Complex Construction Difficulties (TC)

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

JJRSC
x4

Complex Construction Difficulties (TC)

Post by JJRSC » Sat, 24. Dec 16, 19:24

Happy Holidays, everyone!

That said, I'm having some construction issues. I'm building a complex in Mars sector - good size, 40 stations - and TC isn't letting me place the complex hub where I want to. I've tried a number of times (via reloads) to place the hub a bit south and below the complex (having connected to two southern-most stations with the first construction kit) but the hub keeps getting placed randomly, usually as far north or east and above the complex as possible.

I don't recall having this problem with any other complex I've built - larger or smaller. And the 'plex isn't that close to any of the Terran stations in the sector, so I doubt it has anything to do with proximity. And, yes, I'm placing an advanced satellite and hitting the "K" key to make sure I'm placing the hub where I want it... it's just that after I hit enter, TC places the hub completely randomly.

Any thoughts/theories on what could be going on? More importantly, any solutions? Thank you!

RAVEN.myst
x3tc

Post by RAVEN.myst » Sat, 24. Dec 16, 20:18

Howdy, and Merry X-mas to you, too :)

Building in established Terran space is a tricky proposition, because of the ridiculous (and INVISIBLE) station collision bounding boxes, and because of the heavy traffic in some areas.

My thought/theories/possibilities for your problems:
- If you have placed the complex in a high-traffic area, you may need to wait for a moment when there is a break in the traffic (which may never happen, for that matter.)
- I'm guessing, from your comments, that you have some experience with complex building, so you already know to place the hub some distance away from your own member stations (afterwards, you can place additional factories close, even in contact with, the docking hub, if you choose - but the hub itself is very strict with being kept away from obstacles when it's placed.) So I'm guessing this probably isn't your problem, here.
- The most likely scenario is that the engine is detecting a proximity with a Terran station. You say you're suitably far from any other stations, but those gargantuan Terran stations have excessively large collision detection boxes. Some of the ways you can experience this (and, to an approximate extent, "measure" it) is by trying to target something behind and to the side of a station - you will notice that you have to be WELL away from the station in-between before the correct target is selected. Another way to observe this is by autopiloting around - you will notice the autopilot taking absurdly conservative and roundabout routes (and yet, it is STILL capable of crashing into Terran stations from time to time, most often SPPs - go figure!)

I know this is a bit late and probably not very helpful, but my advice is to stay out of the core Terran sectors for the most part, and if not, to build VERY far away from their stations. Here's another reason for avoiding some Terran sectors: the lack of gate access for your complex's CAGs or other traders. Of course, if you are specifically targeting Terran customers (say, with MREs and C-Rations), then the above doesn't apply.

My only suggestion for your current problem (if you are unable or unwilling to go back in time before you started it), is to see whether you can place your access hub on the far side of your 'plex, or to a side (this would be somewhat better than going all the way over to the far side, of course.) Try, of course, to place in a manner not to force traders to have to travel halfway around the 'plex. This is obviously far from optimal, but may be the best you can get away with, in your situation - sorry :S

Best of luck! I hope you come right.
-
Boron passenger: "You must hurry - my testicles are drying out!"
-
Born on Lave, raised on Freeport 7...
-
The Write Stuff

JJRSC
x4

Post by JJRSC » Sat, 24. Dec 16, 20:33

Thanks for the response. I was wondering if the size of the Terran stations might be futzing things up. I built the plex in the northeast corner of the sector, well above the eliptical (15km or so) which I thought would far enough, but, as you say, maybe not.

I'll play with it a little bit and see what I can do. Worst case scenario my freighters and CAGS have to fly a little farther. I am NOT putting that thing together again.

Best wishes for 2017!

Jimmy C
x3tc

Post by Jimmy C » Mon, 26. Dec 16, 10:12

If you are having problems placing the hub, does that mean none of those 40 stations are connected yet?
In that case, you can also try moving them even further away before trying again.

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”