Friday night quiz.

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

greypanther
x3ap

Post by greypanther » Sat, 15. Apr 17, 22:47

Oh goody another quiz. :)

I am afraid I only got 80 %, I recognised a couple but couldn't remember their name! Doh!

Edit: I didn't post another quiz yesterday, because I thought it was only me and mrbadger who were still interested...
Pray that there's intelligent life somewhere up in space
'Cause there's bugger all down here on Earth

berth
x4

Post by berth » Sun, 16. Apr 17, 00:29

76%

I recognised the Silent Running one straight off but the name of the ship? A pure guess. :)

Edit: No, it's not just you two. I'm a massive lurker :)

Santi
Moderator (DevNet)
Moderator (DevNet)
x4

Post by Santi » Sun, 16. Apr 17, 04:50

Doing my thing and bringing the media down, 64%. Really enjoying the quizzes.
A por ellos que son pocos y cobardes

Golden_Gonads
x3tc

Post by Golden_Gonads » Sun, 16. Apr 17, 14:35

I managed 88% by a mix of being clever (ha!), obvious wrong answers, paying attention to the clue at the top and (largely) pure dumb guesswork.

mrbadger
x3tc

Post by mrbadger » Sun, 16. Apr 17, 15:11

funny thing is, everyone could get 100% on every quiz using google image search. But then why even bother if you're going to do that.

I have to admit I got the name of the Silent Running Ship by sheer nervous guesswork.

Given that is one of my all time favorite favorite classic SF movies getting that one wrong would have upset me, but getting it right by guesswork alone still required a confession....
If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared. ... Niccolò Machiavelli

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Sun, 16. Apr 17, 20:10

No science-fiction fan should ever forget the name "Valley Forge." It's an iconic science-fiction ship and pieces of it have been used in other science-fiction shows and movies. (re-used footage, too.) Famously, it was also a ship that was in the civilian flotilla in the old "Battlestar Galactica" series and a 3D repro made it into the new series, like many of the more recognizable ships from the old series.

Trumbull had virtual carte blanche for "Silent Running" in terms of content, story and, in many ways, special effects. And, it shows - The story is strong, the special effects are brilliant and the movie's theme delves deep into the spirit of the times regarding environmentalism movements. The combination of entertainment, science-fiction and "political action statement" is pretty unique and blazes brightly in Silent Running.

The Valley Forge is right up there in recognizability, on par with Discovery ("One", dangit..) from 2001. But, the most important part of the theme of these sorts of ships is that they're self-contained settings. The stories told in these sorts of movies revolve almost entirely around what happens within these ships. They're "homes in space." I think that, more than anything, sets such fictional ships apart from many others. It's why I didn't mention a Star Destroyer or even the Enterprise.

And, yes, it's obvious I love Silent Running. It's a darn good movie and can be a real tearjerker, too. You do not find a good science-fiction flick with good special effects, good story, great characters and with a heavy-hitting emotional storyline very often. In fact, that somewhat depressing story is one of the reasons that audiences were somewhat taken aback - They looked for an adventure and ended up having to endure something that was emotionally deep and made them ask themselves some unsettling questions.

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Sun, 16. Apr 17, 20:28

Morkonan wrote:The Valley Forge is right up there in recognizability...
Oh, I recognised it easily enough; I just couldn't put a name to it. In my defence it's at least 20 years since I last saw the film, though.

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Sun, 16. Apr 17, 21:07

CBJ wrote:
Morkonan wrote:The Valley Forge is right up there in recognizability...
Oh, I recognised it easily enough; I just couldn't put a name to it. In my defence it's at least 20 years since I last saw the film, though.
:)

Back in the day, I was, of course, a huge science-fiction fan. I subscribed to all the old US-based sci-fi mags and movie/effects mags. That's where I first saw the Valley Forge as well as most of the older special effects stuffs. Back then, they'd run huge articles for "behind the scenes" work on these movies. They were awesome! So, I saw the ship and all the other effects before I ever saw the movie. I fell in love with the ship's "realism." It wasn't aerodynamic. It didn't have smooth lines and it looked as if it was built as a "working ship" rather than some pleasure yacht meant to be on a sci-fi recruiting poster.

It was a "well written" ship. :) Majestic, stoic, purposeful... wonderfully done and seared into my memory.

