Do any of you like to Dogfight,good furball???

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

-John-
x4

Do any of you like to Dogfight,good furball???

Post by -John- » Tue, 11. Apr 17, 15:48

As I have been on a quest for a Tiger;I forget, I like to fly fast agile fighters and love to get into a furball against like ships.
Guess as I got caught up in killing the Qs and larger; I got away from this. I just hated going into the Xenon sectors looking for a good time and could not last because of the larger ships abusing me,hahahhha.
Xenon are pretty much my only enemy as I concentrated being friendly with all the races,because I want good trade relations for my trade game.
I wish we could play several games or game starts and be able to jump back and forth. I would have my trade game and another just to enjoy fighting, maybe I would be a pirate or get into the war. I dont care for the war in my current game.
But,was curious if any of you like battles of this sort?
Best,
John

AleksMain
x3tc

Re: Do any of you like to Dogfight,good furball???

Post by AleksMain » Tue, 11. Apr 17, 16:22

-John- wrote:...
But,was curious if any of you like battles of this sort?
I recently restarted X3:AP as Savage Split and had completed many missions using Jaguar and then Kestrel. During 18 hours my pilot got about 18 million credits and then I found, that my Kestrel (M5) has not enough firepower for quick destruction of the Pirate Nova (M3), for example.

I bought Chimera (M3+) and now I use it.

My pilot after 20 hours of game has combat rank Professional and has possibility to obtain battle missions (Assassination, Defend Station) up to 500 thousands credits worth.

In my current game I had not used TS, TP or any other ships, except mentioned above.

Triaxx2
x4

Post by Triaxx2 » Tue, 11. Apr 17, 18:04

Speed is life. And the Pirate Kestrel can fire Remote Guided Warheads. Rip by a swarm of fighters, drop an RGW and hit the turbo booster? You haven't lived until you've seen that. Especially during a Xenon invasion the game falls over itself trying to show you the rewards as they roll in.

M3's, and Nova's in particular are much more irritating to deal with, but the Wasp Shotgun is your friend. Inside 800m the missile won't swarm, but will hit as a solid mass. It's beautiful.
A Pirate's Revenge Completed Now in PDF by _Zap_
APR Book 2: Best Served Cold Updated 8/5/2016

The Tale of Ea't s'Quid Completed

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Honved
x3tc

Post by Honved » Tue, 11. Apr 17, 18:26

I prefer to carry my personal M3 and M5 fighters aboard my capital ship. That way, I've got the choice of engaging Qs and other large hostile objects with equivalent or overwhelming firepower, yet can run missions and engage lighter forces in one of my fighters any time I choose.

Speed is life, except when there's nowhere to run, in which case it pays to bring lots of firepower to the party as a backup. An M3 is a good middle position between the extremes, and my "usual" ride, but I do like the option of being able to step laterally along the speed/firepower curve as the occasion arises. Now and then, ripping into a capital ship with another capital ship is a different kind of experience.

Sadly, the fact that it's not possible to do this in X:R was the main thing that stopped me from buying it. You've got one ship, and no options to go between trading massive fire with capital ships in one battle to dogfighting with light scouts in the next. I never liked M6 combat.

Nanook
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Re: Do any of you like to Dogfight,good furball???

Post by Nanook » Tue, 11. Apr 17, 19:56

-John- wrote:...
I wish we could play several games or game starts and be able to jump back and forth. ...
No reason you can't. There are plenty of save game slots to use for different starts. Only the autosaves and quicksave slot will be overwritten.
Have a great idea for the current or a future game? You can post it in the [L3+] Ideas forum.

X4 is a journey, not a destination. Have fun on your travels.

Triaxx2
x4

Post by Triaxx2 » Wed, 12. Apr 17, 03:58

And unless you're using Steam Cloud Saves, they're not hidden away, so you can move the saves in and out of a folder in the game save directory, and have all your files for all your saves without the potential of accidentally overwriting any.
A Pirate's Revenge Completed Now in PDF by _Zap_
APR Book 2: Best Served Cold Updated 8/5/2016

The Tale of Ea't s'Quid Completed

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Ripskar
x3ap

Post by Ripskar » Wed, 12. Apr 17, 17:32

8) Back when I doing X3R first time round I spent most of the time in the Scorpion Raider. Only Kh'aak could beat me.
TC and AP took us to capital ships too quickly IMHO though I tried to maintain touch with my inner dogfighter in TC, mostly flying the Sabre and Cutlass.
AP of course I started in an M6 so effectly missed the fighters altogether.

