Friday night quiz.

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

greypanther
x3ap

Post by greypanther » Mon, 29. May 17, 14:23

I am shocked that I only got 15/20, I though I would have got them all right too. :(
17 seconds seems odd too, it seemed much longer than that...
Pray that there's intelligent life somewhere up in space
'Cause there's bugger all down here on Earth

linolafett
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by linolafett » Mon, 29. May 17, 16:11

15/20 in 41s. i am a slowpoke.
01001100 01101001 01101110 01100101 01110011 00100000 01101111 01100110 00100000 01110100 01101001 01101101 01100101 01110011 00101110 00101110 00101110

My art stuff

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Mon, 29. May 17, 18:45

pjknibbs wrote:...Tea is the name usually given to the evening meal in the UK, as well as being the drink you're probably thinking of. What do Americans call it?
I figured it was something like that, but I thought it was an afternoon sort of thing, like around 4pm or whatever. /noclue I never considered that it might be a full meal.

In the US, depending upon region, the evening meal is colloquially called "dinner" or "supper."

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Mon, 29. May 17, 18:58

Those terms are also used in the UK, but "tea" is an alternative in some households. It may be partly a regional variation, but I think there may also historically be a link to social class, where working-class people came home from work hungry, and tended to both have a cup of tea and eat a full meal relatively early in the evening, at 5 or 6pm. More genteel types might have had "afternoon tea" (that's the thing you're thinking of Morkonan) around 3 or 4pm and then eaten their "supper" somewhat later. "Dinner" is somewhat of a, um, movable feast. It can mean lunch or supper, again depending on your background, and sometimes it can be used interchangeably (most kids will refer to the mealtime assistants at school who oversee their lunch as "dinner ladies", and then those from families who call the evening meal dinner will go home and ask if it's dinner time yet).

mrbadger
x3tc

Post by mrbadger » Mon, 29. May 17, 19:53

My nan, who we lived with when I first came to the UK from the land of Oz, came from Liverpool, and she always called the evening meal Tea.

I assume that's where I got it from, My mum did too. It only seems fairly recently that people have started to question my use of Tea to describe the evening meal. But that could just be since I started to use the term online or at work.

Dinner is apparently supposed to be the evening meal, but then why were the ladies who served meals at school called Dinnerladies?

Surely that was Mid-day, so Lunch?

It's all very confusing.
If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared. ... Niccolò Machiavelli

greypanther
x3ap

Post by greypanther » Mon, 29. May 17, 20:30

I would say it is a regional thing to be honest, CBJ put it well too. I suspect you have become a southerner, mrbadger and can well imagine your Scouse ancestors spinning in their graves at your Southern Nancy Boy ways... :P :wink:

birdtable
x4

Post by birdtable » Mon, 29. May 17, 20:54

Surely the early mid day meal is Tiffin,, in the evening you have Dinner or Full Course Dinner, then there's Breakfast or maybe later Brunch ,,then there's Elevenses, then maybe Afternoon Tea or if your lucky High Tea and in the evening Supper ..... Labouring classes had Dinner mid day (usually consisting of the hoof of some animal surrounded by lard and bread) and Office chaps had Dinner in the evening,, the working classes would be down the pub by then .... in amongst all that you have nibbles, snacks or whatever. .. Oh ! I forgot the working classes had an early breakfast .. Cuppa and a Fag to set them up for the day, soft southerners have a breakfast of usually muesli and skimmed milk with a slice of avocado ....... :)

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Mon, 29. May 17, 23:22

CBJ wrote:It can mean lunch or supper, again depending on your background, and sometimes it can be used interchangeably
My family always had a slightly odd way of doing things where the main meal of the day would be in the evenings during the week (because everyone was either at work or school during the day), but would be in the middle of the day at weekends. To avoid confusion we therefore always called said main meal "dinner" whatever time of day it happened to be. This meant that the other non-breakfast meal of the day would be "lunch" during the week and "tea" at weekends!

brucewarren
x3tc

Post by brucewarren » Tue, 30. May 17, 02:00

Personal opinion warning. Your mealage may vary.

To me the difference between tea and dinner is the level of formality.

Dinner is the formal meal. Folk sometimes speak of fine dining etc. If you're really posh you might have silverware and candlesticks on the dining table.

greypanther
x3ap

Post by greypanther » Tue, 30. May 17, 11:43

brucewarren wrote:P
To me the difference between tea and dinner is the level of formality.

