If you could have a proper Companion App...

General discussions about X Rebirth.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Alandauron
x4

If you could have a proper Companion App...

Post by Alandauron » Sun, 16. Apr 17, 08:24

What would you design if you had creative direction over the design of a proper companion app for X4?

Would the app be how you handle recruiting?

Would the app allow you to task trade ships?

What about something different...would you design an app that allows you to task Captains to command combat fleets?

Maybe you want something that simply allows you to monitor and show odd your achievements, bragging rights.

I'm just curious what kind of ideas people can come up with if there were to be a proper companion app for the upcoming X4 game. This is of course purely hypothetical and the team at Egosoft has not said anything about working on any sort of app to my knowledge, but just for fun.

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Sun, 16. Apr 17, 20:12

I am having trouble envisaging why you might want a separate app to show you types of information and/or UI that mainly sound as though they should/could be displayed or used within the game itself - if it uses its controls, screens & panels and any tutorial/tip mode effectively of course.

Surely easy-access online browsing of effective X4 wiki and gameplay tool sites (the latter for example for online economic and construction calculators etc) might be better usage of a second interactive display device, or at least until the player becomes more experienced? At least those *should* not need a continuous interactive link to each individual game situation in progress.

Also, who will maintain the synch of the app to the evolving and updated game release version? Remember, there was enough difficulty in even maintaining any form of relevant user manual before.

Perhaps I am just being gloomy and overthinking a hypothetical concept though ... :D
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

UniTrader
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by UniTrader » Sun, 16. Apr 17, 23:44

my personal idea for this would be to make them like additional (InGame)-Monitors (related to a previous suggestion of mine where you can equip the Ship with additional Monitors and each of them can display diffrent Information and may have some Interaction, pretty much like an MFD)
If Monitors like i suggested would be actually used the App for this might be itself pretty simple - just display the Contents created by the game and return the Input Coordinates back to it. not much actual logic required by the App (mostly to convert the vague touch inputs to exact input coordinates) and very likely to be stable over many Game Versions. But many nested <do_if/>s there, which also include a low chance=""
if not stated otherwise everything i post is licensed under WTFPL

Ich mache keine S&M-Auftragsarbeiten, aber wenn es fragen gibt wie man etwas umsetzen kann helfe ich gerne weiter ;)

I wont do Script&Mod Request work, but if there are questions how to do something i will GLaDly help ;)

Alandauron
x4

Post by Alandauron » Mon, 17. Apr 17, 00:11

@Alan Phipps, when I think of a companion app I think of something that can be used while not able to be in front of your main PC but you still have some time to kill. Something that you don't have to pay constant attention to and can just check in occasionally, make a few clicks, and then put away again.

I have some ideas myself but want to see if some others have their own first, plus I don't have a lot of time right now.

jkflipflop98
x4

Great idea!

Post by jkflipflop98 » Mon, 17. Apr 17, 10:07

This is actually quite an awesome idea! Normally these things are kind of gimmicks, but here it could work well. I would just have the app able to do a few "modes". The main use IMO would just be to replace your console panel. Everything that happens on that popup panel to the right would instead be on the tablet screen. The large buttons and selectors already lend themselves to a touch interface. Setting up trades, or hiring workers or browsing for missions. That could all be on a second screen (as it would be if you were really sitting in the cockpit) freeing the ship up to still be able to move and respond to threats.

Or you could set it up so all the "chatter" goes to the second screen to keep the ship's console screen free. Or vice versa - put the map on the second screen. Great idea. Hopefully it gets a solid implementation someday.

Meme Turtle

Post by Meme Turtle » Mon, 17. Apr 17, 11:02

Transferring data between a desktop app and a mobile app might be too much hassle, as not only it requires to develop an application in a completely new for Egosoft environment, but also make changes to the game such as enabling network connectivity to transfer data. Sure, given infinite time and resources I would like to see some external app to serve as an extension to in-game UI. For example, a separate app to handle game log, trade offers and react to some events.

What realistically could be made though, is a standalone mobile app with an interactive game map(like XRIM) or in-game wiki. In theory this app can be outsourced and even release before the main game similar to Fallout 4 Shelter app.

