Universe traders asking for Fight Command Software [X3TC]

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

amoe
x4

Universe traders asking for Fight Command Software [X3TC]

Post by amoe » Tue, 7. Feb 17, 15:15

I have about 4 universe traders. When I issue the universe trader command, they send me a message asking me to install Fight Command Software (can't remember which Mk). However, they continue to act as UTs regardless.

Why should I install the software on them? I don't want them to fight, and they can release fighter drones without the software. So what would be the advantage of installing it?

Cheers!

RAVEN.myst
x3tc

Post by RAVEN.myst » Tue, 7. Feb 17, 15:33

The FCSs allow certain types of turret commands to be run. I understand that you don't want your freighters to fight, but it's not like giving them FCS will turn them into bloodthirsty glory-seekers - and next time a single N or M kills one of your UTs, you'll wish it could use its turret to defend itself (trust me, I speak from experience - it's not only frustrating and infuriating for a freighter to fall to an N, but downright embarrassing :D ) Regarding drones - are you absolutely *sure* that they still function? I mean automatically, not by your explicit manual command. On the CAG and CLS traders, FCS1 is required for the trader to automatically restock and deploy drones - it *may* be the same for UT (but I'm not sure.) Having both FCSs + some mosquito missiles will allow your UTs to run the Missile Defense Mosquito special command (assuming you have the Bonus Pack installed), which uses mosquitoes to shoot down incoming missiles (as far as I know, in-sector only, so this isn't as important, though is handy if your UT gets in trouble and you fly out to help it.)
-
Boron passenger: "You must hurry - my testicles are drying out!"
-
Born on Lave, raised on Freeport 7...
-
The Write Stuff

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Tue, 7. Feb 17, 16:44

Short answer: UTs in X3TC do not *need* any Fight Software or shields to be UTs.

Longer answer: there may be times when you order a UT ship to do something else for a while and at such times having good shields and the Fight Softwares with any Bonus Pack Mosquito Missile Defence & restocking advantages that might come from having those softwares could indeed then be useful.

HINT: Don't task an experienced Mk 3 Trader ST/LT/UT pilot ship to do CLS/CAG duties or vice versa.

More here.
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

delray
x3tc

Post by delray » Tue, 7. Feb 17, 17:49

People overestimate heavily the needs of UTs for software. 1MJ shield + Trade mk3 really (and surprisingly) is enough to run them. Especially now that we can essentially blacklist them from ever being in danger.

I had a pilot train to level 25 starting with only those two items installed so I know it for a fact.

Your UTs will buy themselves what they need (even speed and cargo space upgrades, and a jumpdrive when they actually know how to use one properly). You really don't need to put much money on them initially, and they will take ages to break even if you over-invest.

Your UT will be making (roughly) 80-120k per hour when it reaches max level. Putting an extra million worth of softwares on it adds another 10 hours before it breaks even.

My advice: Trade mk3 (so it can run command), Triplex (so it can see Xenons chasing him), max shield (just in case, sometimes Xenons get lost chasing RRFs and may be found deep in supposedly safe space), max speed (so they don't get outpaced to deals), and... you're good to go.
Where is it?

X2-Illuminatus
Moderator (Deutsch)
Moderator (Deutsch)
x4

Post by X2-Illuminatus » Tue, 7. Feb 17, 19:58

amoe wrote:Why should I install the software on them? I don't want them to fight, and they can release fighter drones without the software. So what would be the advantage of installing it?
If the two Fight Command Softwares are installed, you're universe trader will also visit unsecure sectors. While without them, the trader will always check its blacklist first. What it will never do is attacking the enemy. The universe trader will always flee and inform you about the attack instead.
An advantage of installing these two softwares can be that the universe trader might make more money. This will most-likely only be noticeable, when the trader has problems finding trade deals anyhow and is then also blocked by an overprotective blacklist setting. Not finding a deal means the trader will idle (or remain in standby) for about 10 minutes, while a temporary entry in the blacklist will only remain for 8 minutes. Of course, installing the softwares comes at the risk of being more likely to lose traders.
delray wrote:People overestimate heavily the needs of UTs for software.
Probably a reminiscence of X3R times, when the Universe Trader indeed required the Fight Command Softwares and at least one 25 MW shield, before it could be started. Also people tend to mix up UTs with CAG/CLS, which also have different requirements.
delray wrote:My advice: Trade mk3 (so it can run command), Triplex (so it can see Xenons chasing him), max shield (just in case, sometimes Xenons get lost chasing RRFs and may be found deep in supposedly safe space), max speed (so they don't get outpaced to deals), and... you're good to go.
RRFs do not exist in X3TC. ;) (Full shielding is still a good idea.)
Installing a jumpdrive manually can make sense for a Universe trader, who is about to reach level 12. While one is ordered, when the trader reaches level 12, they will do so at a higher cost (depending on the distance to the actual selling location). Also in theory the trader can already use the jumpdrive to flee at lower levels, whereby it needs Energy cells for that, which, when given them manually too, will most-likely be sold at a standard energy trade run. The same is true for Fight drones. Additionally, if you want to move your trader to another ship, the Special Command Software needs to be installed.
Nun verfügbar! X3: Farnham's Legacy - Ein neues Kapitel für einen alten Favoriten

