Will we have better ship interiors in X4?

General discussions about X Rebirth.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Nikola515
x4

Post by Nikola515 » Sat, 4. Mar 17, 11:17

Nanook wrote:
And for goodness sake, put the merchants/traders in little shops rather than having them hang out in bars and bunkrooms. That makes no sense. :roll:
I always wandered why NPC'S have space suits inside of stations :? I think it would be also fun to have space walks outside of ships/stations.
It's not world hunger because we can't feed poor,it's because there will never be enough to feed the rich .....

x3tc

Post by 26072013 » Sat, 4. Mar 17, 16:02

I would like Egosoft to invest all the time they have into SPACE, not into first-person walking.

For me X is about building your own empire in space, and that's where Egosoft could really shine. So I hope they spend their limited time for space phenomena, anomalies, huge alien stations, perhaps brand new alien races with new ships and technologies.

And cockpits. And a good user interface.

(Please be good.)

hisazul
xr

Post by hisazul » Sat, 4. Mar 17, 17:23

The only "new" alien race that is at least sort of maybe can show up are Sohnen. Since someone has to fix existing jump gates and they are the ones who can... so did terrans back in AP but considering AP why would they want to... in their shoes I'd want CW to go extinct.
“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.” - Albert Einstein

spankahontis
x4

Post by spankahontis » Sat, 4. Mar 17, 20:32

hisazul wrote:- WAAAAAAAH PL0X REINVENT THE WHEEL.

- Egosoft reinvents the wheel.

- WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!!111!!11eleventeen IT'S NOT X ANYM0R3!!! U TR1CKED ME!!! WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHH!!!11 LIERZ!!

- Rinse and repeat ad-infinity.

They released exactly what they said they would. They ****** up testing and fixed it as they did with every single ****** X title to day. They were all broken on release. You people are the reason why we can't have good things. Quit asking for nonsense that is wasting the precious development time on garbage you will be whining about anyway because that's not how you see A, that's not how you believe B should be, it's not so sparkly enough to blind an average person and requires 8 top end GPUs to run at 15 fps. This isn't an rpg, I don't need private quarters with your sidekicks wearing scanty bikinis and drinking martinis with your bros. You want eyecandy there is that Star Citizen... maybe it will be released in 3018.

True, it could be Star Citizen and People will kick off that there was no fluffy dice hanging from the cockpit, boycott everything.

Nikola515 wrote:
Nanook wrote:
And for goodness sake, put the merchants/traders in little shops rather than having them hang out in bars and bunkrooms. That makes no sense. :roll:
I always wandered why NPC'S have space suits inside of stations :? I think it would be also fun to have space walks outside of ships/stations.

The stations are very bland after a while, plus the lack of diversity and dress amongst the Argon, Terracorp, Reivers, etc.. I mean even the pirates in X-3 had pirate clothes and head sets and looked like pirates.
All factions need to look the part and they don't, there hasn't been anything modable in terms of new clothes, new NPC faces etc..

SpaceProbe

Post by SpaceProbe » Wed, 8. Mar 17, 00:35

Nanook wrote:
hisazul wrote:....
What people want is a city with rpg elements, buildable freaking houses, lots of things that have nothing to do with space sims....
What people?? I saw one mention of one of these. You're beginning to sound like The Donald. Alternate facts, anyone? :P
better than sounding like CNN fake news. No facts, just bias and spirit cooking, anyone? :P

No one expects Mass Effect level of RPG with a small budget but if there would be planet surfaces some simple RPG elements, well executed, would be welcome.

YOYOMAN_MODDER
x4

Post by YOYOMAN_MODDER » Fri, 10. Mar 17, 16:04

If Egosoft change laggy engine which i can name (imho of course) 'shit', sorry for this word but its reality, to one of Game high level industry, all games after X Rebirth, wiil be fpsfriendly and not 'shit'. I dont want diskuss about station graphics (its hello 2000s). So if game will be playable - cool. Not playable- shit.

The Q
Pancake Award Winner 2017

Post by The Q » Fri, 10. Mar 17, 17:39

Changing the game engine at this point hardly makes any sense. The development of a custom engine costs a lot of money, which can only be justified when you use it for more than one game. Additionally, the game is stable now and optimisations take more and more effect. So throwing everything away now – not only the engine, but everything that is built on this engine – makes no sense at this point. Also, let’s not forget that Egosoft has experience with working with a custom built engine for a long time. As for your statement that after choosing a „high level industry engine“ everything will be fine (fps-wise): First of all, there isn’t a space simulation game engine readily available. If it would be different, then you could be sure that there wouldn’t be so many developers who built their own engines or are in the process of doing so right now. Secondly, you cannot expect an engine to work perfectly no matter what you do and no matter on what system you run it on. Implementation is the key word here, whereby certain tasks will always cost performance, no matter how you perform them.

