[X3:AP] Differentiating ship variants

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Isotope

[X3:AP] Differentiating ship variants

Post by Isotope » Sat, 7. Jan 17, 19:51

Is there a way that I can tell which ship variant an NPC is flying?

For example, I see a ship named "argon high tech transporter". I can tell that it's a nova if i go into additional information but I can't tell if it's a vanguard, raider etc.

Right now I'm looking at how much the speed can be upgraded and googling it to see the variant but I was hoping for a more elegant solution.

Sorry if this question was answered - I did a search but no luck.

RAVEN.myst
x3tc

Post by RAVEN.myst » Sat, 7. Jan 17, 21:04

Interesting question. You *might* get more information if you turn on 'verbose computer', but I'm not sure if it will identify the variant. Other than that, I can't think of anything, sorry.

EDIT: I just remembered: I'm pretty sure that the variant is precisely what Betty will NOT specify :S

Additionally, in some cases (but far from all!) different variants have differences in external detail, such as different fairings or such. For example, the Nova Prototype is notably different from the standard model, and if I recall correctly so are the Vanguard and Sentinel versions; another example: Tanker versions of standard freighters replace the cubical storage containers with spherical ones. However, two caveats: firstly, you have to be an expert bird-watcher to know all the visual differences, and secondly, as mentioned above, in many cases there are no visual clues.
Last edited by RAVEN.myst on Sat, 7. Jan 17, 21:41, edited 2 times in total.
-
Boron passenger: "You must hurry - my testicles are drying out!"
-
Born on Lave, raised on Freeport 7...
-
The Write Stuff

ancienthighway
x4

Post by ancienthighway » Sat, 7. Jan 17, 21:30

Each variant is different in slight ways but max speed and cargo space are usually the best way to tell. Shields are a good clue also, except for the Nova series.

Bounce what you see off of the Encyclopedia.

Isotope

Post by Isotope » Sat, 7. Jan 17, 21:40

Yeah, I keep bouncing off google (I find it more convenient to just alt tab than to go through the encyclopedia) so I guess I'll just continue doing that. Good idea with the cargo space, I'll do that.

Thank you both for the input.

RAVEN.myst
x3tc

Post by RAVEN.myst » Sat, 7. Jan 17, 21:44

Good luck! :) (And note the EDIT above regarding visual clues - you will eventually learn to distinguish some models, no doubt.)

Of course, once you...ahem... acquire a particular ship, its previous "Argon Pizza Delivery Service" or whatever designation is removed and replaced with its True Name, so that's another way to do it - "simply" (not alsways quite so "simple", hehehe) take over "for a more detailed examination" :D
-
Boron passenger: "You must hurry - my testicles are drying out!"
-
Born on Lave, raised on Freeport 7...
-
The Write Stuff

Timsup2nothin

Post by Timsup2nothin » Sun, 8. Jan 17, 02:37

Google or the in game encyclopedia...if you are like me you will end up playing so much that things will become so familiar that you stop looking them up.

I also seem to remember being able to tell from the installed equipment, but that may be false memory. I'll investigate. EDIT: Okay, ignore that. Some of the M5s that can't mount a triplex scanner have one "built in," but I see no practical way to know which ones.
Trapper Tim's Guide to CLS 2

On Her Majesty's Secret Service-Dead is Dead, and he is DEAD

Not a DiD, so I guess it's a DiDn't, the story of my first try at AP
Part One, in progress

HEY! AP!! That's new!!!

Solomon Short
x4

Post by Solomon Short » Sun, 8. Jan 17, 11:15

Timsup2nothin wrote:I also seem to remember being able to tell from the installed equipment, but that may be false memory. I'll investigate. EDIT: Okay, ignore that. Some of the M5s that can't mount a triplex scanner have one "built in," but I see no practical way to know which ones.
IIRC the Discoverer (Argon), Kestrel (Teladi), Fujin (Yaki), & Valkyrie (ATF) are the only ones where the whole class can carry M-class cargo or mount a Triplex Scanner, any other M5 with a Triplex Scanner should (again IIRC) be the Raider variant.

ancienthighway
x4

Post by ancienthighway » Sun, 8. Jan 17, 12:47

The Disco Raider and Pirate Harrier Raider have a built in Triplex scanner. I thought the Jaguar Raider did as well, but the Encyclopedia isn't showing one.

Timsup2nothin

Post by Timsup2nothin » Sun, 8. Jan 17, 18:16

I think it does too. That may be a failing in the encyclopedia.
Trapper Tim's Guide to CLS 2

On Her Majesty's Secret Service-Dead is Dead, and he is DEAD

Not a DiD, so I guess it's a DiDn't, the story of my first try at AP
Part One, in progress

HEY! AP!! That's new!!!

jlehtone
x4

Post by jlehtone » Sun, 8. Jan 17, 20:16

Encyclopedia in my game does show Triplex and both Fight on Jaguar Raider, but Pegasus Raider has nothing, neither in encyclopedia nor in actual samples.
Goner Pancake Protector X
Insanity included at no extra charge.
There is no Box. I am the sand.

jkjklkl
x3ap

Post by jkjklkl » Mon, 9. Jan 17, 05:35

Yeah, the Jag Raider definitely comes fitted with a Triplex.

As for the OP:
Personally I don't try to memorize all of the ship variants. The only important ones to know (imo) are the rare ones. For example, all Argon High-Tech Traders are Nova Prototypes with a top speed of 187. In fact all [Race] High-Tech Traders are that race's M3's prototype variant. Similarly, some [Race] Mineral Transporters are that race's TS's Prototype variant. The Vulture Prototype is a favorite of mine, with a top speed of 95 and a max cargo bay of 8000 units.

But that's only really relevant if you're trying to cap specific ships, and if you are, you will quickly memorize the stats of whatever ship you're after simply from looking it up so often. If you're curious about your target's combat capability, it's far more important to equip a freight scanner to see what they're packing. The most important things to look for here are PBGs and missiles, which will ruin your day

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”