Aquaponics

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

philip_hughes
x3tc

Aquaponics

Post by philip_hughes » Sun, 23. Apr 17, 11:09

Thought I should start this thread.

Spent the day making a new aquaponic setup. Bought a builders tub for 25 bucks, some hardwood offcuts for 10, a bag of lime for 8 , some clean gravel and a few bolts. I estimate this project can cost about 50 bucks but could cost much less if you use a plastic garbage bin and pull apart an old palette. That would be about 20 bucks.

Oh and eat shish kebabs for dinner and have ice cream for dessert. That's very important.

I got some old ice cream containers, drilled holes in them and filled them with gravel. I took some kebab skewers, drilled holes in the top of the ice cream containers and pushed the skewers through. The skewers can be used to hang the containers on rails.

Then i made a frame around the builders tub, bolted wooden slats across the frame and hung the ice cream containers across the slats.

I can now fill this tub with water and the water will get into the ice cream containers via the holes. I'm hoping the pores in the gravel will create a wetting front an inch or so above the water line in the builders tub. If so that should be adequate hydration for a root system. I will do some experiments tonight to see where the water goes. This is important because i need to attach this to my other tanks via syphon hoses.

I plan to take photos and post them.
Split now give me death? Nah. Just give me your ship.

Usenko
x3

Post by Usenko » Sun, 23. Apr 17, 13:17

Heads up, the cops are hovering a chopper round your area, looking at a suspected Marijuana farm. ;)
Morkonan wrote:What really happened isn't as exciting. Putin flexed his left thigh during his morning ride on a flying bear, right after beating fifty Judo blackbelts, which he does upon rising every morning. (Not that Putin sleeps, it's just that he doesn't want to make others feel inadequate.)

philip_hughes
x3tc

Post by philip_hughes » Sun, 23. Apr 17, 14:05

I wouldn't be daft enough to put a crop like that in the open.

Actually i could probably get a permit from the university provided i have a good enough reason- which i don't.

greypanther
x3ap

Post by greypanther » Sun, 23. Apr 17, 19:38

Yes please to the photos. :)
I will be watching with interest.
Pray that there's intelligent life somewhere up in space
'Cause there's bugger all down here on Earth

mrbadger
x3tc

Post by mrbadger » Sun, 23. Apr 17, 20:11

greypanther wrote:Yes please to the photos. :)
I will be watching with interest.
Me too.

but it's totally a mary jane farm
If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared. ... Niccolò Machiavelli

philip_hughes
x3tc

Post by philip_hughes » Sun, 23. Apr 17, 23:26

Did some tests. The gravel i used was porous. The wetting front was more than an inch above the water line which means we are in business.

philip_hughes
x3tc

Post by philip_hughes » Mon, 24. Apr 17, 01:52

philip_hughes
x3tc

Post by philip_hughes » Tue, 25. Apr 17, 15:44

[ external image ]
Syphon hoses added. It works perfectly.

A little overfull after some rain but ok.[/img]
Last edited by philip_hughes on Tue, 25. Apr 17, 15:47, edited 2 times in total.

Usenko
x3

Post by Usenko » Tue, 25. Apr 17, 15:45

Mrs Phil probably wants her pizza knife back. ;)
Morkonan wrote:What really happened isn't as exciting. Putin flexed his left thigh during his morning ride on a flying bear, right after beating fifty Judo blackbelts, which he does upon rising every morning. (Not that Putin sleeps, it's just that he doesn't want to make others feel inadequate.)

philip_hughes
x3tc

Post by philip_hughes » Tue, 25. Apr 17, 15:48

Trying to resize the ×÷×÷ image.

Anyway, the syphon hoses work perfectly. Water equilibrates between the three tanks, 1cm in depth is now around 10 litres. That's massive redundancy in the system. You need to remove 10l to drop the water acm, or add 10l to raise it acm. This should come in handy.

