AP vanilla first boarding

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Staja Bepon
x4

AP vanilla first boarding

Post by Staja Bepon » Wed, 15. Feb 17, 01:39

Ha turned out pretty rough with my 8 marines against a pirate centaur. But I finally boarded my first ship, been playing off and on since x2. I mostly played trader roll, but now trying to learn all the other fun stuff. The ship ended up with 26% hull and lost 4 crappy marines, but man what satisfaction it was. Wife doesn't understand why im so happy, so i figured you guys would.

RAVEN.myst
x3tc

Post by RAVEN.myst » Wed, 15. Feb 17, 01:47

I know I certainly do :) Well done! That's quite a tough target for a first boarding attempt, too. If you want a more reasonable type of target for training low-level marines, I suggest TMs - they move slowly, have fewer weapons, and also only 2 decks for your marines to fight through, so survival rates are better.

Enjoy your new(ish! heheh) Centaur - or the proceeds from selling it, whichever...

Good hunting! :)
-
Boron passenger: "You must hurry - my testicles are drying out!"
-
Born on Lave, raised on Freeport 7...
-
The Write Stuff

Timsup2nothin

Post by Timsup2nothin » Wed, 15. Feb 17, 01:51

I completely understand. When you have nothing but a corvette and eight borderline marines a successful boarding op is a serious :D moment. Boarding another corvette is double cool!
Trapper Tim's Guide to CLS 2

On Her Majesty's Secret Service-Dead is Dead, and he is DEAD

Not a DiD, so I guess it's a DiDn't, the story of my first try at AP
Part One, in progress

HEY! AP!! That's new!!!

Staja Bepon
x4

Post by Staja Bepon » Wed, 15. Feb 17, 01:57

thanks guys, and thanks for the tip raven, it was very difficult, had to reload save approximately 6+ times i think. Some i dropped off to early they died and some i didnt get away from my own ship getting damaged. But I learned alot doing so many things wrong. think TM will be my next try. Oh btw not sure i can sell it, being my 1st trophy and all.

RAVEN.myst
x3tc

Post by RAVEN.myst » Wed, 15. Feb 17, 02:25

Staja Bepon wrote:thanks guys, and thanks for the tip raven,
You're welcome :) :thumb_up:
Staja Bepon wrote: But I learned alot doing so many things wrong.
That's the very definition of "valuable lessons".
Staja Bepon wrote:Oh btw not sure i can sell it, being my 1st trophy and all.
I completely understand - and agree :) And if it takes you a while to get it fixed up (whether by repair laser or by shipyard), it can be your personal restoration project, rather like getting an old jalopy and gradually transforming it from a rust-bucket into a roadworthy vintage classic hot-rod babe-magnet - oh wait, you're married... :D

Incidentally, a Centaur is in itself not a bad boarding vessel - it's a bit slow, but it can mount Ion Disruptors, if you want to disable the target's weapons and defensive upgrades first, and it has good turret coverage, so you can use your turret on/off hotkey to easily control the damage dealt to the target to keep its shields down while avoiding unnecessary collateral damage, no matter where the target is relative to you.
-
-
-
The Write Stuff

delray
x3tc

Post by delray » Wed, 15. Feb 17, 02:52

Now Duke's Zeus. :-)
Where is it?

RAVEN.myst
x3tc

Post by RAVEN.myst » Wed, 15. Feb 17, 03:10

delray wrote:Now Duke's Zeus. :-)
Hahahah! In my early X3TC games, I captured soooooooo many Paranid (not usually Duke's - maybe I simply didn't think of it back then, ehehehh) Zeuses... Zeuss? Zeusi? Zei? Whatever :P And I did those the painstaking way, too - Griffon I got from the Operation Final Fury (now available at an Argon shipyard near you!) fitted with lots of Ion Disruptors, nestling in blind(ish) spots and burning the Zeus's installed guns etc for aaaaaages. (Nowadays, of course, it's calculated and timed HHTs and FBMs - much quicker...)
-
-
-
The Write Stuff

Timsup2nothin

Post by Timsup2nothin » Wed, 15. Feb 17, 04:31

RAVEN.myst wrote: Incidentally, a Centaur is in itself not a bad boarding vessel - it's a bit slow, but it can mount Ion Disruptors, if you want to disable the target's weapons and defensive upgrades first, and it has good turret coverage, so you can use your turret on/off hotkey to easily control the damage dealt to the target to keep its shields down while avoiding unnecessary collateral damage, no matter where the target is relative to you.
I find that my Centaur with IREs in the turrets is perfect for taking TMs. I have a set of two PACs in the mains that I have to use every once in a great while to pop shields back down to 1%, but with one or two IREs pounding away from the turrets they go up really slowly, and the IREs never actually cut all the way through the shields.
Trapper Tim's Guide to CLS 2

On Her Majesty's Secret Service-Dead is Dead, and he is DEAD

Not a DiD, so I guess it's a DiDn't, the story of my first try at AP
Part One, in progress

HEY! AP!! That's new!!!

RAVEN.myst
x3tc

Post by RAVEN.myst » Wed, 15. Feb 17, 04:51

Timsup2nothin wrote:I find that my Centaur with IREs in the turrets is perfect for taking TMs. I have a set of two PACs in the mains that I have to use every once in a great while to pop shields back down to 1%, but with one or two IREs pounding away from the turrets they go up really slowly, and the IREs never actually cut all the way through the shields.
I like. And even if the IREs do get through the whole shield (briefly!), then they're doing negligible damage to a boardable vessel, while still granting the chance of knocking out an installed system (which is an advantage more often than a disadvantage, imo.) Next time I'm buccaneering in a Centaur, I will use this. :)
-
-
-
The Write Stuff

ubuntufreakdragon
x4

Post by ubuntufreakdragon » Wed, 15. Feb 17, 13:08

I personally hate ion-disruptors on boarding operations, they sometimes jump over to the incoming boarding pods and there are only a few ships that can mount them, so I always opt for IRE and I prefer to use fight-drones for this as they additionally distract the turrets.
My X3 Mods

XRebirth, things left to patch:
In General; On Firing NPC's; In De Vries; Out Of Zone; And the Antiwishlist

RAVEN.myst
x3tc

Post by RAVEN.myst » Wed, 15. Feb 17, 13:21

ubuntufreakdragon wrote:I personally hate ion-disruptors on boarding operations, they sometimes jump over to the incoming boarding pods and there are only a few ships that can mount them, so I always opt for IRE and I prefer to use fight-drones for this as they additionally distract the turrets.
I used to use IonDs heavily when I was a "younger" player, but have also moved away from them somewhat. I may use them occasionally (shooting down my pods isn't an issue, so long as I'm careful), but I find that the ion-fry method just takes too long, and also by destroying installed systems it lowers the value of the prize. Basically, now I use IonDs if I need to get rid of defensive systems such as internal sentry lasers and advanced firewalls, though once the marines are skilled enough even these don't worry them much.
-
-
-
The Write Stuff

hisazul
xr

Post by hisazul » Wed, 15. Feb 17, 13:47

When you don't board often, you tend to collect trophies, but then you end up with 10 sectors worth of "trophies" sitting everywhere and realize that the magic is finally gone. Not as good of a feeling as getting a first m6 vs. m6 boarding but still glorious.
“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.” - Albert Einstein

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”