BigBANGtheory
x4

Post by BigBANGtheory » Mon, 17. Apr 17, 11:15

UniTrader wrote:my personal idea for this would be to make them like additional (InGame)-Monitors (related to a previous suggestion of mine where you can equip the Ship with additional Monitors and each of them can display diffrent Information and may have some Interaction, pretty much like an MFD)
If Monitors like i suggested would be actually used the App for this might be itself pretty simple - just display the Contents created by the game and return the Input Coordinates back to it. not much actual logic required by the App (mostly to convert the vague touch inputs to exact input coordinates) and very likely to be stable over many Game Versions. But many nested <do_if/>s there, which also include a low chance=""
Yes exactly, map the in game monitors to your physical monitors in effect so you could have something like the holomap or trade information permenantly displayed in seperate external monitors to you main game.

Inchínn
x4

Post by Inchínn » Sat, 29. Apr 17, 23:01

I like the idea of a companion app.
One caveat, wont this lead to a subscription of some sort in order to perpetually fund the infrastructure for this. Take any of EvE's apps, they all need to talk back to the main database which costs money to maintain and keep going.

That said, i really love leaving "X Rebirth builder 2" open while piloting as I can see all contructions clearly with their wants and needs at the click of a mouse, thus avoiding the torturous process of in game menu jumping.

If it was live that would be excellent. That however would likely need a database method for saving of game data instead of flat files and currently having to "load"each save game when I want the latest data.

UniTrader
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by UniTrader » Sat, 29. Apr 17, 23:58

Inchínn wrote:I like the idea of a companion app.
One caveat, wont this lead to a subscription of some sort in order to perpetually fund the infrastructure for this. Take any of EvE's apps, they all need to talk back to the main database which costs money to maintain and keep going.

That said, i really love leaving "X Rebirth builder 2" open while piloting as I can see all contructions clearly with their wants and needs at the click of a mouse, thus avoiding the torturous process of in game menu jumping.

If it was live that would be excellent. That however would likely need a database method for saving of game data instead of flat files and currently having to "load"each save game when I want the latest data.
for my Approach not reallly. it would possibly require a bit of config though (IP Addresses and Firewalls), but my idea was to connect the game via LAN/WLAN with the App, no external network/internet involved..
if not stated otherwise everything i post is licensed under WTFPL

Ich mache keine S&M-Auftragsarbeiten, aber wenn es fragen gibt wie man etwas umsetzen kann helfe ich gerne weiter ;)

I wont do Script&Mod Request work, but if there are questions how to do something i will GLaDly help ;)

hisazul
xr

Post by hisazul » Sun, 30. Apr 17, 10:39

I prefer no companion app. Why? Because my phone is 10 years old and I prefer playing an actual game instead of getting touched in all the wrong places because it's a cool thing to do atm.

Ugh

And now one more time in caps.

UGHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

I almost feel better :P
“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.” - Albert Einstein

Alandauron
x4

Post by Alandauron » Sun, 30. Apr 17, 17:00

hisazul wrote:I prefer no companion app. Why? Because my phone is 10 years old and I prefer playing an actual game instead of getting touched in all the wrong places because it's a cool thing to do atm.
Love the level of selfishness here, "My phone can't handle apps so no one else should get the shinies!" I feel for you, but that doesn't mean that you stomp all over something for everyone else lol. Is there an app that you would like to have? If not then awesome, but maybe a modding team will want to create a companion app, or maybe Ego has been considering but hasn't been able to come up with something they think is good enough to warrant the shift in resources.

Inchínn
x4

Post by Inchínn » Sun, 30. Apr 17, 17:57

Yes, perfect approach especially as it is a single player game.
Ive seen a few games that do this, Project Cars, Batteflied 4.
They all add value but have to also be something you can do without.

Having trade screens and galaxy mapping is what I would find useful.

Although I have 2 screens, i do remember Supreme Commander 2 allowing you to use the addition PC Screen as Fullscreen Map of the battlefield or a fully fledged game window.

An api of some sorts would need to be thoughht about by EgoSoft right from the start. No point haveing all that lovely data in game if yo cannot get to it!

@ Alandauron
Two negative comments dont make a positive one..Dont feed the trolls. They wither and die by themselves

Rice
x3tc

Post by Rice » Sun, 30. Apr 17, 19:18

Alandauron wrote:@Alan Phipps, when I think of a companion app I think of something that can be used while not able to be in front of your main PC but you still have some time to kill. Something that you don't have to pay constant attention to and can just check in occasionally, make a few clicks, and then put away again.