Die komplette X-Roman-Reihe jetzt als Kindle E-Books! (Farnhams Legende, Nopileos, X3: Yoshiko, X3: Hüter der Tore, X3: Wächter der Erde)

Neuauflage der fünf X-Romane als Taschenbuch

The official X-novels Farnham's Legend, Nopileos, X3: Yoshiko as Kindle e-books!

Nanook
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Nanook » Tue, 7. Feb 17, 20:35

X2-Illuminatus wrote:... it needs Energy cells for that, which, when given them manually too, will most-likely be sold at a standard energy trade run. The same is true for Fight drones. ...
Unless I'm mistaken, UT's will only sell what they personally just bought. This is a design decision to keep them from doing precisely what you said. And there's a side effect to this whereby when a UT, for whatever reason, doesn't sell his full load of wares, may keep those wares in the cargo hold and never sell them.
Have a great idea for the current or a future game? You can post it in the [L3+] Ideas forum.

X4 is a journey, not a destination. Have fun on your travels.

Sirrobert
x3ap

Post by Sirrobert » Tue, 7. Feb 17, 20:37

Nanook wrote:
X2-Illuminatus wrote:... it needs Energy cells for that, which, when given them manually too, will most-likely be sold at a standard energy trade run. The same is true for Fight drones. ...
Unless I'm mistaken, UT's will only sell what they personally just bought. This is a design decision to keep them from doing precisely what you said. And there's a side effect to this whereby when a UT, for whatever reason, doesn't sell his full load of wares, may keep those wares in the cargo hold and never sell them.
Mods do a great job fixing that though.
9 out of 10 voices in my head say I'm crazy. The 10th is singing the music from Tetris

X2-Illuminatus
Moderator (Deutsch)
Moderator (Deutsch)
x4

Post by X2-Illuminatus » Tue, 7. Feb 17, 20:54

Nanook wrote:
Unless I'm mistaken, UT's will only sell what they personally just bought. ...
I'm pretty sure that there is no conncetion between the buy and sell amount. Meaning the Mk3 trader will sell the complete* amount of the trading ware in its cargo bay, if possible.

(*Complete amount minus a fuel reserve, whereby I do not remember whether the fuel reserve is already maintained, when the UT is not capable of using a jumpdrive.)
Nun verfügbar! X3: Farnham's Legacy - Ein neues Kapitel für einen alten Favoriten

Die komplette X-Roman-Reihe jetzt als Kindle E-Books! (Farnhams Legende, Nopileos, X3: Yoshiko, X3: Hüter der Tore, X3: Wächter der Erde)

Neuauflage der fünf X-Romane als Taschenbuch

The official X-novels Farnham's Legend, Nopileos, X3: Yoshiko as Kindle e-books!

jlehtone
x4

Post by jlehtone » Tue, 7. Feb 17, 21:02

X2-Illuminatus wrote:If the two Fight Command Softwares are installed, you're universe trader will also visit unsecure sectors.
That is like X3R CAG/CLS; the X2/X3R interface did not offer nice menus to change options, so the Union Pilots used a workaround: "If my ship has useless item X, then I will do Y".

The Trade Mk3 pilots of X3R did live my mantra: "I take orders from no-one". Do they still formally do that, refusing the nice menus (except the Blacklist Broker's announcements), but nevertheless take hints "under the table" like the Union used to do?

Different styles, goals, and ideals. Diversity is good; gives us choices.
Goner Pancake Protector X
Insanity included at no extra charge.
There is no Box. I am the sand.

Nanook
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Nanook » Tue, 7. Feb 17, 21:06

X2-Illuminatus wrote:...
I'm pretty sure that there is no conncetion between the buy and sell amount. Meaning the Mk3 trader will sell the complete* amount of the trading ware in its cargo bay, if possible....
Again, unless I'm mistaken, a UT first makes sure it has a place to sell its cargo before purchasing. Then it buys what it perceives it can sell. This means that when it gets to the buyer, it sells what it just bought, if possible. From my experience, the amount it sells is set at the time of purchase, and only changes if it can't sell it all because an NPC beat it there. As I said previously, this mechanism was introduced to prevent a UT from selling off its shields, drones, etc. Otherwise, all of our UT's would eventually end up 'naked'. :P
Have a great idea for the current or a future game? You can post it in the [L3+] Ideas forum.

delray
x3tc

Post by delray » Tue, 7. Feb 17, 23:19

UT first searches for all possible sellers in range (based on experience), then diminishes that list based on blacklist (blacklist includes the player's blacklist and also the automatic blacklist where other UTs reserved that station for themselves, by the way), if it's allowed to dock there, if it can even carry the good size in question. It will exclude all sectors where it can see at least 1 enemy ship (using scanners from other player's assets).

