Random Game Recommendation

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

RegisterMe
x4

Random Game Recommendation

Post by RegisterMe » Wed, 5. Apr 17, 20:54

Idle Evolution - I picked it up on a whim the other day. £2 or something on Steam. I've put ~10 hours into it so far. It's kind of a cross between a strategic clicker game (without the clicking), the history of earth, a continuing chemistry lesson and a planetary (biological?) evolution sim.

Sort of.

Still, at 20p / hour entertainment I've got my money's worth so far :).
I can't breathe.

- George Floyd, 25th May 2020

linolafett
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by linolafett » Thu, 6. Apr 17, 09:11

Factorio.
20 bucks and perfectly fits in my process refining playstyle.
Craft stuff.
Craft a factory which crafts stuff for you.
Craft factories, which craft stuff for the crafting factories.
Build a rocket to escape the alien planet you are stranded on while defending yourself from nasty alien buggers.
01001100 01101001 01101110 01100101 01110011 00100000 01101111 01100110 00100000 01110100 01101001 01101101 01100101 01110011 00101110 00101110 00101110

My art stuff

InFlamesForEver
x3tc

Post by InFlamesForEver » Thu, 6. Apr 17, 09:55

Thanks Linolafett, that game sounds great. I might just get it.
In Flames We Trust
Listening to Whitechapel soothes the soul!! :D     ¹ ¤ ¹      But, the nuns are watching...
Samuel Creshal wrote:Keyboards: What separates the men from the boys.
XRM Trailer - XRM Installation Guide Video

BigBANGtheory
x4

Post by BigBANGtheory » Thu, 6. Apr 17, 10:26

S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Lost Alpha

This is a free standalone game from a Polish team of modders based off of one of the early pre-release dev builds of S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Shadow of Chernobyl that was publically released years ago. The aim of Lost Alpha is to deliver on the vision of the original ShoC which many saw was cut back due to development overruns. Compared to ShoC they have added new areas, updated the renderer to support Dx10/11 and have working vehicles which allow you to stash and travel plus a long long list of other items such as a new story.

You can download and play v1.3003 right now it was released and patched in 2014 however the final release date for Lost Alpha Developer's Cut is the 26th of April 2017 with many more additions and fixes. In the words of Olivia Newton-John... that's the one you want.

brucewarren
x3tc

Post by brucewarren » Thu, 6. Apr 17, 11:03

Been playing Transport Fever a fair bit recently.

Probably not for everyone - the planes and ships are cool looking but the trains are where the money's at.

OmegaKnight
x3tc

Post by OmegaKnight » Fri, 7. Apr 17, 01:37

linolafett wrote:Factorio.
Craft stuff.
Build a rocket to escape the alien planet you are stranded on while defending yourself from nasty alien buggers.
+1 to this

Still in early access (puts some people off)
Has a demo both on own site and the steam page.
Also has cooperative multiplayer.

Every time you play you get a bit better at it,
then you try out the combinators and circuit wiring,
and it's like starting the game anew.

then there is crazy...
Tetris
Movie player with 178x100 display

Ezarkal
x4

Post by Ezarkal » Fri, 7. Apr 17, 06:09

Brütal Legend. A good old hack and slash/adventure game with filled awesome humor. The trailer sums it pretty well. I went through this game more than once, and had a blast every time.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ISlVt5nF2c

Otherwise, Darkest Dungeon. A high-risk/high reward driven dungeon crawler that has you managing a rooster of adventurers as they clear out the ruins of your ancient manor while battling bandits, undeads and demons. It's a demanding game that has you make crucial decisions every steps of the way. Your heroes will die.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wjiBB3nBR-w
Haven't cleared it yet, but it's definitively on my "to finish as soon as I have time" list. (There are now quite a few games in there, now)

Factorio's trailers didn't appeal much to me when I first saw them, but after hearing you guys I think I'll give it a second look.
Humans are deuterostomes, which means that when they develop in the womb the first opening they develop is the anus.
This means that at one point you were nothing but an asshole.

