X3AP Ceo's Sprite planet count

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

MrFiction
x3ap

X3AP Ceo's Sprite planet count

Post by MrFiction » Mon, 16. Jan 17, 10:24

I enjoy reading the sector descriptions on the map page. I noticed the sector Ceo's Sprite has 4 planets listed. Yet I only count three when I check the sector background.

It's of course a very minor thing, but so far every other sector has the correct planet count.

RAVEN.myst
x3tc

Post by RAVEN.myst » Mon, 16. Jan 17, 10:29

There are a few such discrepancies to be found. Many of those descriptions were written for earlier games in the series, some dating back to X2, or perhaps even earlier. In fact, a few planets and such have even changed appearance quite dramatically (most often from X2 to X3 - within the X3 series, they've remained consistent for the most part, and a couple of subtle changes have no doubt been deliberate, for the sake of evolution - for example, Ore Belt was full of mineable rocks in TC and earlier, but in AP it's virtually barren, which presumably explains why Plutarch have relocated their HQ to Albion: they mined the place empty and have moved on to browner pastures...)
-
Boron passenger: "You must hurry - my testicles are drying out!"
-
Born on Lave, raised on Freeport 7...
-
The Write Stuff

MrFiction
x3ap

Post by MrFiction » Mon, 16. Jan 17, 10:42

Thanks for the info, thought as much. Gotta say I like reading the sector descriptions. The population count seems randomized, but the other general info is nice to read.

X2-Illuminatus
Moderator (Deutsch)
Moderator (Deutsch)
x4

Post by X2-Illuminatus » Mon, 16. Jan 17, 11:09

The Planet count as displayed in the galaxy map is not part of a description text, but filled in by the game automatically based on what objects are present in the sector. Reasons, why you cannot see a planet (moon), often include positioning or lighting.
Nun verfügbar! X3: Farnham's Legacy - Ein neues Kapitel für einen alten Favoriten

Die komplette X-Roman-Reihe jetzt als Kindle E-Books! (Farnhams Legende, Nopileos, X3: Yoshiko, X3: Hüter der Tore, X3: Wächter der Erde)

Neuauflage der fünf X-Romane als Taschenbuch

The official X-novels Farnham's Legend, Nopileos, X3: Yoshiko as Kindle e-books!

RAVEN.myst
x3tc

Post by RAVEN.myst » Mon, 16. Jan 17, 12:02

MrFiction wrote:Gotta say I like reading the sector descriptions.
Me too :) I guess I'm a bit of a lore fanatic. However, there are also in fact a couple of plot missions where familiarity with the galaxy map planet descriptions (such as Treasure Hunt, in X3TC, perhaps one or two others, but I don't now recall) comes in handy :)
-
-
-
The Write Stuff

Xenon_Slayer
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by Xenon_Slayer » Mon, 16. Jan 17, 12:20

X2-Illuminatus wrote:The Planet count as displayed in the galaxy map is not part of a description text, but filled in by the game automatically based on what objects are present in the sector. Reasons, why you cannot see a planet (moon), often include positioning or lighting.
True. Though I can't remember if the hidden UFO base was classed as a planet...

RAVEN.myst
x3tc

Post by RAVEN.myst » Mon, 16. Jan 17, 12:24

Xenon_Slayer wrote:
X2-Illuminatus wrote:The Planet count as displayed in the galaxy map is not part of a description text, but filled in by the game automatically based on what objects are present in the sector. Reasons, why you cannot see a planet (moon), often include positioning or lighting.
True. Though I can't remember if the hidden UFO base was classed as a planet...
Seriously? Starting this again? :P (Well, I guess it HAS been a while...)
:rofl:
-
-
-
The Write Stuff

birdtable
x4

Post by birdtable » Mon, 16. Jan 17, 13:49

""" Hidden UFO Base """ .... That 10 year old theory just got re-ignited.. Never found but always existed somewhere in the Space Time Continuum.
30% were believers, a shameful 50% were realists and 19% suffered from apathy.... :(
Last edited by birdtable on Mon, 16. Jan 17, 15:20, edited 1 time in total.

RAVEN.myst
x3tc

Post by RAVEN.myst » Mon, 16. Jan 17, 15:11

I'm curious about the other 3%... Those In The Know, perhaps? :D And wouldn't it be quite a laugh if the damn thing really exists? (And Xenon_Slayer offers up a tantalisingly plausible "clue" to search for it with... just plausible enough to be a very clever and subtle con! :P )
-
-
-
The Write Stuff

birdtable
x4

Post by birdtable » Mon, 16. Jan 17, 15:33

HaHa ..you spotted my deliberate error of 17% instead of 19% ....(now changed) ...although that still leaves 1% unaccounted for..... Maybe that is where Ian M Banks got his idea for Excession... What is actually observed is the missing UFO base as a transitional point.
Needs a little more misdirection from the Slayer of Xenons for it to be a cunning plan instead of a subtle con.

JJRSC
x4

Post by JJRSC » Mon, 16. Jan 17, 15:49

I'm almost certain the freemasons have a hidden secret base in BHS. Or TUS3. Or another sector.

jlehtone
x4

Post by jlehtone » Mon, 16. Jan 17, 19:13

RAVEN.myst wrote:for example, Ore Belt was full of mineable rocks in TC and earlier, but in AP it's virtually barren, which presumably explains why Plutarch have relocated their HQ to Albion: they mined the place empty and have moved on to browner pastures...)
From this we learn that the X3AP era knows the X2/X3R/X3TC player characters little business as "Plutarch" for I can assure you that there were no Asteroids left in OB once our former characters got "a space station, not a moon" operational there.

Did you have to reveal the controvercial nature of Xenon_Slayer's "hard facts" so quickly? Players have chased UFO's way longer than 10 years. It would have been a ripe time to initiate a whole new generation of unsuspecting players into the "faith". :goner:

@OP: If the number is based on the map, then the game data must have the facts. It would be a S&M operation to query and show the details about the stars therein. The content of textual descriptions on the other hand is slightly out of sync, just like Ford Prefect's detailed factual entry never made it into the Guide ...
Goner Pancake Protector X
Insanity included at no extra charge.
There is no Box. I am the sand.

RAVEN.myst
x3tc

Post by RAVEN.myst » Mon, 16. Jan 17, 19:46

jlehtone wrote:Did you have to reveal the controvercial nature of Xenon_Slayer's "hard facts" so quickly?
Mmmm, upon reflection, yes I do now regret it... could have had some fun with this... *evil grin* (Though, tbh, there's a little too little traffic around here [and most of it vets, in any case! heheh] for it to have gone particularly far...)

So, no sector with ["slightly" edited] description "Mostly harmless"...
-
-
-
The Write Stuff

birdtable
x4

Post by birdtable » Mon, 16. Jan 17, 20:38

Hello Hello ...Old vet shuffles in, shuts door ...... Hello Hello ...Old vet shuffles around ...Opens door, looks around shuts door.

jorganos
x3tc

Post by jorganos » Fri, 20. Jan 17, 11:00

Speaking of missing stations, I would have loved to keep those space fly breeding stations in X2's Family Tkr that were gone in X3.

KMcr
x4

Post by KMcr » Sat, 21. Jan 17, 20:24

Glad I read the whole thread before firing up my current game and searching for a UFO base :)

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”