Then it compares the prices of wares available in stations vs their average prices and the amount available for sale. As in, finds out how much below average price each station is selling.

Then it finds the stations to sell to, again based on his movement restrictions, the amounts they buy and the difference between buying price and average price (aka profit).

When it compares price_diff*amount_available_for_sale*freighter_cargo_space of buying and selling for each route, it can pick the most profitable available route within range.

When deciding that, it weights deals based on distance, it also keeps stations in reserve in case it gets outpaced to the original buyer it picked. Just like Nanook wrote, he knows throughout how much he'll buy and carry, but if it gets outpaced to a deal, he might sell a part of original amount before going to a reserve station.

Sections related to Fight Command 1&2 and 25mj shields are commented out in AP. Can't remember if they were in TC.

Regarding fuel, it appears it'll maintain 205+4% cargo space of fuel and it'll buy extra fuel if it ever needs more to jump to make specific deal it wants to make. If it can't tank within range, he will order fuel the way it orders Jump Drive (with delivery). Not sure I'm reading this part of script right though.
Where is it?

RainerPrem
x4

Post by RainerPrem » Wed, 8. Feb 17, 05:49

Hi,
Nanook wrote:
But in the latter case it stops and informs you about that. So you can sell those wares manually.

cu
Rainer

Nanook
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Nanook » Wed, 8. Feb 17, 20:56

Assuming the message doesn't get lost in all the other noises going on at the time.

Snafu_X3
x3tc

Post by Snafu_X3 » Thu, 9. Feb 17, 02:02

RainerPrem wrote:Hi,
Nanook wrote:
But in the latter case it stops and informs you about that. So you can sell those wares manually.
This behaviour must've changed from X3:TC (or possibly even X3:R). IME UTs will 'internally reserve' a certain amount of cargo for fuel (Ecells) + drones + mosquitoes as appropriate, & only deplete those stocks as necessary for their trade trips/defence as appropriate: their available 'trade goods' cargo space is separately calculated taking into consideration these reductions

Personally I use the default CP options to set a minimum range 20 (emergency) jump Ecells to every UT, which means they restock every time they land in an appropriate station.. but then I tend to only have about 5 UTs active in the galaxy at any time, even with the Enhanced script active (it's too easy to make money otherwise IMO)..
Wiki X:R 1st Tit capping
Wiki X3:TC vanilla: Guide to generic missions, Guide to finding & capping Aran
Never played AP; all X3 advice is based on vanilla+bonus pack TC or before: AP has not changed much WRT general advice.

I know how to spell teladiuminumiumium, I just don't know when to stop!

Dom (Wiki Moderator) 8-) DxDiag

RainerPrem
x4

Post by RainerPrem » Thu, 9. Feb 17, 06:27

Hi,
Nanook wrote:Assuming the message doesn't get lost in all the other noises going on at the time.
It is a "Finished my job" message (don't know how exactly it's phrased in English), which you have to acknowledge.

cu
Rainer

Nanook
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Nanook » Thu, 9. Feb 17, 20:20

I don't think UT's give those messages, at least not by default. I usually cycle through my UT's/LT's to see if they've gone idle, indicating a problem. I don't recall them being all that talkative.

RainerPrem
x4

Post by RainerPrem » Fri, 10. Feb 17, 06:22

Hi,
Nanook wrote:I don't think UT's give those messages, at least not by default. I usually cycle through my UT's/LT's to see if they've gone idle, indicating a problem. I don't recall them being all that talkative.
Mine do.

Did you set the flag "Inform me when your job has ended" in the command screen? All my ships have that flag set, which is unfortunately not the default.

cu
Rainer

delray
x3tc

Post by delray » Fri, 10. Feb 17, 13:20

It's not default because when you have 2000 ships it'd make you insane to hear BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP ten times a second.
Where is it?

Snafu_X3
x3tc

Post by Snafu_X3 » Fri, 10. Feb 17, 15:57

delray wrote:It's not default because when you have 2000 ships it'd make you insane to hear BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP ten times a second.
You get that many failed UT trips? It'll only beep if the commander can't complete & is confused about what to do next, IME..
Wiki X:R 1st Tit capping
Wiki X3:TC vanilla: Guide to generic missions, Guide to finding & capping Aran
Never played AP; all X3 advice is based on vanilla+bonus pack TC or before: AP has not changed much WRT general advice.

I know how to spell teladiuminumiumium, I just don't know when to stop!

Dom (Wiki Moderator) 8-) DxDiag

Nanook
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Nanook » Fri, 10. Feb 17, 17:55

Ships other than UT's can use that feature, so if it's set by default, all those other ships doing things for the player will also 'beep'.

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”