The two tanks in the background contain 2 perfectly happy colonies of guppies. I will add more fish once this has settled.

greypanther
x3ap

Post by greypanther » Tue, 25. Apr 17, 16:09

A few stupid questions... :P

1: How are you syphoning between the tanks? Gravity?
2: How are you maintaining that equilibrium?
3: How many Guppies in each upper tank, do you intend to have in the end?
4: Do you intend any fish in the main tank?
5: How do the fish cope with the lack of light? ( They do not seem to be getting much. )
6: How will you cope with the algae build up? ( Scrape it I assume? )

That is it for now, I will probably come with more idiot questions soon! :)

Edit: It's no use; just what is the Pizza knife for? Surely you are not feeding the guppies pizza? I know there is an obsession with pizza on this forum, but that would be taking the piss!
Pray that there's intelligent life somewhere up in space
'Cause there's bugger all down here on Earth

philip_hughes
x3tc

Post by philip_hughes » Tue, 25. Apr 17, 17:10

1. Gravity. I spent some time leveling out the ground under the square tank and raising it to the correct height.
2. The syphon hoses ensure a constant head between all three tanks. The water level is the same in all.
3. 5 in one, a breeding pair in the other.
4. Yes.
5. This is australia. The sunlight is intense- that amount ofshade still results in huge amounts of light. Not only are the fish doing perfectly fine, there are aquatic plants growing happily in these light conditions.
6. Snails- although one of the tanks has a large algae issue atm. Too much light!

Edit- i cut the syphon hoses with the pizza knife.

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Tue, 25. Apr 17, 17:17

What are you going to grow in these?

Mightysword
x3tc

Post by Mightysword » Tue, 25. Apr 17, 17:19

philip_hughes wrote:I wouldn't be daft enough to put a crop like that in the open.

Actually i could probably get a permit from the university provided i have a good enough reason- which i don't.
Or you can just come to live where I am, it's legal.

philip_hughes
x3tc

Post by philip_hughes » Tue, 25. Apr 17, 17:22

Ill try lettuce first. It's currently autumn going on winter so it's the wrong time for most things. I will push on undeterred.

Ps i will also set the interior height of the syphon hoses. That means if one tank springs a leak, it won't drain all three.

philip_hughes
x3tc

Post by philip_hughes » Tue, 25. Apr 17, 17:28

Mightysword wrote:
philip_hughes wrote:I wouldn't be daft enough to put a crop like that in the open.

Or you can just come to live where I am, it's legal.
I will be at a conference in wageningen, netherlands in 2 months. I think it's legal there.

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Tue, 25. Apr 17, 17:32

philip_hughes wrote:...Ps i will also set the interior height of the syphon hoses. That means if one tank springs a leak, it won't drain all three.
You might be able to get a miniature float-valve at your local DIY store. Surely, you can pick one up at a local industrial supply house. They're really handy little things, especially industrial grade versions. That should more than adequately serve as a safety mechanism. You could also rig one to control a fill valve. Entirely mechanical, but if you're willing to supply a little voltage, you could really supercharge the whole setup with solenoid controls so it's fairly hands-free. Limited power drain in monitoring mode, too.

Depending upon the requirements, you might even be able to hook up solar power and solenoid controls, which would keep everything in proper equilibrium, replacing evaporated water as necessary. (Batteries not, necessarily, required unless you want the system to respond in an emergency at night.)

(There's a bunch of other automated stuffs you could do, depending on what your concerns are. Water quality, etc.)

philip_hughes
x3tc

Post by philip_hughes » Tue, 25. Apr 17, 17:42

Good idea (s).

I think I'll just look for an old toilet and grab the float from that. Re other monitering systems. ... i have spare solar panels sitting around and the guy in the next cubicle at work is an engineer who designs environmental monitoring equipment. I may have a chat with him.

If all the water quality can be linked back to ph and electrical conductivity that would make the monitoring very inexpensive.

And turbidity- a light monitor is all you need for that.

Mightysword
x3tc

Post by Mightysword » Tue, 25. Apr 17, 17:45

One thing to keep in mind that Aquaponic is a fantastic set up to grown green and leafy veggi, but some consideration is needed if you gonna grown fruit bearing stuffs in it (like tomatoes).

Fish's waste is mostly nitrogenous waste, which is good for root developing and promote healthy green grown, but I think it comes at the cost of growing fruit. At least by the time your fruit bearing plants (if you have them) start flowering you might want to balance the water out a little bit, or you may end up with really bushy plants but give small fruit.

philip_hughes
x3tc

Post by philip_hughes » Tue, 25. Apr 17, 17:47

Yes. I presume the oversupply of water would increase the risk of burst fruit. Definitely not trying that first!

Return to “Off Topic English”