If, however, you were referring to the graphics engine, then you probably didn’t read the last announcement (posted around Christmas), in which Bernd mentions that they would be working on a new Vulkan based graphics engine, which will be first introduced in XR VR.
SpaceProbe wrote:No one expects Mass Effect level of RPG with a small budget but if there would be planet surfaces some simple RPG elements, well executed, would be welcome.
But wouldn't it make more sense to fill station interiors, i.e. what has been created already, with simple but meaningful gameplay elements, before jumping to planets?
Morkonan, Emperor of the Unaffiliated Territories of the Principality of OFF-TOPIC, wrote:I have come to answer your questions! The answers are "Yes" and "Probably" as well as "No" and "Maybe", but I'm not sure in which order they should be given.
xkcd: Duty calls

YOYOMAN_MODDER
x4

Post by YOYOMAN_MODDER » Fri, 10. Mar 17, 20:22

The Q wrote:
If, however, you were referring to the graphics engine, then you probably didn’t read the last announcement (posted around Christmas), in which Bernd mentions that they would be working on a new Vulkan based graphics engine, which will be first introduced in XR VR.
i like Unreal Engine 4. its flexible, powerfull crossplatform engine. an it free! I like UE4 becourse i works on my own project on UE4) XRIM is separate task. And if Egosoft change engine to UE4 we can play realy AAA Space game with newest techniques (mesh instansing - 1 static mesh - 100 000 instances = 1 draw call, DX10/11/12/Vulkan, physics and more, powerfull animation system, full modddable suport on custom modEditor based on original UE4 Editor and more)))

Nanook
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Nanook » Fri, 10. Mar 17, 21:54

UE4 is an FPS style engine. It simply wouldn't work for an empire in space type game, such as all the X games. This has been discussed over and over ad infinitum in many past threads and the answer is always the same. It simply wouldn't work. Sorry.
Have a great idea for the current or a future game? You can post it in the [L3+] Ideas forum.

X4 is a journey, not a destination. Have fun on your travels.

YOYOMAN_MODDER
x4

Post by YOYOMAN_MODDER » Sat, 11. Mar 17, 16:09

Nanook wrote:UE4 is an FPS style engine. It simply wouldn't work for an empire in space type game, such as all the X games. This has been discussed over and over ad infinitum in many past threads and the answer is always the same. It simply wouldn't work. Sorry.
Sorry, what? fps lock engine? :lol: I am sorry but i recomended to you watch on youtube on UE chanell reel videos. features 2017

Everyjing possible on UE4. and unlimited level streaming too, which is true seamless travel. Evrerthing possible on C++ or personal UE4 modification for special purposses. engine sources are free for modify I learning UE4 2 years, i developed streaming level system with level change mask effect called 'hyperspace' to XRIM 0.9. I dont see any post for UE4 and X games. its possible Epics engine can be true multytreaded and not cpu bound. 70% can be swap to gpu calcutations.))) if you want to discuss about this engine, welcome to PM) :) [/url]

hisazul
xr

Post by hisazul » Sun, 12. Mar 17, 12:38

It performs better then 9 out of 10 super big titles. Has no huge memory leaks that make it crash after an hour of progress every 5 minutes. Wake up and smell the roses... if you want to criticize something at least don't pull bull out of your ass and sell it as gold.

Also someone lacks fundamental knowledge on what a game engine is and how it works. You can't run Minecraft on Cryengine... that would be beyond simply moronic. There are also a lot more then just core engine, there are video api, sound, physics, etc... Just because it's made ontop of Unreal engine doesn't mean its gold. Batman Arkham City proved that pretty damn well... that game was unoptimized trash of the year that even the most trashy review aggregates spat on. There are plenty more examples. And with what magical from the ass technology is Unreal engine going to handle background tasks that every single X title to date had? like OOS/OOZ, trading, managing etc... all of that would require strapping additional custom calculation engine just for that alone, and Unreal actually doesn't quite play nice with just any programing language there is. Please educate yourself before trying to sound like a pro... which you are clearly not, not even by self-proclaimed standards.

Since I do feel like being a douche atm, I'm also going to point out to all the actual genuine diarrhea bucket ubisoft titles that came out of their Kiev studio now that is shit design and broken games... this... this is just you flipping out about something and not even being honest about it.
“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.” - Albert Einstein

YOYOMAN_MODDER
x4

Post by YOYOMAN_MODDER » Sun, 12. Mar 17, 16:47

hisazul wrote:It performs better then 9 out of 10 super big titles. Has no huge memory leaks that make it crash after an hour of progress every 5 minutes. Wake up and smell the roses... if you want to criticize something at least don't pull bull out of your ass and sell it as gold.
Too many words to read. You talk about one laggy game (maybe its on oldes version?) but you never seen, what poople do with UE4. You can do any game on UE4, if you want this. You can mod UE4 source for you and develop any game or what you want.
Man, i'm sorry but you think wrong about UE4 possibility)

koyuka
x3

Post by koyuka » Tue, 21. Mar 17, 23:40

Its a shame they don't open it up to the community to develop interiors and space stations to prevent them from being generic. I realize this is not Skyrim but if you look at how much user created content there is this would be so useful for Egosoft considering they are only a small team themselves. Couple of prizes for best creations, couple of top 10 creations get free copy of X4 etc. Would cost them very little and would help them a lot in terms of seeming to be engaging with their community and lets be frank, might perhaps help the community to feel more appreciated and valued after what was lets face it a horrific game on launch.