Some people never develop beyond this stage.

Antilogic
x3tc

Post by Antilogic » Fri, 7. Apr 17, 20:29

linolafett wrote:Factorio.
Craft stuff.
You didn't mention that it's basically f**king crack you evil person.

BugMeister
x4

Post by BugMeister » Sun, 9. Apr 17, 18:01

Fallout Shelter

- if you don't mind going bald.. :D :thumb_up:
- the whole universe is running in BETA mode - we're working on it.. beep..!! :D :thumb_up:

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Sun, 9. Apr 17, 18:50

BugMeister wrote:Fallout Shelter

- if you don't mind going bald.. :D :thumb_up:
I've been interested in trying this out, since it's free and part of a cool IP. However, some testimonials I've seen mention frustration with constant attacks, nonsensical occurrences that end up destroying one's base, etc...

So, is there a frustration-factor involved with it? I love building and management games, but if want to spend a lot of time finessing a group of toons into some sort of stable collective, only to have them wiped out by an angry beaver or a common cold, I'd play Rimworld. :)

OmegaKnight
x3tc

Post by OmegaKnight » Tue, 25. Apr 17, 19:43

Well my free time just disappeared
Factorio
just launched the 0.15 update
https://forums.factorio.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=44505
which adds nuclear power, new research and a bunch or other changes to the base game
and
Starsector
just launched it's 0.8a release
http://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index ... c=11477.01
which vastly increases the size of the map to explore, overhauled the experience system and added salvage and surveying.

@Antilogic how far down the rabbit hole have you gone?

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Tue, 25. Apr 17, 22:14

Haven't played Starsector in ages--don't really want to play it again until he actually finishes the blasted thing, but that's taking an absolute age.

clakclak
x3

Post by clakclak » Tue, 25. Apr 17, 23:10

Have been playing Mirage: Arcane Warfare and I like it a lot!
"The problem with gender is that it prescribes how we should be rather than recognizing how we are. Imagine how much happier we would be, how much freer to be our true individual selves, if we didn't have the weight of gender expectations." - Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie

euclid
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by euclid » Wed, 26. Apr 17, 03:12

Hmmm .... besides the "big ones" like Fallout 4, The Witcher 3, Skyrim Special Edition and Diablo 3 I'm still playing every now an then again older games like Hostile Waters and Haegemonia. As I said, both are old so don't expect super graphics but they are RTS games and not that easy to master. Finished them many times but still find new strategies.

Cheers Euclid
"In any special doctrine of nature there can be only as much proper science as there is mathematics therein.”
- Immanuel Kant (1724-1804), Metaphysical Foundations of the Science of Nature, 4:470, 1786

Stars_InTheirEyes
x4

Post by Stars_InTheirEyes » Thu, 27. Apr 17, 02:09

PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds....
The creator of the original Arma 3 mod DayZ got a team together and made this battle royale- type game. Between 90 to 100 players are matched together (matchmaking takes seconds due to it being the 4th most played steam game right now), dropped from a plane over an abandoned island and they have to search buildings for weapons, attachments, medic supplies, armour and vehicles. There is a safe zone on the map called 'the circle' which constricts every couple minutes (circle locations I think are totally random, but each successive circle will be somewhere in the one preceding it). Being outside the circle causes damage over time. As the playable area gets smaller, players are forced to meet each other and kill each other until there's only 1 left.
The closest I've got to winning is second place, twice. Been top 10 around six times in 18 hours of play...
There's team play as well, but I've only done solo.

Its a lot of fun. Can be frustrating at times but the tension when you get close to winning is a feeling I haven't got in any other game.
Sometimes I stream stuff: https://www.twitch.tv/sorata77 (currently World of Tanks)
This sı not ǝpısdn down.
MyAnimeList,
Steam: Sorata

Antilogic
x3tc

Post by Antilogic » Thu, 27. Apr 17, 10:57

OmegaKnight wrote: @Antilogic how far down the rabbit hole have you gone?
Me and a mate completed the rocket on our last go which we were pretty happy with.

