X4 wishlist for modders.

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X Rebirth.

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Scripting / Modding Moderators

Meme Turtle

X4 wishlist for modders.

Post by Meme Turtle » Tue, 4. Apr 17, 02:20

While there is a number of topics for discussing possible new features of the upcoming game, I have not noticed any dedicated to only modding features. As such I propose to have a topic for discussing possible improvements in the modding system of the new game in X series.

From my limited modding experience of X Rebirth I have only one suggestion:

Support for custom dlls.
While this might be tricky to implement ability to have custom functions in native language(C++) can provide boost to both performance of mods as well as their complexity. Think about custom AI for intelligent control of ships or even management of entire factions like in CWIR mod. It is possible to implement it via XML scripts, however it is way easier to do so using one of high-level languages due to OOP support and easier debugging.

A good example of a game with user dll support is kerbal space program. In KSP user can implement his own dlls in C#, which interface with game engine via engine api. At the same time calls for custom functions from dlls are used in user defined components. As a result mods that simulate behaviour of fission/fusion reactors or colony management are possible.

In a sense this is already implemented in X Rebirth, as AI scripts call a set of core(engine) functions described in xml libraries. What I propose is to allow users extend existing libraries of core functions via dlls.

UniTrader
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by UniTrader » Tue, 4. Apr 17, 04:04

if not stated otherwise everything i post is licensed under WTFPL

Ich mache keine S&M-Auftragsarbeiten, aber wenn es fragen gibt wie man etwas umsetzen kann helfe ich gerne weiter ;)

I wont do Script&Mod Request work, but if there are questions how to do something i will GLaDly help ;)

Return to “X Rebirth - Scripts and Modding”