Docking woes

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

risingfish

Docking woes

Post by risingfish » Sun, 19. Feb 17, 18:56

I just started playing Albion X3, and a beautiful game it is, but for the life of me I can't get my extra ship to dock. I started the game as a Humble Trader as most tutorials suggest. I've not found a solution via google yet, so I thought I would come to the source. Has anyone found a reliable way to get your wingman to dock?

I checked the dock and I was the only ship docked when I landed so there was room for the wingman.
~R

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Sun, 19. Feb 17, 19:21

It depends rather. Only one station docking place is ever reserved for the player. All other slots can be reserved by NPCs that may be in transit to the station, even if still several sectors away.

There can another issue if you are IS with the ship docking (which you obviously are if you are already docked there). The ship gets near to the docking arm and stops just short of the sweet spot for docking. Every 5 seconds it shifts a tiny bit up and forward, but this can take a while to actually trigger docking. Going OOS or engaging SETA usually gets the docking over with - but neither are available if you are already docked.

Lastly some large stations (eg Terran or Aldrin) have such large collision boxes that AI controlled ship will approach and then head off out again when trying to dock. Being OOS is the best solution for this problem.

Moving from Tech Sp to X Trilogy Universe (gameplay) forum.
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

risingfish

Post by risingfish » Sun, 19. Feb 17, 19:22

Nm, I was able to go into the sector map and order the ship to dock. Is there an easier way?
~R

X2-Illuminatus
Moderator (Deutsch)
Moderator (Deutsch)
x4

Post by X2-Illuminatus » Sun, 19. Feb 17, 19:28

If your wingman is running the "Follow me" command it should dock automatically, if you dock to a station. You can issue that command either from the "Broadcast" command section from your own ship's command console or from the "Navigation" command section from your wingman's command console.
Nun verfügbar! X3: Farnham's Legacy - Ein neues Kapitel für einen alten Favoriten

Die komplette X-Roman-Reihe jetzt als Kindle E-Books! (Farnhams Legende, Nopileos, X3: Yoshiko, X3: Hüter der Tore, X3: Wächter der Erde)

Neuauflage der fünf X-Romane als Taschenbuch

The official X-novels Farnham's Legend, Nopileos, X3: Yoshiko as Kindle e-books!

radcapricorn
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by radcapricorn » Sun, 19. Feb 17, 19:53

To expand a little bit, there are several ways to give ships commands.

1. Having a ship targeted, open up the communications menu (default key C)
2. Through any list where you can select that ship (sector map, property menu (R), station's Owned Ships (for your stations) or Landed Ships menus (for any stations), carrier's Landed Ships menus): highlight the ship, open communications menu.
3. If a ship is in a wing, any command given to that ship is automatically given to all ships in that wing.
4. If a ship is actually set as your wingman (i.e. not just a ship with a "Follow me" command, but an actual Wingman setting in the ship's command console), there are hotkeys to give it commands (look them up in control settings)
5. If a ship is running a command and has the "Notify me when command is completed" option set, the command console can be opened from the message it sends when the current command completes.
6. As mentioned, via the "Broadcast" menu.
7. If a ship is displayed on a monitor, you can click the ship icon on that monitor, and open comms menu from there.

Specifically for docking in the same sector as you are, probably the fastest way is to target the station, select the ship in your property menu (R), and command it to "Dock at my target".

Some commands may be unavailable if you yourself are docked (because you can't target anything while docked).

risingfish

Post by risingfish » Mon, 20. Feb 17, 03:58

Awesome, thank you for all the information!
~R

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”