a question about selling ships.

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

risingfish

a question about selling ships.

Post by risingfish » Mon, 20. Feb 17, 04:13

I'm trying to sell my starting Mercury and I don't see the option. The ship is docked at the same station, the space station is a shipyard station, and I've transferred all the cargo out, but there's not option to sell it in the trade window. Is there a trick to it, or maybe I don't have the right faction? It's a brand new game.

Thanks!
~R

RAVEN.myst
x3tc

Post by RAVEN.myst » Mon, 20. Feb 17, 04:31

Are you in that ship? You cannot sell whatever ship you're in, so you have to first buy or otherwise acquire another ship and transfer yourself to it. (Alternatively, if you have no money to buy a ship but want to sell it so you can buy something else that happens to be cheaper, you can fly near to a shipyard, eject, and order both your now-empty ship and yourself in your EVA suit to dock at the station.)

Regarding factions: so long as you have docking rights with a faction, they will always buy whatever you have to sell them (as long as the location is appropriate - eg. you're trying to sell a ship at a SY, a weapon at an equipment dock, a resource that the station you are docked at uses) regardless of your reputation/standing. However, they will restrict their *sales* according to the tech level of the item vs your reputation (the exceptions to this rule are Pirates, the Yaki [sort-of piratic faction], and the Teladi, though the last WILL restrict sales of shipyard items according to reputation.)
-
Boron passenger: "You must hurry - my testicles are drying out!"
-
Born on Lave, raised on Freeport 7...
-
The Write Stuff

Timsup2nothin

Post by Timsup2nothin » Mon, 20. Feb 17, 04:41

RAVEN.myst wrote:Are you in that ship? You cannot sell whatever ship you're in, so you have to first buy or otherwise acquire another ship and transfer yourself to it. (Alternatively, if you have no money to buy a ship but want to sell it so you can buy something else that happens to be cheaper, you can fly near to a shipyard, eject, and order both your now-empty ship and yourself in your EVA suit to dock at the station.)
Note: Before doing this make sure you have sufficient reputation to buy something. I thought I would trade in my starting Buster for a Discoverer one time and wound up stuck hanging from the docking port in my space suit.
Trapper Tim's Guide to CLS 2

On Her Majesty's Secret Service-Dead is Dead, and he is DEAD

Not a DiD, so I guess it's a DiDn't, the story of my first try at AP
Part One, in progress

HEY! AP!! That's new!!!

risingfish

Post by risingfish » Mon, 20. Feb 17, 04:57

Thanks for the response! I started a as humble merchant so I started with a Discoverer and a Mercury. I've switched to the Discoverer and unloaded the Mercury. Are there multiple places to dock on a single SS? E.g. a docking port for equipment and one for the ShipYard?
~R

RAVEN.myst
x3tc

Post by RAVEN.myst » Mon, 20. Feb 17, 05:23

Timsup2nothin wrote:
RAVEN.myst wrote:Are you in that ship? You cannot sell whatever ship you're in, so you have to first buy or otherwise acquire another ship and transfer yourself to it. (Alternatively, if you have no money to buy a ship but want to sell it so you can buy something else that happens to be cheaper, you can fly near to a shipyard, eject, and order both your now-empty ship and yourself in your EVA suit to dock at the station.)
Note: Before doing this make sure you have sufficient reputation to buy something. I thought I would trade in my starting Buster for a Discoverer one time and wound up stuck hanging from the docking port in my space suit.
Hahahah! Yes, good point, I've almost had the same situation trading in my starting Katana in Terran starts do downgrade to Valyrie plus either Baldrics or Toukon (TM), and also more recently playing Bankrupt Assassin when wanting to get rid of that smelly Mamba to get some Mistrals.

