[X3AP 3.2] BETA Test Feedback - savegames does not work always

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Scripting / Modding Moderators

Aldebaran_Prime
x4

[X3AP 3.2] BETA Test Feedback - savegames does not work always

Post by Aldebaran_Prime » Fri, 23. Dec 16, 11:02

I'm not sure, if this is really a problem of AP 3.2 or my Mod-Collection, but I just wantedt to let you know, that I can't load my savegames after installing AP3.2.

Following procedure and results:
1. Copied vanilla version of X3TC/AP folder to a new folder
2. Copied the non-Steam X3AP.EXE 3.1.01 into the new folder
3. Used the content of my MOD Archive an copied it over the Files in Folder with vanilla copy
4. Started X3AP

A: with X3AP 3.1
5. Started new Game with Enemy of state -> OK
6. Used actual Savegame from the Mod -> OK

B: with X3AP 3.2
5. Started new Game with Enemy of state -> OK
6. Used actual Savegame from the Mod -> NOT OK

For sure, I downloaded the BETA of TC and AL before pulling a copy of the Game-Folder
My Mod brings addtional 05.cat and 06.cat which also overwrites a lot of t-files.
I checked the new 04.cat/dat of AP3.2 - it seems not to bring any new t-files which are in conflict with my mod.

- > at the moment I have no idea, why the savegame of my mod based on AP3.1 should not work with 3.2
:gruebel:
Last edited by Aldebaran_Prime on Fri, 30. Dec 16, 21:56, edited 1 time in total.

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Fri, 23. Dec 16, 11:39

Moving to S&M forum where the modders can take a look as this is not really vanilla beta feedback.

It is up to mod authors to test and if necessary adapt their mods for use with new game release versions (I am unsure that transient betas or RCs would really be worth the effort). Therefore I suspect that you would need to list your active mods and original authors.
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

X2-Illuminatus
Moderator (Deutsch)
Moderator (Deutsch)
x4

Post by X2-Illuminatus » Fri, 23. Dec 16, 21:06

Aldebaran_Prime wrote:I checked the new 04.cat/dat of AP3.2 - it seems not to bring any new t-files which are in conflict with my mod.
What about .obj files? Those were modified in the original TotT Mod iirc. Do you use them too? If so, this would be my guess for a possible conflict.
Nun verfügbar! X3: Farnham's Legacy - Ein neues Kapitel für einen alten Favoriten

Die komplette X-Roman-Reihe jetzt als Kindle E-Books! (Farnhams Legende, Nopileos, X3: Yoshiko, X3: Hüter der Tore, X3: Wächter der Erde)

Neuauflage der fünf X-Romane als Taschenbuch

The official X-novels Farnham's Legend, Nopileos, X3: Yoshiko as Kindle e-books!

Aldebaran_Prime
x4

Post by Aldebaran_Prime » Sat, 24. Dec 16, 11:45

Alan Phipps wrote:Moving to S&M forum where the modders can take a look as this is not really vanilla beta feedback.

It is up to mod authors to test and if necessary adapt their mods for use with new game release versions (I am unsure that transient betas or RCs would really be worth the effort). Therefore I suspect that you would need to list your active mods and original authors.
It was more my intention to let the developers know, that there is a POSSIBLE problem.
If I wanted to get support by the modding community, surely I would have posted it in the modding forum.

Aldebaran_Prime
x4

Post by Aldebaran_Prime » Fri, 30. Dec 16, 21:31

X2-Illuminatus wrote:
Aldebaran_Prime wrote:I checked the new 04.cat/dat of AP3.2 - it seems not to bring any new t-files which are in conflict with my mod.
What about .obj files? Those were modified in the original TotT Mod iirc. Do you use them too? If so, this would be my guess for a possible conflict.
I checked everything what I know about modding and savegame compatibility, but I found no reason yet, why a savegame of X3AP3.1 in combination with my EMC4AP package should not compatible with a X3AP3.2 with the same package. :gruebel:

When I try to load my last savegame there comes always the message:
Error loading savegame, may be corrupt! (save\X13.sav)
When I migrated the TOTT mod to AP it was not possible to migrate the .obj files of X3TC to X3AP - so today there are no modified .obj files in the EMC4AP mod.

For sure, I checked, whether AP3.2 came with additional files or entries in addon/types folder of 04.cat - but is does not.