Dinner is the formal meal. Folk sometimes speak of fine dining etc. If you're really posh you might have silverware and candlesticks on the dining table.
greypanther wrote:Southern Nancy Boy ways... :P :wink:
Exactly brucewarren, exactly... :roll:

brucewarren
x3tc

Post by brucewarren » Tue, 30. May 17, 12:20

As opposed to these four Yorkshiremen @greypanther?

greypanther
x3ap

Post by greypanther » Tue, 30. May 17, 13:53

brucewarren wrote:As opposed to these four Yorkshiremen @greypanther?
Indeed brucewarren, salt of the earth your average Yorkshieman...

However, I was born on the right side of the Pennines, Lancashire.

I now live in Cheshire you know? :roll:

mrbadger
x3tc

Post by mrbadger » Fri, 2. Jun 17, 18:31

Something for the brainiacs, and something for the less mentally capable of us :)

Can you find the equations?

quiz link

(if you're me the answer is a resounding no....)
I assume it works, I tried it, but getting a decent score was impossible.

Can you name the Star Wars planets and moons?

quiz link

Can you name the movie from these pictures?

quiz link
If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared. ... Niccolò Machiavelli

X2-Illuminatus
Moderator (Deutsch)
Moderator (Deutsch)
x4

Post by X2-Illuminatus » Fri, 2. Jun 17, 19:12

mrbadger wrote:Can you find the equations?

quiz link
Score
11/14

TIMER
01:54
mrbadger wrote:Can you name the Star Wars planets and moons?

quiz link
More like "Can you spell the Star Wars planets and moons correctly?" :roll:

10/20
mrbadger wrote:Can you name the movie from these pictures?

quiz link
7/16
Nun verfügbar! X3: Farnham's Legacy - Ein neues Kapitel für einen alten Favoriten

Die komplette X-Roman-Reihe jetzt als Kindle E-Books! (Farnhams Legende, Nopileos, X3: Yoshiko, X3: Hüter der Tore, X3: Wächter der Erde)

Neuauflage der fünf X-Romane als Taschenbuch

The official X-novels Farnham's Legend, Nopileos, X3: Yoshiko as Kindle e-books!

Ezarkal
x4

Post by Ezarkal » Fri, 2. Jun 17, 19:17

16/20, 32 seconds (astronomy test)
I'm pretty sure I could do faster, but I guess language is a factor in these speed tests.

Equations: 12/14, 1:33. I got lucky on the wave equation, though.

These are quite fun. Keep them coming!
Last edited by Ezarkal on Fri, 2. Jun 17, 19:22, edited 1 time in total.
Humans are deuterostomes, which means that when they develop in the womb the first opening they develop is the anus.
This means that at one point you were nothing but an asshole.

Some people never develop beyond this stage.

e1team
x3tc

Post by e1team » Fri, 2. Jun 17, 19:20

Well I found 8/14 equations. Though I mis-klicked some because took me time to understand what's needed :oops:

I totally failed on Star wars one... Mostly I didn't know how to spell the names :( 5/20

On the movies one I got 8/16. Were movies I never seen.
"I feel like that's not the way fantasy space travel works in the real fantasy universe."
[ external image ][ external image ][ external image ]
Freya Nocturne's Sigantures

Nanook
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Nanook » Fri, 2. Jun 17, 19:55

mrbadger wrote:...
Can you find the equations?
11/14 in 2:01

I'm with X2 on the Star Wars one. :lol:

As for the movies, my scifi movie foo is weak, I'm afraid. Only 9/16 as time expired. :oops:
Have a great idea for the current or a future game? You can post it in the [L3+] Ideas forum.

X4 is a journey, not a destination. Have fun on your travels.

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Fri, 2. Jun 17, 20:07

11/14 for the equations.

Got the first 3 Star Wars planets then my mind went completely blank and I couldn't remember any names, despite recognising the scenes most of them came from.

75% for the films.

Chips
x4

Post by Chips » Fri, 2. Jun 17, 20:07

12/14 on equations in 1:38. But to be fair, I hadn't heard of 2 (which I got right, guessing ftw!) and got 2 wrong as 1 was unfamiliar terming, and the other was plain forgotten.

Star wars - I cannot spell them. Once finding the actual names, I got 10 :D

10/16 on the film from pics - a proper "that's the name" afterwards :D

mrbadger
x3tc

Post by mrbadger » Fri, 2. Jun 17, 20:22

I won't do another thing where you have to type into a freetext field. There was a more interesting quiz I had to not use because that format made it even more difficult.

I'll do them in a bit, busy now.

Return to “Off Topic English”