Ranty McRant's thread of rantworthy things

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Usenko
x3

Post by Usenko » Sun, 11. Jun 17, 16:43

I had a win with scammers. My eldest daughter picked up the phone for what turned out to be a scammer.

I heard her say, in an affronted voice, "My parents?! I'll have you know I AM the parent in this house! Now, what exactly are you calling about?!"

At this point, daughter number 2, who can really think quite quickly, started saying loudly in her most babyish voice "Mum! I'm hungry!"

Daughter #1 was getting into her element, and said in a harried voice "That's my daughter, and it's dinner time. Now, what are you calling about?"

The dude hung up on them.

It was better than ANY TV show. :)
Morkonan wrote:What really happened isn't as exciting. Putin flexed his left thigh during his morning ride on a flying bear, right after beating fifty Judo blackbelts, which he does upon rising every morning. (Not that Putin sleeps, it's just that he doesn't want to make others feel inadequate.)

felter
xr

Post by felter » Sun, 11. Jun 17, 20:14

I love some of those scam callers.
Had the Microsoft one the other week there. He wanted me to click on the start button, he said click on the icon in the bottom left of the window.
I said you mean the start button.
Yeah that's it.
I said, mines isn't there, it's in the top left corner of my screen, which it is as I moved the taskbar to the left of the screen.
He was adamant that it wasn't, he goes, it can't be it's always in the bottom left.
I mean come-on he is supposed to be scamming me about computers and he doesn't even know you can move the taskbar. I threw in that my desktop didn't even look like a normal desktop, as I used a program called rainmeter which allowed me to totally change the desktop.
At this point he started calling me a liar, saying things like why would you lie to me, would you lie to your family.
and I'm like, of course I would. He was getting so worked up and agitated and all I could do was laugh at him, it was so funny, like most of them he ended up hanging up on me.

I even had another one call me a liar when I told her I had a degree in computer security and forensics, and that I knew she didn't work for Microsoft and that she was just trying to scam me. Any sensible person trying on a scam would hang up at this point, but she stayed on the phone to argue with me telling me I was lying to her. I just keep them going as I know if they are talking to me they are not scamming someone who doesn't know better.

Had another one a few weeks back, can't remember what he was trying to sell me as I didn't let him get a chance to do so. I even managed to keep him on the phone for about 15 minutes, and every time he tried to do his pre prepared speech, I would start talking about the weather, his name, kids or anything that came to mind. My old dear was pissing herself laughing by the time he hung up on me. I just love messing with them, but I would prefer it if they didn't phone me in the first place.
Florida Man Makes Announcement.
We live in a crazy world where winter heating has become a luxury item.

exogenesis
x4

Post by exogenesis » Sun, 11. Jun 17, 20:35

Something possibly useful (anti-rant?)

For the past few years I estimate I used to get 2 or 3 cold or scam calls a day,
until a year ago when I got one of those BT 'call guardian' phones,
which amongst other things forces the caller to give a name & wait for possible pickup, or wait a bit to record.

Then there were absolutely no cold calls getting though.

About a month ago I needed to turn the 'guardian' off (for work internat. web conference calls),
and it's been off since - and have had just one cold call recorded message.

I reckon if you become 'off line' to them for a while, your number gets listed or something, & they stop trying,
I hope it lasts...

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Sun, 11. Jun 17, 20:55

Since we're on the subject, it's probably a good moment for me to remind UK-based people about the TPS. It doesn't help with scam calls, but it is pretty effective against cold-calling since companies can be fined quite significant amounts of money for calling people who have registered.

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Sun, 11. Jun 17, 21:32

I have found that some cold-callers think they reduce their risk of a fine through contacting TPS registrations if they call their cold-call a 'survey'. "Just a few minutes of your time on questions about how good .. "

.. the water quality in your area is (water softeners or filter systems)

.. the insulation in your house should be (loft lagging, cavity insulation, triple glazing, cladding, etc)

.. the council is at keeping the pavements clear in your area (garden, tree and hedge services)

.. the phone and broadband coverage in your area is (telephone, satellite or cable services)

..you think the foreign aid or domestic health budget management to be (charity subscription or legacy promoters)

etc.
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

felter
xr

Post by felter » Sun, 11. Jun 17, 21:41

Don't get me started on the TPS, I am registered and it is just a massive waste of time, as most of them just ignore it. When you mention you are registered with them, they apologise saying they will remove your number from their database, just for them to again phone you back the next day.

They try to fine the ones behind it, all they do is close up shop claiming bankruptcy and open up a new company to carry on the next day. Now they are trying to fine the ones behind the companies rather than the companies, but all the do is have everything they own registered with their spouse and claim personal bankruptcy and that they have no assets, so even that doesn't work.

I say they should go after the staff making the calls, and as soon as they realise they are going to end up with a criminal record, they will be more reluctant to make those calls, as they know exactly what is going on and what they are doing.
Florida Man Makes Announcement.
We live in a crazy world where winter heating has become a luxury item.

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Mon, 12. Jun 17, 00:20

I'm registered on the US's "Do Not Call List." It doesn't make a darn bit of difference - Crooks are going to be crooks. Most of these people are calling from call centers outside of the immediate jurisdiction of US/UK, like in India/Pakistan. They're using huge blocks of numbers they've rented through five shells, and some still spoof 'em, anyway. And, then, even if they did trace the call, suing anyone or taking criminal action against them is practically impossible without the local police becoming actively involved, themselves.

Recently, there was a pretty big bust. But, because there's so much illegal money to be had, it's not going to be stopping anytime soon.

Return to “Off Topic English”