linolafett
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by linolafett » Wed, 22. Mar 17, 13:24

koyuka wrote:Its a shame they don't open it up to the community to develop interiors and space stations to prevent them from being generic. [...] Couple of prizes for best creations, couple of top 10 creations get free copy of X4 etc.
I dont think that this is a good approach at all. Creating game ready assets requires understanding of the workflow/engine/technical limitations/tools and gameplay implications. It is super easy to miss something when creating an asset even for us in house artists.
Getting an "free" asset from someone external will never include the full spectrum of features we can use inhouse (some tools/shaders can not be easily given out, because they are locked to a very limited set of software) and still needa lot of work to be then properly set up to be used in the game.
01001100 01101001 01101110 01100101 01110011 00100000 01101111 01100110 00100000 01110100 01101001 01101101 01100101 01110011 00101110 00101110 00101110

My art stuff

Mightysword
x3tc

Post by Mightysword » Wed, 22. Mar 17, 14:07

I don't think it has to be creating brand-new assets, it could be using existing assets to create new object. The most obvious example is how the famous Capital Ship Bridge is created, I think even one of the dev here admitted that was a very creative use of existing asset to create something news.

Or you can take a look at these ships:

http://bbs.deeptimes.org/data/attachmen ... 93qrgx.jpg

I think I walked around the game enough to think there are enough piece to put in some really good interior, but right now they seem to be very bland and repetitive. Honestly they don't feel like handcrafted but rather all low quality procedural generated with elements that doesn't seem to go well together. For example there is always an area on some station that even now I don't what they're meant to be. To me it looks like a prison area no matter how I look at it, but then you can go down and barter with people in there.

I'm not sure if you play the Sim series but it's kinda the same, even without using newly created content, users can create house that are a lot more detail and better than the stock houses that come with the game.

Ezarkal
x4

Post by Ezarkal » Wed, 22. Mar 17, 14:36

Mightysword wrote:Or you can take a look at these ships:

http://bbs.deeptimes.org/data/attachmen ... 93qrgx.jpg

Woah... these look seriously sweet. What mod are they from?
Humans are deuterostomes, which means that when they develop in the womb the first opening they develop is the anus.
This means that at one point you were nothing but an asshole.

Some people never develop beyond this stage.

spankahontis
x4

Post by spankahontis » Thu, 23. Mar 17, 18:55

Graaf wrote:I hope not. It would mean they will again waste time and resources on Walking in Stations.

The only proper interior you need to see it the cockpit or bridge of your ships, nothing else.

Goes completely against the exploration aspect of X Games in general.. Space Sims are heading towards station interiors, Star Citizen, Mass Effect and Elite:Dangerous for example.
To ignore that is just ignoring a whole new audience of X Fans that Rebirth needs in order to expand the franchise and improve on the previous titles.

Not everyone wants to sit in the back of a Freighter and shoot at oncoming pirates.

Walking around in Station interiors are the future i'm afraid, Egosoft simply made a mess of their first try.. A year this month has passed since Home of Light came out so a year of working on a much better version of Rebirth's Engine will see allot of interesting developments, not to mention they will be announcing what X4 will look like now they can put away the bad release of Rebirth.
Nikola515 wrote:
Nanook wrote:
Would be better if the space suit NPC's were placed in the appropriate parts of the station, like in space docks as if they've just landed on the station.

I agree that it always frustrated me that there was a showroom on shipyards with ship models on display when you enter the station, but the ship dealer was sitting on a bed when he could of been sitting in that showroom, selling ships.

monster.zero
x4

Post by monster.zero » Sat, 25. Mar 17, 13:06

What I hated the most, was no windows! really killed the immersion of being at that spaceport

I wanted to look out a window and see the Skunk, stars, space traffic...it would make me feel like I was there....Not just some added on loaded level separate from the main game.
DEC BC ; Decrease the counter
LD A, B ; Load one byte of the counter into the accumulator
OR C ; Bitwise OR with the other byte
JR NZ, Loop

Silla
xr

Post by Silla » Mon, 3. Apr 17, 20:02

What this game needs is functionality like a well modable UI that works well with the game and is fast.
Secondly it needs fresh ideas that go beyond what we had in the X-series had and are actually finished. It needs more core game besides sending containers from A to B and back and some stationbuilding and I'm not talking about minigames... I recon this over any shiny ship interface.

Nanook
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Nanook » Mon, 3. Apr 17, 20:12

Silla, this thread is about the interiors of stations and ships. There are other threads devoted to "things this game needs". Please use those and keep this one on topic. Thanks.
Have a great idea for the current or a future game? You can post it in the [L3+] Ideas forum.

X4 is a journey, not a destination. Have fun on your travels.

Return to “X Rebirth Universe”