But I found, that the \L\x3story.obj is different in the 04.cat in X3AP 3.1 and 3.2:
in X3AP 3.1 the file has a size of 2.297.250 Byte in X3AP 3.2 the file has a size of 2.304.474 Byte.

I experimented a little further and installed a fresh copy of X3AP3.2 beta and at top of this my EMC4AP MOD package.
First try: - load my last savegame - and - as expected: “Error loading savegame, may be corrupt! (save\X13.sav)[/”

Second try: I opened the 04.cat of X3AP 3.2 from 16.Dec. with X3 Editor 2 and replaced just the \L\x3story.obj with the one from the 04.cat of X3AP 3.1 from 16.Dec.
After this, I tried again to load my savegame – and voila it works!

As written above, in my mod there are no modifications of .obj files – so I assume, that this problems with loading savegames of X3AP3.1 may occur in larger vanilla savegames with X3AP3.2, too.

VincentTH
x4

Post by VincentTH » Sat, 31. Dec 16, 02:30

FWIW:

I am running Litcube 1.7.2 mod over X3AP 3.2RC1 with no problem.
The LU install is over a "clean install" of X3AP 3.2RC1, and no-Steam 3.1a.

I am willing to try a 3.2Beta no-steam EXE if one is available.

X2-Illuminatus
Moderator (Deutsch)
Moderator (Deutsch)
x4

Post by X2-Illuminatus » Sat, 31. Dec 16, 12:29

Aldebaran_Prime wrote:
Alan Phipps wrote:Moving to S&M forum where the modders can take a look as this is not really vanilla beta feedback.

It was more my intention to let the developers know, that there is a POSSIBLE problem.
If I wanted to get support by the modding community, surely I would have posted it in the modding forum.
The problem with your initial report, however, was that you did not mention what mods you are using nor that you would be the actual mod author. Thus your report sounds similar to the not so uncommon ones, where someone complains that a mod they are using with the latest release version does not work with the beta version yet. Hence, why Alan moved your topic hiere. ;)

But don't worry, I'll ask next week if a dev knows a reason why the said loading error would occur.
Aldebaran_Prime wrote:As written above, in my mod there are no modifications of .obj files – so I assume, that this problems with loading savegames of X3AP3.1 may occur in larger vanilla savegames with X3AP3.2, too.
So the loading error occurs only in advanced savegames (created in the mod based on X3AP version 3.1) or are all savegames affected?

Edit: Have you already tried running the game with the beta version, your mod, and the actual Steam X3AP.exe file (ideally in offline mode or with the update facility disabled, so that no mod files are unintentionally overwritten by Steam) and loading an old savegame then?
VincentTH wrote:I am willing to try a 3.2Beta no-steam EXE if one is available.
Adjusted NoSteam.exe files are usually not provided for beta versions. A new NoSteam.exe will be provided for the release version of X3AP 3.2 though.
Nun verfügbar! X3: Farnham's Legacy - Ein neues Kapitel für einen alten Favoriten

Die komplette X-Roman-Reihe jetzt als Kindle E-Books! (Farnhams Legende, Nopileos, X3: Yoshiko, X3: Hüter der Tore, X3: Wächter der Erde)

Neuauflage der fünf X-Romane als Taschenbuch

The official X-novels Farnham's Legend, Nopileos, X3: Yoshiko as Kindle e-books!

VincentTH
x4

Post by VincentTH » Sat, 31. Dec 16, 20:17

X2-Illuminatus wrote:
VincentTH wrote:I am willing to try a 3.2Beta no-steam EXE if one is available.
Adjusted NoSteam.exe files are usually not provided for beta versions. A new NoSteam.exe will be provided for the release version of X3AP 3.2 though.
That I know :-) I just volunteer to test the NoSteam.exe whenever one is available.

Aldebaran_Prime
x4

Post by Aldebaran_Prime » Sun, 1. Jan 17, 21:34

X2-Illuminatus wrote: But don't worry, I'll ask next week if a dev knows a reason why the said loading error would occur.
perfect - thanks!
X2-Illuminatus wrote: So the loading error occurs only in advanced savegames (created in the mod based on X3AP version 3.1) or are all savegames affected?
I just tested a little more:

1. Started AP 3.1 with EMC4AP 2.0.26 and started a new game - fly around some seconds and created a savegame - quit game
2. Started AP 3.2 with EMC4AP 2.0.26 and load the savegame from 1.) -> works!