Sorry for going on about it, but these sorts of impressions are what I think more science-fiction needs to do. Science Fiction ships shouldn't all be this way (We do need "Dark Stars" every once-in-awhile) but serious stories need serious ships. Silent Running, 2001, Alien, etc.

PS - Worst sci-fi ship from a standard release movie, evar: "Nell" from "Battle Beyond the Stars." Yes, it's a "she" and, yes, the ship has "boobs."

Nell

Movie was sort of terrible, but the "theme" of a sort of "Magnificent Seven" in space wasn't bad. But, a ship with boobs on it isn't something anyone would take seriously. Uh, well, not as a "ship", anyway, since there is a serious appeal in certain combinations of curved surfaces for at least half of the members of the human species.

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Sun, 16. Apr 17, 21:15

Morkonan wrote: The Valley Forge is right up there in recognizability, on par with Discovery ("One", dangit..) from 2001.
Of course, it wasn't the only ship of that class in the movie--there was the Berkshire, which finds the Valley Forge at the end, plus several others I don't remember the names of.

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Mon, 17. Apr 17, 03:02

pjknibbs wrote:...Of course, it wasn't the only ship of that class in the movie--there was the Berkshire, which finds the Valley Forge at the end, plus several others I don't remember the names of.
That's one-up on me. :) I just loved the Valley Forge.

And, Huey, Duey, and Louie of course. (Consider them R2D2's grandparents)

mrbadger
x3tc

Post by mrbadger » Mon, 17. Apr 17, 10:25

I'm still convinced that at least one of the droids in the hold of the Jawa transport is a near identical copy of one of the Valley Forge Droids.

I'm sure I read somewhere the model makers of Star Wars were inspired by them.
If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared. ... Niccolò Machiavelli

mrbadger
x3tc

Post by mrbadger » Fri, 21. Apr 17, 21:22

New quiz

This week it's a general science one, rather then just science fiction.

I had a little go, but haven't had time to complete it. I will later and post my score. In the bit I did I didn't do all that well.

https://www.britannica.com/quiz/science-quiz

edit 182/200 with 8/8 right. I find the scoring system confusing. Maybe some of the answers are 'nearly' right. I did restart it a few times because of noscript messing it up.
Last edited by mrbadger on Fri, 21. Apr 17, 21:35, edited 3 times in total.

Rug
x4

Post by Rug » Fri, 21. Apr 17, 21:30

I scored 163/200 with 7/8 questions right.

Am I winning so far ? :P

Rug
I like to think everyone just wants to feel human.

(Antilogic)

brucewarren
x3tc

Post by brucewarren » Fri, 21. Apr 17, 21:48

I did very badly. I had no idea how much whales drink, nor why geological ages are so named. I'll just go sit in the corner wearing my "D" cap.

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Fri, 21. Apr 17, 21:58

139/200

mrbadger
x3tc

Post by mrbadger » Fri, 21. Apr 17, 22:11

brucewarren wrote:I did very badly. I had no idea how much whales drink, nor why geological ages are so named. I'll just go sit in the corner wearing my "D" cap.
Next week it'll be a science fiction one again, that's a promise, I just fancied a change this week, and it was my turn to choose.

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Fri, 21. Apr 17, 22:43

7/8, 167/200...no, I don't understand the scoring system either.

greypanther
x3ap

Post by greypanther » Fri, 21. Apr 17, 22:48

mrbadger wrote:I find the scoring system confusing.
That is because part of the score comes from how fast you enter the answers, so I guess it scoring you on how well you know the answers. :)

( It actually says it in the description somewhere! I also posted just that on page two of this thread! :P )

I got 7/8 and 170 points. :)

mrbadger
x3tc

Post by mrbadger » Fri, 21. Apr 17, 23:10

greypanther wrote:
mrbadger wrote:I find the scoring system confusing.
That is because part of the score comes from how fast you enter the answers, so I guess it scoring you on how well you know the answers. :)

( It actually says it in the description somewhere! I also posted just that on page two of this thread! :P )

I got 7/8 and 170 points. :)
Aahhh! That makes much more sense. I shouldn't have sat there like an idiot looking at the clock tick along wondering what that was for then.....

Also, beat ya :D

greypanther
x3ap

Post by greypanther » Fri, 21. Apr 17, 23:20

mrbadger wrote: Also, beat ya :D
That is not so difficult I am afraid, ( I got the wrong Fuller ) I am the classic underachieving; sinning; loser! :) :wink:

Return to “Off Topic English”