Friday night quiz.

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

greypanther
x3ap

Friday night quiz.

Post by greypanther » Fri, 24. Mar 17, 23:45

One for military history anoraks I guess and an answer for so much negativity?

99% of people can't name each of these World War II planes from an image. Can you?
Click here

Please forgive the huge link; I am too
stupid to work out how to shorten.

I managed to get 31 out of 49, which is embarrassing, considering context is such a clue.

Edit: shortened link to relevant part and put it into url tags. See this FAQ article on how to fix not working links and this one on how to use url tags. X2-Illuminatus
Last edited by greypanther on Fri, 12. May 17, 10:43, edited 6 times in total.
Pray that there's intelligent life somewhere up in space
'Cause there's bugger all down here on Earth

berth
x4

Post by berth » Sat, 25. Mar 17, 00:21

Nope.

Don't feel too bad; I got 25.

After a strong start it all went south. I'd never even heard of most of them but the markings offer clues generally.

I reckon some of them were screenshots from IL2 (or similar).

:oops:

jlehtone
x4

Post by jlehtone » Sat, 25. Mar 17, 19:02

There were many "never-heard-of"s (but I got more of them right than some the familiar ones :oops: ).

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Sat, 25. Mar 17, 23:52

28 :(

Some of those were darn tough and very sneaky, too!

Usenko
x3

Post by Usenko » Sun, 26. Mar 17, 07:10

Some of them were pretty obscure, and although earlier in the quiz you could use the national markings, it became tricky when they started using Confederate Air Force examples (and the occasional CGI model!). :)
Morkonan wrote:What really happened isn't as exciting. Putin flexed his left thigh during his morning ride on a flying bear, right after beating fifty Judo blackbelts, which he does upon rising every morning. (Not that Putin sleeps, it's just that he doesn't want to make others feel inadequate.)

philip_hughes
x3tc

Post by philip_hughes » Sun, 26. Mar 17, 08:13

38- including a complete brain fart when i decided that a Mustang was a lightning! Obviously the two planes are extremely similar.

Typically you could tell the nationality by its cut- Japanese and us planes were easy as were British and french designs. The Hungarian one was pretty obscure, and as luck would have it, i knew very well what a hien looked like- one of the few in line Japanese designs.

I missed the battle but in my defense, the camera angle was pretty bad.
Split now give me death? Nah. Just give me your ship.

mrbadger
x3tc

Post by mrbadger » Sun, 26. Mar 17, 12:47

21 out of 49

I've forwarded it to my colleague who had a full air force career before turning to Academia. He can virtually strip and rebuild a Harrier jump-jet fuselage without looking at a manual, so if he doesn't get them all I shall mock him mightily I shall.
If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared. ... Niccolò Machiavelli

Usenko
x3

Post by Usenko » Sun, 26. Mar 17, 12:59

philip_hughes wrote: Typically you could tell the nationality by its cut- Japanese and us planes were easy as were British and french designs. The Hungarian one was pretty obscure, and as luck would have it, i knew very well what a hien looked like- one of the few in line Japanese designs.
Missing the Hien would have been grounds for disowning, given the number of hours you and I put into Dad's model Hien!

(Not that the thing ever actually flew . . . )
Morkonan wrote:What really happened isn't as exciting. Putin flexed his left thigh during his morning ride on a flying bear, right after beating fifty Judo blackbelts, which he does upon rising every morning. (Not that Putin sleeps, it's just that he doesn't want to make others feel inadequate.)

Chips
x4

Post by Chips » Mon, 27. Mar 17, 22:12

Got bored at 27 pictures as I thought it was never ending...

It seems less "which is this" more "can you identify the nationality of the flag" - at 27 I had got 4 wrong. Unsurprisingly they were ALL ones without any marks denoting the nation.

I sure as bloody hell do not know the vast majority of those planes at all; show me the picture without any options and I'd get it wrong in all but perhaps 5 of them to that point. Most I didn't even know by name let alone their shape, but nation markings were massive clue!

That's a poorly crafted quiz - unless the idea is to make you feel like you know more than you do and likely to share it for advertising revenue, then it's genius :D :D

philip_hughes
x3tc

Post by philip_hughes » Wed, 29. Mar 17, 13:41

There were a few rebranded planes there, also some bate metal ones. Not all were as you said

mrbadger
x3tc

Post by mrbadger » Wed, 29. Mar 17, 14:25

My Aerospace friend didn't bother to finish it, although he didn't get a plane wrong.

Apparently too many of the planes were actually just the same planes made under license elsewhere with minor changes, not a good quiz at all.
If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared. ... Niccolò Machiavelli

philip_hughes
x3tc

Post by philip_hughes » Wed, 29. Mar 17, 15:42

A lot of american planes showed up repeatedly- especially p4-n's

greypanther
x3ap

Post by greypanther » Fri, 31. Mar 17, 16:24

So as no one else wants to come up with a quiz for Friday night, I will have to link to one as promised. :D

Sci-fi fan quiz

Embarrassing, but I only got eight out of fifteen. :oops:
Pray that there's intelligent life somewhere up in space
'Cause there's bugger all down here on Earth

Bishop149
x3

Post by Bishop149 » Fri, 31. Mar 17, 16:40

10 out of 15 for me.
Helped that I am currently reading the Trilogy that is the subject of question 6.

Edit: I got 30/48 for the planes. I know nothing about planes, however I do know the symbols each country used to mark its aircraft with and roughly which manufactures operated out of which country. . . . this allowed me pretty accurate guesses.
There was one Japanese plane pictured with US markings, that one confused me.
Last edited by Bishop149 on Fri, 31. Mar 17, 16:51, edited 1 time in total.
"Shoot for the Moon. If you miss, you'll end up co-orbiting the Sun alongside Earth, living out your days alone in the void within sight of the lush, welcoming home you left behind." - XKCD

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Fri, 31. Mar 17, 16:42

I got 12.

birdtable
x4

Post by birdtable » Fri, 31. Mar 17, 16:52

10 .... Could do better, maybe next time.

philip_hughes
x3tc

Post by philip_hughes » Fri, 31. Mar 17, 22:14

7/15. HA! I only knew one question.

OmegaKnight
x3tc

Post by OmegaKnight » Sat, 1. Apr 17, 00:01

12/15
and
34 for the planes

berth
x4

Post by berth » Sat, 1. Apr 17, 00:30

11 this time.

Still some guesses though - Dr Who, Phil Tippett &c

philip_hughes
x3tc

Post by philip_hughes » Sat, 1. Apr 17, 01:30

Would you like me to post some of my stats tutorials? Once you figure them out, they are fun to do.

Return to “Off Topic English”