Game crashing when killing Q's

Ask here if you experience technical problems with X³: Terran Conflict, X³: Albion Prelude or X³: Farnham's Legacy.

Moderators: timon37, Moderators for English X Forum

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Sat, 18. Mar 17, 12:51

TDRs are an issue that successive versions of OSs and device drivers have sought to increasingly minimise their effects on the user, but in the end it relies on the application writer to build in a management schema that clears and restarts the relevant gpu and Direct3D elements for subsequent stable use after a TDR. Otherwise the only sure way to fully recover is to stop and restart the OS.

Endless Sky is a still-developing and cooperative-authoring venture and I honestly would not think that they have fully and finally error-trapped every element of their code yet. I personally would not use Endless Sky as a diagnostic indicator for your system state.

The fact that the crashes in X3AP are not attributed to TDRs would incline me to look elsewhere. We have ascertained that the crashes only occur on your system and game installation. You have changed graphics and sound drivers and you have checked for system stability and hardware issues.

Just reviewing your posts here, I have just realised that I don't see mention of the usual very first diagnostic step having been taken. Have you verified your Steam gamefile caches for X3TC and X3AP separately?

Also I know you said that your X3AP was unmodified, but have you ever modified your Steam version of X3TC?
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

T3Lunaris

Post by T3Lunaris » Sat, 18. Mar 17, 16:38

Thanks for the info on the TDR, keeps me from messing around in the registry.

I actually did verify my version on steam when I first started having the problem and was trying to see if I could fix it by graphics settings and/or changing in game weapons/turret settings (i.e. having turrets not fire on the Q while flying away), as for the TC I only installed it to run AP so it's unmodified but I did verify it.
I'm sure this probably wouldn't cause the problem but I use the mouse and keyboard and wondered if holding down multiple buttons on the keyboard had anything to do with it.

I still think that the Ion Shard Railgun has something to do with it given that the last thing I usually hear before the game crashes is the sound of the weapon impacting with my shield.

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Sat, 18. Mar 17, 17:04

That last bit of information makes it really seem like a codec issue, but you don't have any of the usual suspects - and you said you don't use a surroundsound emulator.

I checked your codec list against mine and the only differences that I can see are that you have these codecs:
  • iTV Data Sink,0x00600000,1,0,itvdata.dll,6.06.7601.17514
    iTV Data Capture filter,0x00600000,1,1,itvdata.dll,6.06.7601.17514

AVI Draw,0x00600064,9,1,quartz.dll,6.06.7601.19091
    RDP DShow Redirection Filter,0xffffffff,1,0,DShowRdpFilter.dll,
Also some of the AMD codecs that I have are named in your DxDiag as ATI ones. AMD has not been called ATI for a long time now and so maybe your recent graphics driver update was either incomplete or was not a clean uninstall and then reinstall. It might be worth doing a clean uninstall and then install of the latest suitable AMD driver - but the differences there might just be because I have the Win10 version driver and you have Win7.

Frankly I am rather stumped as to what else to try.

T3Lunaris

Post by T3Lunaris » Sat, 18. Mar 17, 18:36

I have no idea what those codecs are even for but I'm pretty sure that if I knew how to get rid of them I would cause I don't think they are that important (famous last words) as for the other thing I'm guessing it is probably just the difference in windows versions.

As for the glitch it's not as big a problem now that I've got my M7 Thresher for dealing with the Q's and I thank you for trying your best to solve the problem, I have a feeling this may just be one of those rare errors that is caused by a certain set of conditions that no one expected.

singrave
x3tc

Post by singrave » Tue, 4. Apr 17, 21:13

I've the same problem!
Same ship with PSSC in turrets and PM/AM in main slots.

Fighting one Q and some m3-m5 in Split sector and have CDT all the time.

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: X3TC.exe
Application Version:3.2.0.4
Application Timestamp: 0x576295f5
Fault Module Name: X3TC.exe
Fault Module Version: 3.2.0.4
Fault Module Timestamp: : 0x576295f5
Exception Code: 0xc0000095
Exception Offset: 0x0006672b
OS Version: Win 10 x64 PRO

I've updated my sound and video drivers, still crashes.

I've got no crashes in Vidar flying through Xenon sectors before.
Now in Springblossom in fight with Q and some m3-m5 i've got constant crashes.

DXDIAG:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-2TH8 ... sp=sharing

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Tue, 4. Apr 17, 21:37

@ singrave: I would suspect the Ffdshow codecs (and/or to a much lesser extent Xiph.Org ones) that you almost certainly don't need - or should disable for use with X games. These can cause stability issues with X games if allowed to run with them.

Also why are your NVidia and RealTek graphics and sound drivers not shown as WHQL-approved for Win10 x64? Are they beta versions or something similar?

Probably best to start your own Tech Sp thread as two different systems rarely have the same cause for very similar issues - especially where the majority of players are not having those issues. You can link to this thread in there if you want. Also please supply more information in there about your game version, source and its modification state.

T3Lunaris

Post by T3Lunaris » Wed, 5. Apr 17, 06:02

Though I do find it odd that we both have the same problem with the same ship in the same situation. I mean yes the odds are low but we both use M/AM guns and the PSSC and have the same error so there may be something to this.

Course I'm enjoying my Pteranodon with the PALC too much to worry about it anymore.

singrave
x3tc

Post by singrave » Wed, 5. Apr 17, 07:20

Thanks for the answer!
I've the latest steam version of X3:TC, absolutely clear game.
I've downloaded video and sound drivers from vendor's sites, realtec.com.tw and nvidia.com. Not betas.

I've done another dxdiag with WHQL check now.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-2TH8 ... sp=sharing

I had CTD at the same circumstances, as OP.
a) it only happens when I'm pulling away from the Q and leaving from the rear (not from the front)
Yesterday, i've managed to kill Q without CDT.
I've always been in front of Q.

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Wed, 5. Apr 17, 13:12

Thanks. Did you disable Ffdshow with X3 games? Their codecs are still in the new DxDiag.

singrave
x3tc

Post by singrave » Wed, 5. Apr 17, 14:18

Alan Phipps wrote:Thanks. Did you disable Ffdshow with X3 games? Their codecs are still in the new DxDiag.
Yes, i've checked fddshow, it's disabled for X3TC.EXE

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Wed, 5. Apr 17, 15:25

Ok, there does seem to be a bit of a trend in this for some players. There has to be something you all have in common. It could be something to do with the various Springblossom weapons and their firing and hit effects when on systems or playstyles with that common factor. (I don't know what that common factor is though.)

Similar issue thread.

Return to “X³: Terran Conflict / Albion Prelude / Farnham's Legacy - Technical Support”