This time round (X3R) I'm after picking up my fighters fairly quickly.
Scorpion Raider again, Mamba Raider and Chimera as my commonwealth ships.
Split stand head and shoulders above the competition when it comes to ship building. I also rate the Caiman Hauler as my goto TS.

X2 and Reunion had the player work their way through the fighters, TC handed it to us on a plate and AP bypassed them altogether...
Do you miss dangerous pirates?
Try leading the target a little more...

ImageCobra Mk. III Cmdr.

Sirrobert
x3ap

Post by Sirrobert » Wed, 12. Apr 17, 23:42

I very much enjoy a good scrap, but even more satisfying is a good scrap in a solid M6
Especially with Litcube's Universe, the universe is much more dangerous, and actual massive fights break out regularly. It's amazing to fly between destroyers slugging it out, while hunting smaller things, and dropping missiles to help out your side.
9 out of 10 voices in my head say I'm crazy. The 10th is singing the music from Tetris

-John-
x4

Post by -John- » Thu, 13. Apr 17, 02:27

I love flying the Mamba,its a freakin good ship. You have to keep moving and strafe very much,sometimes backwards.
I have been thinkin of placing IBLs on it but I bet one or two salvos from them would deplete my energy. Would love to take on a Q and if I had the fire power and it wasnt going to take all day I would.
Good aim,
John

Ripskar
x3ap

Post by Ripskar » Thu, 13. Apr 17, 09:18

Dealing with capital ships is pretty easy, there's plenty of blind spots to sit in if you wnat to do it with guns or you can just launch anti-ship missiles (the only legit use of missiles IMHO)

ImageCobra Mk. III Cmdr.

AleksMain
x3tc

Post by AleksMain » Thu, 13. Apr 17, 15:07

-John- wrote:I love flying the Mamba,its a freakin good ship. You have to keep moving and strafe very much,sometimes backwards.
I have been thinkin of placing IBLs on it but I bet one or two salvos from them would deplete my energy. Would love to take on a Q and if I had the fire power and it wasnt going to take all day I would.
Mamba can not be used with IBLs, but Tiger can.

Also Mamba has not turrets for missile defense and can't outrun fast missiles, like Kestrel can, for example.

Each capital ship can ram small enemy ships like bugs, using strafe movement.

You can rotate ship to use Top or Bottom anti-fighter turrets, of course, too.

Honved
x3tc

Post by Honved » Thu, 13. Apr 17, 15:16

Unfortunately, most (not all) M3 class fighters simply don't have the weapon recharge rates to take down a Q without spamming tons missiles as well. The shields come back up just about as fast as your guns, so if you break off to let your own shields recover, or miss a couple of shots, it's back up to full shields.

The exception to that is if you can spam PBGs at close range from a blind spot, which can do damage to multiple hit locations simultaneously. HEPT is too energy inefficient, and even PAC has proven to be barely above the break-even mark (I barely managed that.....ONCE, without the assistance of fighter drones and using only two or three missiles, and don't care to ever repeat that experience). IREs have the energy efficiency, but I don't believe you can pack anywhere close to enough of them on an M3 to take down the shields faster than they regenerate.

A Q is a pretty tough piece of hardware, and normally takes at least an M6 to deal with it.

Ripskar
x3ap

Post by Ripskar » Thu, 13. Apr 17, 20:49

True with Mambas mosquito defence is a must have.

ImageCobra Mk. III Cmdr.

Sirrobert
x3ap

Post by Sirrobert » Thu, 13. Apr 17, 23:02

Mamba Raider has a back turret.
Half the max shielding, but a much stronger shield generator, so still better in a prolonged battle.
9 out of 10 voices in my head say I'm crazy. The 10th is singing the music from Tetris

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”