gradual stop would feel more realistic.
It would also be nice if full range throttle was supported as i like to toggle between forward and reverse, having no notch on throttle is difficult to find stop position in X Rebirth.

UniTrader
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by UniTrader » Wed, 12. Jul 17, 18:04

jkflipflop98 wrote:Why are you doubling efforts on two VR branches? Just target SteamVR. All HMDs run in SteamVR - they aren't trying to pull any "exclusivity" garbage like Facebook Rift.
could you please read properly instead of jumping to conclusions :roll:

1. i explicitly said it was just my personal guess
2. i am no egosoft employee so i can not give specifics even if i wanted
3. i also did not say there are two branches. in fact i think there is only one which is developed for both Systems, but since both Systems have stuff specific to them, and also possibly Bugs specific to them which dont happen in the other - one of them may be in a test-able state some time earlier than the other. and as previously said this is just my personal guess

Anyone who ignores the Stuff i wrote underlined or in bold and presents what i wrote as fact will get banned. just kidding : P but really - stop spreading opinions as facts.
if not stated otherwise everything i post is licensed under WTFPL

Ich mache keine S&M-Auftragsarbeiten, aber wenn es fragen gibt wie man etwas umsetzen kann helfe ich gerne weiter ;)

I wont do Script&Mod Request work, but if there are questions how to do something i will GLaDly help ;)

Sam L.R. Griffiths
x4

Post by Sam L.R. Griffiths » Wed, 12. Jul 17, 20:23

Reaves_42 wrote:
I hope it comes to the Oculus store as I hate giving money to evil Valve.
Facebook is far worse than Valve on many levels.

Valve for example are not trying to lock people into their solution per se... the standard that the HTC VIVE/Steam VR follows is essentially an open one.

As for Egosoft targeting Steam VR, it is probably their most likely approach IMO. They have been talking about X-Rebirth VRE basically being at least initially released as an early access product and X-Rebirth does make use of the Steam API already.

My concern was primarily due to early discussions regarding VR head sets in these very forums and the focus at the time on the Oculus solution.
Lenna (aka [SRK] The_Rabbit)

"Understanding is a three edged sword... your side, their side... and the Truth!" - J.J. Sheriden, Babylon 5 S4E6 T28:55

"May god stand between you and harm in all the dark places you must walk." - Ancient Egyption Proverb

"When eating an elephant take one bite at a time" - Creighton Abrams

Xenon_Slayer
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by Xenon_Slayer » Thu, 13. Jul 17, 00:14

Let's not have this turn into a Vive VS Rift thread. The reality is, these are the two powerhouses in VR right now. Many of the volunteers who signed up to test XRVR are a decent mix of the two camps.

And while I may not be in the thick of it when it comes to VR development, I can say supporting two systems does not mean double the effort or work. Each has their quirks, sure, but there's been a lot of work done which benefits both (and even the base XR in some areas).

Reaves_42
x4

Post by Reaves_42 » Thu, 13. Jul 17, 05:22

Xenon_Slayer wrote:Let's not have this turn into a Vive VS Rift thread. The reality is, these are the two powerhouses in VR right now. Many of the volunteers who signed up to test XRVR are a decent mix of the two camps.

And while I may not be in the thick of it when it comes to VR development, I can say supporting two systems does not mean double the effort or work. Each has their quirks, sure, but there's been a lot of work done which benefits both (and even the base XR in some areas).
If you need more testers let me know :wink:

I've previously assisted in doing VR testing for apps such as V (http://www.hellov.io/) which allows injection of a browser and therefore video whilst in VR. IE: Watching Netflix while playing Elite.

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Thu, 13. Jul 17, 09:29

There is a thread for you to declare your interest in testing the VR version here.

jkflipflop98
x4

Egoderps

Post by jkflipflop98 » Thu, 13. Jul 17, 14:43

CBJ wrote:There is a thread for you to declare your interest in testing the VR version here.
Why are you doing this? It doesn't make any sense.

From the post you linked to : "Note that not everyone will necessarily be selected for the initial testing as we will be looking for a balanced range of hardware specifications."

Why are you doing this super-secret-squirrel cloak and dagger act? Just put the damned thing on Early Access. There's no reason to select anyone for any "initial testing". Early Access IS Alpha/Beta/RC testing. That is what it's for. We will literally pay you to alpha test your software. This situation is maddening.

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Thu, 13. Jul 17, 15:36

There are several good reasons for having a "private" testing period before a broader early access program. These can include managing the volume of feedback (especially important for a small team), controlling the quality and range of feedback (similarly important for a small team) and avoiding the kind of backlash that many developers get when they put a game into Early Access too soon. None of these reasons involve a "super-secret-squirrel cloak and dagger act", and your impatience to get hold of the game does not change any of these factors.

As it happens, however, we have recently decided that the game is indeed just about ready for Early Access, so the linked sign-up is now being used simply to get an idea of the range of hardware that people have, and also so that we can potentially inform those people directly when Early Access begins so that they can participate as soon as it starts. :)

Return to “X Rebirth Universe”