I have some ideas myself but want to see if some others have their own first, plus I don't have a lot of time right now.
Hmm you let run your Pc with a game running while going for XYZ( watching tv etc. so you can get some distraction togo?
But without the risk of losing stuff due Pirates / faction Warfare or what ever, guess i found a problem regarding the "small" idea which you has stated sofar.
OR is the idea to have a seperate game like Falloutshelters?

Like hisazul, personally i prefer to pass too, i prefer different stuff for distraction aswell while being "on go" and don't need to touch and get touched from a game while not being infront of the Pc . :lol:

As addition to declutter the actual gaming experience it sounds interesting -
heh may be even worth to run Bluestack to have the stuff outsourced as AndroidVM just for it on the 2nd pc screen while playing in Windowed mode.
Especially if i think about it ... Supreme Commanders 2 solution was still the best with just using the 2nd screen as optional Outsourced screenspace - optional to actiave in the Options! :D

but thats just the dream as Inchinn has already sayed the greatest problem would probably be to "outsource" stuff which wasn't designed with the idea from the start ( patchworks as from X1-X3 over the years )
[ external image ][ external image ][ external image ]
Eine der hoffnungsreichsten Lebenslagen ist die, wenn es uns so schlecht geht, dass es uns nicht mehr schlechter gehen kann. [Felix Krull]

Alandauron
x4

Post by Alandauron » Sun, 30. Apr 17, 20:15

@Inchinn, that does seem to be the popular concept for X Universe games, and you're correct so apologies I just hate those that think like that, especially when this is just a toying around/brainstorming topic.

@Rice, yea I never got around to making my posts because I have been swamped lately. Between work, remodeling a house so we can list it for sale, and classwork(on top of kids, wife, etc.) I just haven't had the free time I thought I would when I started the thread.

In general I was not referring to an app that was to be used while at the computer or even while running errands, but more geared toward those that have free time at work due to the nature of their job or even those that want to hop on during breaks and lunch for a quick fix. I agree wholeheartedly that it should not be an essential part of the game, or at least something you can't already do inside the game, but instead something that just allows you to connect to the game while not in front of your computer.

Concept 1: Trading Simulator - Gives you the ability to deal with all your trade deals from your mobile device, this could be used with the game running to prevent going into those screens or while away from your computer.

Concept 2: Strike Force - Similar to other apps out there where you deploy squads with a % chance of success but geared to fit more in the X Universe games. You can assemble a fleet and task them to go to X sector and perform combat related missions that will increase your standing with factions there as well as earn some credits. This fleet will be subject to all the standard risks of sending combat vessels through zones so doing this could end up losing you a fleet if not properly equipped.

To take it a bit further you would be able to have more detailed control over the fleet being able to command them to make repairs, dock/undock fighters, pursue & withdraw, etc. This would require a new "Fleet UI" screen where you can pull up each fleet individually so as not to get confused in regards to which ship is in which fleet. Some vital details would be visible next to each ship so you can quickly know which one(s) needs immediate attention instead of having to go into each ship's info screen to check each one.

Concept 3: General Status - Rather than giving something that requires attention, either while in front of your PC or through an app, a companion could be designed around just showing your status. Sometimes you just want to admire all your hard work and maybe plan your next steps. Maybe you just want to be able to show off your best works to friends easily. The app could be designed around giving number of stations, time it took to achieve current status, achievements accomplished, etc.

Something very important to making a companion app though is to make sure that the app is not required in conjunction with the game. There will always be people who have busy jobs that don't allow them any free time, they take their game time at their computer/console only and if they were punished for not having a companion app that would be no bueno. I like the option of being able to toy around with a simplistic app, especially when it's a new game that I am really enjoying but I can't take the time to actually sit down and play it.

Inchínn
x4

Post by Inchínn » Sun, 30. Apr 17, 22:45

I like Concept 1, but the server model has to be taken into consideration too. The updates would have to go to a server on www to change and then back from www to your game with the "on the go/offline" updates.

I see cost here. Servers, bandwidth etc

There is nothing to stop someone as of now just reading the save file you last left off and manipulating the variables to run an offline trader game, or affect your ship damage (simulated raider battles, or even turn based!!), there is enormity of freedom once you understand the save format.
That covers Concept 1,2 and 3!

As long as that save file is uploads (Local Lan\Wifi, when you return home) you just pick up where you left off.
Dropbox could also be used and avoid centralised server costs, maybe steam saves could be accessed too.

Now would be a golden time to prepare for X4 by throwing ideas at an xReunion App and giving it a go.

