Will we have better ship interiors in X4?

General discussions about X Rebirth.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

spankahontis
x4

Post by spankahontis » Fri, 7. Apr 17, 22:39

Or extend Item Trading for smaller M Class Freighters, with Zaps Trade Managers idea you can tell them what to buy and sell and they go from Station to Station (Depending on Range) to deal with traders, the better their rating, the better the deals and profits made.

M Ships consisting of a Pilot and a Trade Manager.

plynak
x3tc

Post by plynak » Tue, 11. Apr 17, 09:55

Every game that came with interiors ended with it being a waste of resources. STO ship interiors are usless as well as EVE online interiors or Rebirth interiors. This is not an RPG. Moreover even today you do not have to go to every person if you need something from him/her. We have phones.
What would be acceptable and would not cost resources better spent elsewhere would be something like Freelancer or beforementioned Privateer where planets and stations were pre-rendered screens where you could meet and talk to NPCs.
Intel Core i5 4590, 2 x 8GB DDR3 1600, MSI GTX 1060 Armor, Asus H97 Pro, Asus Xonar DG, Crucial MX100 128GB SSD + 1TB WD Caviar Blue, Seasonic S12G 550W, Corsair 550D, 22'' LG

Alandauron
x4

Post by Alandauron » Tue, 11. Apr 17, 20:36

plynak wrote:Every game that came with interiors ended with it being a waste of resources. STO ship interiors are usless as well as EVE online interiors or Rebirth interiors. This is not an RPG. Moreover even today you do not have to go to every person if you need something from him/her. We have phones.
What would be acceptable and would not cost resources better spent elsewhere would be something like Freelancer or beforementioned Privateer where planets and stations were pre-rendered screens where you could meet and talk to NPCs.
While I disagree wholeheartedly that "Every game with interiors...waste of resources" I must say that I agree that in the standard X games this is something that is less necessary than other things. I would rather see attention and care given to fixing AI pathing over making new ship interiors for X4.

That being said I would love to see a return to something akin to X: Rebirth in a followup game where the focus is still mainly empire building but with some RPG elements and fancy ship interiors maybe even interiors for stations.

mr.WHO
x4

Post by mr.WHO » Tue, 11. Apr 17, 21:07

The problem with XR interiors was not the idea, nor the concept nor even the actual quality of the interiors...the problem was bad execution and terrible game mechanics.

I mean even with all the parts that XR it is possible to have some meaningful interiors, but you have to remember that in 1.0 you was FORCED to go to station walks for almost everything. It end up terribly repetetive and when you had to see the same ugly face and hear the same crappy NPC voice line to the same crappy mini-game you just snap altogether.

Yet we have lots of station interiors parts that could be easilly kitbashed and expanded to have to proper station and ship interiors. NPC models and voice acting can be fixed (mods with Galactic dress code and "Shut up Ren" are the examples).

The only weak point is to find some real, not forced, meaningful reason to actually do something in these interiors.
To me only ideas so far is carrier management for capship, or Player HQ.

The last, but not least the little kid in me would love to walk inside the hangar of the carrier and see all it's fighters on their holding racks or even walk on the docking hangar of my Player HQ to see all of these fighters, transport and the docked capship outside the window.

Yes I do know it's just a vain eyecandy, but that's why I play X-Games to have a massive empire, so I can actually experince these MASSIVE SPACE BONER moments.

UniTrader
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by UniTrader » Tue, 11. Apr 17, 21:10

Alandauron wrote:While I disagree wholeheartedly that "Every game with interiors...waste of resources" I must say that I agree that in the standard X games this is something that is less necessary than other things. I would rather see attention and care given to fixing AI pathing over making new ship interiors for X4.
[sarcasm]Great, with this its decided - Lino shall now work on the Pathing instead of Modelling Interiors or working on new Ships/Stations. Expect to see first results in a few Years when he learned enough about Programming to get a Ship moving straight forward. will look a bit blocky though because the Modeller had other stuff to do.[/sarcasm]

seriously: please stop prioritizing between diffrent Jobs. Egosot is not a 1-Person-Company, so its never a question of better Pathing versus Better Interiors because both are done by entirely diffrent People.
For things like better/more Interiors, Capships, Small Ships and Stations you can favour one of them (and semi-related the amount of Flyable Ships also falls into this, because they need a fitting Interior/Cockpit if you dont want to settle fore "one size fits all").
On the other hand Pathing could be prioritized over implementing/changing other Game mechanics like how Drones work, or maybe implementing actually working Monitors, maybe implementing Multi-Monitor-Support and things like this.

and just in case: all aforementoined examples are just that - examples. nothing more.
if not stated otherwise everything i post is licensed under WTFPL

Ich mache keine S&M-Auftragsarbeiten, aber wenn es fragen gibt wie man etwas umsetzen kann helfe ich gerne weiter ;)

I wont do Script&Mod Request work, but if there are questions how to do something i will GLaDly help ;)

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Tue, 11. Apr 17, 21:28

Sorry UniTrader, but Alandauron is right. Your example may be deliberately reductio ad absurdum, but the reality is that very few features involve only code or only graphics. In the post right above yours mr.WHO made the valid point that interiors are not just about graphics.

The idea that developers don't have to prioritise between different jobs just because there is more than one person and their skills are different is just plain wrong. Pretty much every task has knock-on effects for a range of different team members, and the team as a whole is small, meaning that all possible developments have to be balanced and prioritised against one another.

Return to “X Rebirth Universe”