Mass Effect: Andromeda

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

red assassin
x3

Post by red assassin » Sun, 20. Aug 17, 23:36

Golden_Gonads wrote:Reading that article, they seem to have given up on it completely and will finish off the story in a couple of comics... Seems a bit like throwing the baby out with the bathwater.
Yeah, I said this after the first rumours about them killing it off came out a couple of months back, but they seem to have taken entirely the wrong lesson from this whole débâcle. It seems like somebody in upper management has attempted to figure out went wrong, and rather than coming to any conclusion about how the project was mismanaged (because that would involve accepting some fault somewhere), decided in a vaguely baffled manner that something's terribly wrong with the whole franchise. I'm doubly grumpy about it because a) I actually had a lot of fun with Andromeda, despite its flaws, and was really looking forward to the obvious DLC hook at the end, and b) I was really hoping lessons would be learnt and the sequel would live up to the potential properly. Sigh.
A still more glorious dawn awaits, not a sunrise, but a galaxy rise, a morning filled with 400 billion suns - the rising of the Milky Way

Ketraar
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by Ketraar » Mon, 21. Aug 17, 01:22

Just give the rights to Marvel. :-P

MFG

Ketraar

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Mon, 21. Aug 17, 09:33

red assassin wrote:but they seem to have taken entirely the wrong lesson from this whole débâcle. It seems like somebody in upper management has attempted to figure out went wrong, and rather than coming to any conclusion about how the project was mismanaged (because that would involve accepting some fault somewhere)
You know, you could have replaced this entire section with "EA, amirite?" and everybody would have known what you meant. :wink:

korio
Moderator (Español)
Moderator (Español)
x4

Post by korio » Mon, 21. Aug 17, 10:09

i had read some time ago somewhere a little history about the development of the game and all the problems with it.

It was a really convoluted development, they changed a couple times the "direction" behind the game, changed some key features a couple times too, the studio couldn't make the deadlines and i think 6 months or so before launch date they gave the project again to the studio that did the other mass effect games in hopes they will fix everything in the last minute.

The game is a clear mirror of all the problems they had "in house" and the lack of a strong hand directing everything in the good way.

Despite of all, i enjoyed it and liked the history, but it felt "soul less" nothing like the other mass effect games that take you and immerse yourself in the game, the environment and the history, this one was more a "meh" than a "WOW!" but it was still "good".

Sorkvild
x3tc

Post by Sorkvild » Mon, 21. Aug 17, 12:09

This article says clearly what went wrong with MEA

https://www.extremetech.com/gaming/2505 ... -andromeda

To me this game was like a mediocre spinoff rather than a solid continuation. All these rubber faces, bad animations, bland characters and so-so story... Speaking of facial animations, ME from 2007 looks better than this. Anyways I'm glad that Bioware Montreal was put to rest and there will be no more embarrassing Mass Effects.
As a hardcore fan of original ME trilogy I was like doing "sigh" all the time seeing MEA in action and especially hearing all those hilarious dialogues and seeing character' unnatural facial reactions and no more Sara Ryder, I'm glad this shit is over. Rest in Peace. Do not excavate. Praise the trilogy.
Now Bioware (main branch) is working on their next big title called "Anthem". Something tells me this could be hitter like ME was back in the day.
Elite Dangerous| I survived the Dragon Incident ... then I took an arrow to the knee
We want the Boron back!

Memnoch

Post by Memnoch » Mon, 21. Aug 17, 16:07

As bad as the game may be, this is just another case of EA showing contempt for the buying public. Pull the plug on it the instant it looks like things are going south.

Ketraar
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by Ketraar » Mon, 21. Aug 17, 16:10

But isnt Anthem MMO Desteny "clone"? Not sure why I should feel good for them to shut down a perfectly good universe, they had all the ingredients, all it would have needed is care. Its not a indy-dev with limited resources trying a new thing. This is EA Bioware with an established franchise, regardless of the butchery they did in ME3 they have a huge fanbase that clearly was willing to buy more ME, as you said it lacks characters.

dunkey said it best imho (strong language)

MFG

Ketraar

Jericho
x2

Post by Jericho » Thu, 24. Aug 17, 11:55

The thing is, Andromeda had moments of greatness.

1) Trying to solve the murder/disappearance of Jein Garcen (Spelling?) your leader. Discovering that secret room was like "OOOOohhhhh Yes! Finally the game is going somewhere!!!!" Then.... NOTHING.

2) The mysterious benefactor to the mission, started great, then just ended same as the murder mystery.

