New Series of Doctor Who

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Usenko
x3

Post by Usenko » Wed, 26. Jul 17, 09:35

Graphil wrote:I thought they did a great job with the female master so I don't see why they can't pull it off with a female doctor too.
In terms of the character that's an easier sell, however. He/She's more the Chessmaster than the eccentric nut. I've seen women play the Master's kind of role before, but never the Doctor's.

Again, it's about scriptwriters. Do they have the courage to go there?
Morkonan wrote:What really happened isn't as exciting. Putin flexed his left thigh during his morning ride on a flying bear, right after beating fifty Judo blackbelts, which he does upon rising every morning. (Not that Putin sleeps, it's just that he doesn't want to make others feel inadequate.)

burger1
x3tc

Post by burger1 » Tue, 22. Aug 17, 11:02

Doctor Whos new companion Bradley Walsh? 57 year old game show host and Coronation Street actor.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/tv/2017/08/2 ... companion/

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Tue, 22. Aug 17, 13:30

I actually have some small hope that's a good sign. It seems unlikely they would shoehorn in some sort of romance between a 57-year-old man and a 35-year-old woman, even bearing in mind said 35-year-old woman is actually a 2000-year-old alien--it would be creepy as hell.

matthewfarmery
x3

Post by matthewfarmery » Tue, 22. Aug 17, 14:00

Not really sure I like the choice mind, but yeah,, get rid of the relationship thing between companion and the Doctor is probably will be a good thing. There been a bit too much oof that and is really does spoil things a bit.

I hope that the next season will be decent, but still, not really keen on the companion choice. (if it does turn out to be him)
=

Bishop149
x3

Post by Bishop149 » Tue, 22. Aug 17, 16:03

My immediate response is "WTF, oh no. . . . "

But then I had similar responses to Catherine Tate as a companion and Heath Ledger as The Joker, which both turned out rather well so I will reserve judgement.
"Shoot for the Moon. If you miss, you'll end up co-orbiting the Sun alongside Earth, living out your days alone in the void within sight of the lush, welcoming home you left behind." - XKCD

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Tue, 22. Aug 17, 16:52

Bradley Walsh has done serious stuff--he did several series of Law and Order: UK, for instance. You shouldn't judge his acting capabilities by the way he presents himself in quiz shows.

matthewfarmery
x3

Post by matthewfarmery » Tue, 22. Aug 17, 17:04

still not a fan of Catherine Tate, I still wasn't a real fan of her.

I guess because Bradley Walsh has done quiz shows, he is a bit of a turn off, and I just don't think of the chase in general.

I haven't seen him do serious stuff, i guess people will automatically see him in quiz shows and get turned off by him. still, I guess I will give him a chance, as long as he doesn't screw things up.
=

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Tue, 26. Dec 17, 21:33

OK, who's seen the Christmas special episode?
Spoiler
Show
Nice that the WW1 soldier they saved was an ancestor of Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart, although doesn't that mean that the Doctor was effectively messing directly with his own timeline, which I thought was a no-no? As for the ending, I get the feeling Steven Moffat is basically thumbing his nose at Chris Chibnall and saying, "OK, get her out of *that* situation, me bucko!".

Antilogic
x3tc

Post by Antilogic » Tue, 26. Dec 17, 23:44

Oh, Brilliant!

burger1
x3tc

Post by burger1 » Wed, 27. Dec 17, 00:02

You can watch the Doctor Who xmas special on bbc (Uk region locked) or space.ca (Canada region locked)

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b ... pon-a-time

https://www.space.ca/show/doctor-who/cl ... 8894/1832/

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Wed, 27. Dec 17, 09:39

Antilogic wrote:Oh, Brilliant!
Oh, agreed. Despite my minor nit-pick above, I think this episode was one of, if not *the*, best Capaldi episodes I've seen. If only he'd been able to hit those heights more often during his run we'd have been talking about him as an all-time classic.

[EDIT] Something cool just occurred to me:
Spoiler
Show
When the First Doctor realises who Capaldi is, he says, "I thought I would regenerate into someone younger?" Hartnell was only 58 when he left Doctor Who, while Capaldi is now 59, so Capaldi would indeed be older than the First Doctor was!

matthewfarmery
x3

Post by matthewfarmery » Wed, 27. Dec 17, 13:21

It was a good episode, but I think it had one major blooper
Spoiler
Show
the 12th doctor's TARDIS was taken by the ship, so the two doctors used the first Doctor's TARDIS to travel to the Dalek library, all fine there, but when did they go back to recover the TARDIS? because we then see both TARDIS in space, and they didn't go back to the ship to recover the second? its like they missed a scene there.
But I would say that was fine acting from Capaldi, and yes, it is a shame we didn't see that much, otherwise, I would have rated him a lot higher. But then again, the episode was written by Steven Moffat, so that probably had something to do with it.

