General discussions about X Rebirth.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

radcapricorn
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Serra's End

Post by radcapricorn » Thu, 23. Feb 17, 19:41

There's a zone in Home of Light / Terracorp Headquarters called Serra's End. There are no encyclopedia entries for zones, so we're left to wonder about certain names. But this one bugs me, so if anyone has any suggestion or insight, I'd appreciate it.

We saw a few sectors in previous games named after various characters (Danna's Chance for Ban Danna, Brennan's Triumph for Kyle, Elena's Fortune for Elena Kho, etc.)

Bret Serra was Julian's friend in X-2, and gave his life in a spectacular (though silly) attempt to help save Kyle and stop Kha'ak fleet from destroying the planet in Omicron Lyrae. But before that, he was just a criminal who lucked out with connections, so it's unlikely a whole area of space would be named after him based on his previous accomplishments. So, is the zone Serra's End named after him, and if so, why, and why is it not in Omicron Lyrae?

Ezarkal
x4

Post by Ezarkal » Thu, 23. Feb 17, 22:31

Check the sector description. It might hold some hints. I know in Cold Star certain historical events are listed in the sector's description, and explain some of the zone names. You might find some hints about this perticular name.
Humans are deuterostomes, which means that when they develop in the womb the first opening they develop is the anus.
This means that at one point you were nothing but an asshole.

Some people never develop beyond this stage.

radcapricorn
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by radcapricorn » Thu, 23. Feb 17, 22:43

That was the first thing I checked. But what do you think? It's Terracorp Headquarters. The whole sector description is basically a corporate pamphlet :D

X2-Illuminatus
Moderator (Deutsch)
Moderator (Deutsch)
x4

Post by X2-Illuminatus » Thu, 2. Mar 17, 15:24

There's a Darwin street in Berlin, the capital of Germany, although Charles Darwin never visited Berlin. ;) The naming of a street, place or a region in space for that matter is not limited to those historical events that happend there and not to those people who lived there. Often enough those who remember an incident or a person are likely to mention it. That happens rather independently of their location.
In the case of Bret Serra, when he died he was with Saya Kho and Julian Brennan / Gardna. The parents of both, Elena Kho and Kyle Brennan, founded the TerraCorp. It's likely that the knowledge about Bret Serra was preserved somewhere in the archives of the TerraCorp. When they searched for possible zone names, they certainly had a look into their archives.
Nun verfügbar! X3: Farnham's Legacy - Ein neues Kapitel für einen alten Favoriten

Die komplette X-Roman-Reihe jetzt als Kindle E-Books! (Farnhams Legende, Nopileos, X3: Yoshiko, X3: Hüter der Tore, X3: Wächter der Erde)

Neuauflage der fünf X-Romane als Taschenbuch

The official X-novels Farnham's Legend, Nopileos, X3: Yoshiko as Kindle e-books!

radcapricorn
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by radcapricorn » Fri, 3. Mar 17, 21:01

I guess what strikes me as strange is - why not Julian or Saya themselves?
All that Julian got for his accomplishments was some dude naming a ship "sort of" after him, and Saya not even that. Julian's father, Saya's mother, Ban, all got sectors named after them in their lifetime, and not by TerraCorp, but by the Argon government. Ok, Saya was apparently involved in the destruction of the Torus, so maybe not the greatest pick.
I mean, most of TerraCorp space is just bland District N, and few named zones are for heroes of the distant past (Akeela), or of the last 40 years. Bret just doesn't fit in that company. Seems a little weird that some TerraCorp official would pick him over someone more prominent. Unless, of course, it's just a different Serra who we know nothing about, but that doesn't seem likely, considering that that's an "unusual" Argon name.

The Q
Pancake Award Winner 2017

Post by The Q » Sun, 5. Mar 17, 20:31

Well, Saya destroyed the Torus Aeternal. Depending on the timeline (books vs. games) we are looking at, this information may not have reached the TerraCorp. But still naming a zone after a terrorist, even if that person attacked a different race, does not seem like a smart decision.
Of course, Julian is a different matter. I don't remember it exactly, but I think it was never really clear what happened to him. There is this message during the Hub Plot in X3TC suggesting that he went missing, when searching for Bala Gi, but apart from that I don't think his whereabouts has been revealed. I could imagine that he's still labelled as missing rather than dead. Which may prevent the naming process for a zone to be started. Or a bit more intriguing Julian survived and is secretly leading the TerraCorp now. Of course, he cannot name a sector after himself, otherwise he may get a lot of unintended attention.
Morkonan, Emperor of the Unaffiliated Territories of the Principality of OFF-TOPIC, wrote:I have come to answer your questions! The answers are "Yes" and "Probably" as well as "No" and "Maybe", but I'm not sure in which order they should be given.
xkcd: Duty calls

Snafu_X3
x3tc

Post by Snafu_X3 » Mon, 6. Mar 17, 23:05

The Q wrote:Of course, Julian is a different matter [...] There is this message during the Hub Plot in X3TC suggesting that he went missing, when searching for Bala Gi, but apart from that I don't think his whereabouts has been revealed.
That TC mission leads to the PHQ quest where <player> has to tow JB & BG's stranded Angel back to Aldrin.. after that there's no more mention of them IIRC
Wiki X:R 1st Tit capping
Wiki X3:TC vanilla: Guide to generic missions, Guide to finding & capping Aran
Never played AP; all X3 advice is based on vanilla+bonus pack TC or before: AP has not changed much WRT general advice.

I know how to spell teladiuminumiumium, I just don't know when to stop!

Dom (Wiki Moderator) 8-) DxDiag

Return to “X Rebirth Universe”