risingfish wrote:Thanks for the response! I started a as humble merchant so I started with a Discoverer and a Mercury. I've switched to the Discoverer and unloaded the Mercury. Are there multiple places to dock on a single SS? E.g. a docking port for equipment and one for the ShipYard?
I'm not quite sure I understand your question, so if this doesn't answer it, my apple-orgies in advance... Shipyards and equipment docks are separate stations, for one thing (though in AP they tend to be linked, so that you can upgrade a ship docked at the shipyard even if you haven't just bought it - the ship, I mean, not the farm...) Stations do indeed have multiple docking facilities, and there are three types: capital ship docks, docking clamps for mid-size ships (freighters and corvettes), and fighter hangars. Not all stations have all those types, the most common is the docking clamp, which can also cater to fighters when hangars are absent; the least common are capital ship berths. As a rule, docking facilities are usually not infinite, so once filled up (either physically, or by ships that have already filed docking plans), you have to either wait or, if you have something docked there already, you can make room by undocking that ship (and hoping that you get in line before some NPC jumps the queue!) Capital ship docks are generally rather unobviously obvious, so to speak - you can identify them once you know what to look for on that particular station type; however, typically, stations that can accommodate capital ships tend to have 2 such docks (there are a few very specific exceptions.) Docking clamps are arranged in clusters of 5, and often these clusters are paired or arranged in rectangles (therefore, four.) Hangar bays are internal, and thus can't be counted visually.

I hope at least SOME of the above has SOMETHING to do with what you are asking :D
-
Boron passenger: "You must hurry - my testicles are drying out!"
-
Born on Lave, raised on Freeport 7...
-
The Write Stuff

risingfish

Post by risingfish » Mon, 20. Feb 17, 05:44

I think you answered my question. I docked both ships on the equipment dock on the station. So need to find the shipyard dock to sell the Mercury?
~R

Timsup2nothin

Post by Timsup2nothin » Mon, 20. Feb 17, 06:11

Right. The "equipment dock" actually is a type of station, not just a specific dock on the station. The shipyard is a different station entirely. It's bigger, but more spindly...assuming you are in Argon Prime. Some of them look different.

Even if you aren't in scanner range you should be able to see it if you look around when you undock from the EqD. Go close enough for it to show on your scanner and then you will be able to order the Mercury to dock at it. If you have the cash to pick up a trading system extension you'll be able to sell the Merc at the shipyard without even docking yourself.
Trapper Tim's Guide to CLS 2

On Her Majesty's Secret Service-Dead is Dead, and he is DEAD

Not a DiD, so I guess it's a DiDn't, the story of my first try at AP
Part One, in progress

HEY! AP!! That's new!!!

Nanook
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Nanook » Mon, 20. Feb 17, 20:40

risingfish wrote:I think you answered my question. I docked both ships on the equipment dock on the station. So need to find the shipyard dock to sell the Mercury?
Note that there are not separate docks at any given station for selling different items. If the ship is docked at the shipyard, no matter which dock type, you can sell that ship.

As was mentioned briefly above, shipyards with an equipment dock in the same sector are 'linked'. That means you can buy and sell equipment to and from the equipment dock while docked at the linked shipyard. Note that it doesn't work the other way around. You cannot sell a ship to the shipyard while that ship is docked at the equipment dock (or any other station). Any ship you wish to sell must be docked at the shipyard itself. Hope that clears things up a bit.
Have a great idea for the current or a future game? You can post it in the [L3+] Ideas forum.

X4 is a journey, not a destination. Have fun on your travels.

Honved
x3tc

Post by Honved » Tue, 21. Feb 17, 18:04

My assumption is that you're in Argon Prime, and the Equipment Dock is on the same plane as most of the other stations in the sector. The Shipyard is a relatively short distance below the normal plane of the sector, but if you haven't upgraded your scanner, you may physically see it long before you can pick it up on the scanner.

Two VERY important upgrades: Engine Tunings and Scanners. Also, in the Humble Merchant start, unless you scrounge up sufficient capital to buy a few I-(something) Ray Emitters in the first few hours, the closest factory is a long ways off, so they're likely to vanish quickly and then be out of stock for months. You'll need those for the Disco, if you decide to fight at some point. Either those to do Fight missions, or a Mineral Scanner to do Asteroid scans, would be a good early investment.

KaesarSosei
x3tc

Post by KaesarSosei » Mon, 27. Mar 17, 10:56

Bit of a hijack here but I'd prefer not to waste a new thread if possible.

I'm playing AP/LU and recently bought a Mammoth from a 3rd party at a Terran shipyard. However this ship shows up in the Property menu as "Other Ships" and I have no option to trade with it or load any cargo into it, or even sell it. Is this a known bug?

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Mon, 27. Mar 17, 17:06

@ KaesarSosei: That is something to ask about in the LU thread in the S&M forum as it sounds like the sort of issue you get when mods are not installed correctly (the Mammoth is often the default type seen in-game for a broken other ship model). You may need to review and/or redo your mods selections and installations.
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”