Im currently taking first steps into C++ / QT5 so would love to help once i get the hang of it :)

Veeshan
x3ap

Post by Veeshan » Mon, 1. May 17, 00:41

I don't really see how or why an offline game could utilize an app but one thing id love is a nice compact and ad free encyclopedia/wiki. Something with a sensible mobile layout, a bonus would be comment sections in each entry.

sd_jasper
x4

Post by sd_jasper » Mon, 1. May 17, 18:13

I really like how Fallout 4 added the "pipboy" app. This is just basically your menu system on your phone.

Being able to keep trade screens up, or the property window (to monitor ships) would be great.

The Q
Pancake Award Winner 2017

Post by The Q » Mon, 1. May 17, 20:44

Alandauron wrote:
hisazul wrote:I prefer no companion app. Why? Because my phone is 10 years old and I prefer playing an actual game instead of getting touched in all the wrong places because it's a cool thing to do atm.
Love the level of selfishness here, "My phone can't handle apps so no one else should get the shinies!" I feel for you, but that doesn't mean that you stomp all over something for everyone else lol.
Actually, if you reread hisazul's post, you will notice that he didn't say anything like that. He made it rather clear, by starting his sentences with the personal pronoun 'I', that this is his personal opinion. And after all, this is what a forum is all about: sharing personal opinions, which can be positive (i.e. are in favour of a suggestion) or negative (against it). :)
Veeshan wrote:I don't really see how or why an offline game could utilize an app but one thing id love is a nice compact and ad free encyclopedia/wiki. Something with a sensible mobile layout, a bonus would be comment sections in each entry.
There is already an X wiki utilizing Egosoft's confluence server. I can't really say anything about its mobile layout, but it can be edited by anyone and has the desired comment feature.

As for the initial question, I don't have a mobile device which I could use (smartphone is quite old and rather slow) nor did I ever use a mobile device while playing a game. Nevertheless, I can imagine that it can be quite useful seeing certain pieces of information on a separate device, especially if those are otherwise stored in sub menus, which are hard to reach. Personally, what I would really like to see though is a graphical representation of either the ship I'm sitting in and controlling right at the moment, the object which attacks me or the one I'm defending right now (or other interesting target objects). This view should give me additional graphical information about the status of that object and how it interacts with its environment. For example if I'm sitting in a ship's cockpit flying an attack run on a target (e.g. a capital ship) and I'm getting attacked, this app could show me on my mobile advice what kind of ships are attacking me, how far they are away, from which direction they are coming and what part of my ship they are aiming at. These are all information which I have access to, but for which I would have to open the map or a different menu, or turn my ship around to see them. But ideally I don't want to interrupt my attack run. Another example would be a station defend mission, during which I cannot fight enemies and always check which enemy is closest and the biggest threat to the station.
In any way, the information should be clear graphical presentations. I don't want to read texts. Also, and this may be clear to some, the app itself shouldn't be immersion breaking. That means its design and interface should be similar to what I have in my ship in the game.
Morkonan, Emperor of the Unaffiliated Territories of the Principality of OFF-TOPIC, wrote:I have come to answer your questions! The answers are "Yes" and "Probably" as well as "No" and "Maybe", but I'm not sure in which order they should be given.
xkcd: Duty calls

Nanook
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Nanook » Mon, 1. May 17, 21:30

The Q wrote:
Alandauron wrote:
Love the level of selfishness here, "My phone can't handle apps so no one else should get the shinies!" I feel for you, but that doesn't mean that you stomp all over something for everyone else lol.
Actually, if you reread hisazul's post, you will notice that he didn't say anything like that. He made it rather clear, by starting his sentences with the personal pronoun 'I', that this is his personal opinion. And after all, this is what a forum is all about: sharing personal opinions, which can be positive (i.e. are in favour of a suggestion) or negative (against it). :) ...
Exactly. Alandauron, personal attacks are not acceptable forum behaviour around here. Please refrain from such personal comments in the future.
Have a great idea for the current or a future game? You can post it in the [L3+] Ideas forum.

X4 is a journey, not a destination. Have fun on your travels.

Alandauron
x4

Post by Alandauron » Mon, 1. May 17, 23:07

Nanook wrote:Exactly. Alandauron, personal attacks are not acceptable forum behaviour around here. Please refrain from such personal comments in the future.
And I apologized for it in my next post.

Return to “X Rebirth Universe”