3. Took a old savegame of AP 3.0 with EMC4AP 2.0.26 from one year ago (size 23MB)
4. Started AP 3.2 with EMC4AP 2.0.26 and load the savegame from 3.) -> works, too!
5. Tried again to load the latest problem savegame from the start of this thread (size 31MB)-> still causes "savegame corrupt error"

-> so the problem with samegames seems only to occur with larger savegames
X2-Illuminatus wrote: Edit: Have you already tried running the game with the beta version, your mod, and the actual Steam X3AP.exe file (ideally in offline mode or with the update facility disabled, so that no mod files are unintentionally overwritten by Steam) and loading an old savegame then?
yes, I did: Same behavior as with the 3.1.01 no_steam .exe

KlausM
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by KlausM » Mon, 2. Jan 17, 12:15

Possibly the problem is related to the specific savegame, not necessarily to any mod, which would mean that most other saves should work fine, even with the same mod collection.

I'd like to have a look at the savegame that can't be loaded in 3.2. Please upload it here:
http://www.egosoft.com/support/x3ap_savegame_upload.php

Aldebaran_Prime
x4

Post by Aldebaran_Prime » Mon, 2. Jan 17, 21:21

KlausM wrote:Possibly the problem is related to the specific savegame, not necessarily to any mod, which would mean that most other saves should work fine, even with the same mod collection.

I'd like to have a look at the savegame that can't be loaded in 3.2. Please upload it here:
http://www.egosoft.com/support/x3ap_savegame_upload.php

I tried to upload the savegame several times now, but your server resetet the connection after 20 seconds, so it was not possible to finish the upload.

But you can download the savegame from my OneDrive now:

https://onedrive.live.com/embed?cid=FF9 ... 8wlujiFEPo

I'm courious, if you find any/the problem in it.

alternatively here the older savegame based on AP3.0 and a older version of EMC4AP, which can be loaded without any problems into a AP3.1 or AP3.2 based EMC4AP installation
https://onedrive.live.com/embed?cid=FF9 ... J8quRtB_OI

Galactical regards,

Cmdr. Aldebaran

KlausM
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by KlausM » Tue, 3. Jan 17, 11:53

Aldebaran_Prime wrote:I tried to upload the savegame several times now, but your server resetet the connection after 20 seconds, so it was not possible to finish the upload.
The linked upload page shouldn't have that problem. Perhaps you tried uploading the savegame as a forum attachment? That would actually fail after 20 seconds.

Anyway, thanks for the savegame. I've identified the problem: A script was started with a custom hotkey, and it's still running in the savegame. Such savegames from earlier versions of X3AP can't be loaded in a newer version. Apparently that bug is not new, it has been like that since the first X3AP update.

I'll fix this in 3.2 for future versions, and hopefully also for earlier savegames, at least from 3.1.

Aldebaran_Prime
x4

Post by Aldebaran_Prime » Tue, 3. Jan 17, 13:42

KlausM wrote:
Aldebaran_Prime wrote:I tried to upload the savegame several times now, but your server resetet the connection after 20 seconds, so it was not possible to finish the upload.
The linked upload page shouldn't have that problem. Perhaps you tried uploading the savegame as a forum attachment? That would actually fail after 20 seconds.

Anyway, thanks for the savegame. I've identified the problem: A script was started with a custom hotkey, and it's still running in the savegame. Such savegames from earlier versions of X3AP can't be loaded in a newer version. Apparently that bug is not new, it has been like that since the first X3AP update.

I'll fix this in 3.2 for future versions, and hopefully also for earlier savegames, at least from 3.1.
I really just used your url above to try the savegame-upload. I also found, that I'm not able to select Windows 10 as operating system. Only up to Windows 8 is selectable in this form.

However - great, that this was not only a mod-related bug and I was able to help you! :x3:

Please can you tell me the name of the script which still ran in the savegame? I assume, that I need to fix something in my mod, too.

KlausM
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by KlausM » Tue, 3. Jan 17, 14:14

Aldebaran_Prime wrote:Please can you tell me the name of the script which still ran in the savegame? I assume, that I need to fix something in my mod, too.
The script seems to be TOTT.Jump.PTP.Hotkey - however, for the savegame loading issue, you don't have to fix anything in the script yourself, except perhaps as a temporary workaround.

Return to “X³: Terran Conflict / Albion Prelude - Scripts and Modding”