Going to be starting a new game sometime after finishing our current Stellaris game and see how things go with 0.15.

linolafett
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by linolafett » Thu, 4. May 17, 09:38

Stars_InTheirEyes wrote:PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds
Can recommend, its good fun when you team up.
Its still a bit rough around the edges, but that does not affect the fun a lot. Good game so far.
01001100 01101001 01101110 01100101 01110011 00100000 01101111 01100110 00100000 01110100 01101001 01101101 01100101 01110011 00101110 00101110 00101110

My art stuff

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Wed, 10. May 17, 21:35

Been playing Terraria quick a bit, lately. On CONSOLE, no less!

I've had the PC version for a long time, but just didn't get into that much. I was looking for a bit of fun that could be multiplayer, so tried it on console.

I've actually had more fun on the console version, single-player, than I had when playing the PC. Console is only currently up to 1.2.3 patch, but some sort of grand unification patch for the entire game up to the latest 1.3? version is due out in the next month or so, so it will add tons of new items/stuffs for the console version.

All in all, it's a pretty fun console experience, even though the controls are a bit clunky on a controller and precision/response-time for certain actions can be sometimes aggravating. (Almost blew myself up last night...) And, for console, open-world, fight/craft/build game, it's hard to beat if one doesn't mind the aesthetic.

PS - Anyone have a multiplayer console game recommendation that isn't either an MMO or a FPS? I suppose an action rpg that isn't Diablo 3 is desired. (Nor Torchlight. Both are great, but looking for something a little bit different.) Why? Myself and a friend have been playing Diablo 3 for awhile, just to have something to do together long-distance. We've burned out, for the moment, on D3 and are looking for something with similar quality and that can be played for a few minutes or an hour and still yields a feeling of accomplishment/character-building. (I am really, really, really, tired of grinding for max stat ancient drops in D3... :) )

Stars_InTheirEyes
x4

Post by Stars_InTheirEyes » Wed, 10. May 17, 21:47

Morkonan wrote: PS - Anyone have a multiplayer console game recommendation that isn't either an MMO or a FPS? I suppose an action rpg that isn't Diablo 3 is desired. (Nor Torchlight. Both are great, but looking for something a little bit different.) Why? Myself and a friend have been playing Diablo 3 for awhile, just to have something to do together long-distance. We've burned out, for the moment, on D3 and are looking for something with similar quality and that can be played for a few minutes or an hour and still yields a feeling of accomplishment/character-building. (I am really, really, really, tired of grinding for max stat ancient drops in D3... :) )
There's For Honor. A medieval battle arena multiplayer-only game. Came out earlier this year and the beta was fun but I never got round to getting the full game.
Sometimes I stream stuff: https://www.twitch.tv/sorata77 (currently World of Tanks)
This sı not ǝpısdn down.
MyAnimeList,
Steam: Sorata

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Wed, 10. May 17, 22:03

Stars_InTheirEyes wrote:...
There's For Honor. A medieval battle arena multiplayer-only game. Came out earlier this year and the beta was fun but I never got round to getting the full game.
Yeah, I've looked into it, but it's geared towards competitive play. For me, that's fine and I enjoy that. But, for my friend, he's dead-set against PVP because he sucks at it. :) (I think he's just not given it much of a chance, to be honest. But, one likes what one likes and it's not my place to criticize a friend for that.)

It's certainly a difficult request to fill, to find a non-pvp multiplayer game that a couple of friends can play together that doesn't involve either FPS or competitive online play.

Destiny might be a decent choice or maybe Warframe. I don't think he's got much of an interest in either, though. /scratches head Definitely a hard request to fill, that's for sure, since the multiplayer market is dominated by pvp titles for the most part.

Return to “Off Topic English”