Overall, great episode, hopefully the new season will be good as well. [/b]
=

Antilogic
x3tc

Post by Antilogic » Wed, 27. Dec 17, 13:58

Spoiler
Show
"Doctor... I let you go."

Very much a forth wall "Goodbye" from both Capaldi and Moffat (and I like him a lot, as do many people, despite the constant and very nasty vitriol on the internet). They had both loved the Doctor since they were kids and were both dying to do something with the show. Now it is done, the torch is passed.

Jodie, good luck :) I can't wait.

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Wed, 27. Dec 17, 14:12

I wonder if the characterisation of the First Doctor here was done with the handover from Capaldi to Jodie in mind?
Spoiler
Show
He seemed more...well...misogynistic than I remember him being from actual episodes he appeared in. Could be Moffat trying to get the people who insist the Doctor can't be a woman to look their own prejudices in the eye.

Antilogic
x3tc

Post by Antilogic » Wed, 27. Dec 17, 14:44

Spoiler
Show
Very possible. For me, having not seen much of the first doctors episodes, it was more of a good laugh - seeing 12 run around "no no no you mustn't say that" sort of thing and getting all embarrassed whenever 1 talked to Potts in a condescending or misogynistic manner.

That's a fair point to come across as well, we all have things in our pasts we are not proud of. Leaving them in the past and moving forward to improve ourselves today (somewhat literally in the Doctors case?) is important.

jlehtone
x4

Post by jlehtone » Wed, 27. Dec 17, 23:47

@pjknibbs:
Spoiler
Show
How well does the 12th / audience know the history of the Lethbridge-Stewart clan? Did we know, one way or the other?

"*that* situation" we had already after the first utterance of "Geronimo!". Well, almost but not quite. Repetition makes the master?
Enjoyable episode.

Did the old series have Christmas specials?

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Thu, 28. Dec 17, 08:57

matthewfarmery wrote:It was a good episode, but I think it had one major blooper
Thinking about it, I don't think that's a plot hole?
Spoiler
Show
By that time the Doctor had already acknowledged that Testimony aren't some evil organisation and had agreed to return the soldier to his Ypres shell hole, so they could have brought his TARDIS to him or he could have been allowed back aboard their ship to retrieve it--we just didn't need to *see* that.
@jlehtone: No, the old series didn't generally have Christmas specials--they weren't really a thing for drama programmes back in the 70s and 80s. As for your other question:
Spoiler
Show
We've met Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart's daughter--she's the Chief Scientific Officer for UNIT these days, and is played by Jemma Redgrave.

Bishop149
x3

Post by Bishop149 » Tue, 2. Jan 18, 11:28

Antilogic wrote:Oh, Brilliant!
Spoiler
Show
That was a well thought out line. I was so afraid that her first line would be some awful hackneyed reference to the new found possession of female body parts. Much as Capaldi's made reference to his being Scottish. :cry:

Edit: Oh I also just saw a take on this that the line is a reflection on the Dr being kinda "rewarded" for his eventual decision not to give up to death with a new experience. Which I must admit I kind like.
"Shoot for the Moon. If you miss, you'll end up co-orbiting the Sun alongside Earth, living out your days alone in the void within sight of the lush, welcoming home you left behind." - XKCD

Redvers Ganderpoke

Re: New Series of Doctor Who

Post by Redvers Ganderpoke » Thu, 5. Mar 20, 11:59

This topic seems to have disappeared, is it no one is watching any more?.
I know I stopped watch halfway through the awful dalek New Year's Day episode in 2019. My daughter has loved Doctor Who since it's restart and has watch the 9th to the 11th several times now. But we sat watching that New Year's Day episode and I asked her if she wanted to watch to the end. "No, turn it off", she said, "it isn't Doctor Who anymore." She's shown no interest in watching it since.
A flower?

pjknibbs
x4

Re: New Series of Doctor Who

Post by pjknibbs » Thu, 5. Mar 20, 12:10

I did try the first couple of episodes of Jodie Whittaker's first run, but it just didn't feel right--not because she's a woman, but because they seemed to be giving way too much screentime to people who aren't the Doctor. I mean, you expect the Doctor to have companions, but their main purpose in life is to be the audience's stand-in and ask the silly questions while the Doctor wipes their botties and fixes stuff for them, not to be main characters in their own right.

Return to “Off Topic English”