3) The first vault was so much fun, and felt like you were exploring proper Mass Effect. Subsequent vaults, not so much.

Fighting flying robots just isn't fun. Shooting humans/turians/krogan is far more fun.

When I read the Uprising book before the game came out, the book implied that there were very few exiles from the Nexus, after all the Nexus wasn't holding that many people. Yet according to my stats, I've killed over 1000 humans, and countless turians.

It has never been explained why the PATHFINDERS were supposed to arrive 1 year AFTER the Nexus. What is the bloody point of that? Surely the PATHFINDERS should be on the Nexus and FIND PATHS when they arrive, so that the arcs have somewhere to go when they arrive.

This is the equivalent of the president of the USA arriving by himself in Russia, attending all his meetings, boarding the plane to go home, and then the secret service arrive to serve his inflight meal.

One huge missed opportunity was the Scourge.
They used the magic Quarian FTL telescopes to find these golden worlds, but they didn't know that these worlds were all terraformed. And at some point over the 600 years, those terraforming machines had all broken.

I was expecting to find out that it was our use of the magic FTL telescopes that had broken the machines and caused the Scourge (Unintended side effect of the magic technology on the vaults). I even thought it was being implied in some of the dialogue choices that this is where we were going. instead, it's just "because" like everything else.

This game was such a wasted opportunity.
"I've got a bad feeling about this!" Harrison Ford, 5 times a year, trying to land his plane.

TSM
Not a Moderator
x4

Post by TSM » Thu, 24. Aug 17, 12:59

@Jericho yep have same feelings about game as you.

Loved ME 1,2,3 they have replayability, I cant see my playing Andromeda again any time soon. :(
FAQ's Egosoft Interactive FAQ
Egosoft Wiki

SteveMill
x4

Post by SteveMill » Tue, 29. Aug 17, 20:34

Picked it up for £17.

Sure, some of the most stupid bugs have gone but nothing can fix the terrible writing and the at best forgettable and at worst downright annoying characters.

Okay, the shooting stuff side is okay but that's a secindary part of the package.

It's not a bad game for me, just boring.

Jericho
x2

Post by Jericho » Wed, 30. Aug 17, 10:56

SteveMill wrote: downright annoying characters.
I hate Liam. You can hear the voice actor's cheeks and lips moving around his face trying to get the words out. His tongue is just too big.

I've actually just restarted the game last night, because I'm a hypocrite.

Enjoying the combat. Just trying to force myself to think that it ISN'T Mass Effect, and I might like it a bit better.
"I've got a bad feeling about this!" Harrison Ford, 5 times a year, trying to land his plane.

Stars_InTheirEyes
x4

Post by Stars_InTheirEyes » Thu, 31. Aug 17, 02:27

This best decision I made this year was cancelling my order for this a week before release and instead getting Nier: Automata which came out around the same time.
Sometimes I stream stuff: https://www.twitch.tv/sorata77 (currently World of Tanks)
This sı not ǝpısdn down.
MyAnimeList,
Steam: Sorata

Jericho
x2

Post by Jericho » Thu, 31. Aug 17, 10:02

Stars_InTheirEyes wrote:This best decision I made this year was cancelling my order for this a week before release and instead getting Nier: Automata which came out around the same time.
If I had the willpower, I probably would have cancelled too. I just kept hoping...

I get confused about which one Nier is, as there were two games out at the same time with similar names. I don't google non-work things anymore unless I know the results are safe, the firewall has become 'robust' as of late.

Golden_Gonads
x3tc

Post by Golden_Gonads » Mon, 4. Sep 17, 15:00

I've just completed the trilogy for just the second time and started Andromeda this morning (Picked up a digital download off game.co.uk for £14.50)... And I am really not impressed despite having played only an hour or so. I didn't like ME2 or 3 much (2 because it's all act 1 (gather the party before venturing forth) and 3 because it's just a bunch of mini-adventures thrown together (and the ending ignores what you accomplish ingame)).

I'll have another crack at it tomorrow, but... Not impressed. Even with everything I've heard the last year or so.

burger1
x3tc

Post by burger1 » Mon, 4. Sep 17, 17:50

I liked it overall. It got boring about half way through like Dragon Age Inquisition. The combat was better than the previous series. The story not so much. I liked the way previous titles delivered the story and the mystery in them. I also thought ME3 was the low point of the series story wise. The dark matter ending would have been better. I have only 48 hours in Mass Effect Andromeda but I feel it was worth the money I paid.

The open world needs more interesting places/people maybe like the Fallout series? Open world games seem to have some inherent problems.

Return to “Off Topic English”