TeshacK's ideas for the next X game

General discussions about X Rebirth.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

TeshacK
xr

TeshacK's ideas for the next X game

Post by TeshacK » Tue, 25. Apr 17, 17:58

Hello everyone,
I've been playing X Rebirth for some time (300 hours total) and I've got some ideas that accumulated in my mind during my playthroughs:

"Give me the list."

1. Player squad quick commands
You know there are the numbers 1 to 9 (and 0) on your keyboard, why not use them?
Let's use the already existing subordinates feature from X Rebirth.
- Player squad can have 9 group "leaders" (keyboard 1 to 9, 0 for everyone in player squad)
- Each leader has his subordinates
- Each command can be executed by pressing for example 2 - 1, this example orders group 2 to attack players target. (or Shift+2 - 1)
- Maybe let the player set the group numbers in My Property Menu

Commands list:
1. Attack my target: Selected group attacks currently targeted ship
2. Attack closest enemy: Selected group attacks a ship that is closest to selected group leader and hostile to player
- Each leader gets his own closest target
3. Battle stance: (refer to idea 2.) sets battle stance for selected group.
4. Retreat: Selected group ignores battle stance and tries to retreat. (capital ships can still shoot back if in range of an enemy)

- More Quick commands can be added by the Developers, these are just details of what this idea is.

2. Battle stances
Battle stances can improve the management of player fleet in combat.
These should work as a RTS player would expect them to work.

Passive: Ship does nothing when shot at, only takes direct orders from the player (Non-Player ships are never set to passive by default.
Defensive: Ship automatically shoots back when shot at and tries to destroy the attacker. It also defends other subordinates and its own leader when enemy shoots them. (Default for Non-Player traders and its subordinates)
Aggressive: Ship automatically attacks everything that is in a specific range - I don't want to write exact numbers here, better let Devs to set this number for gameplay balance

3. Construction Vessel Improvements
In the description of CVs it says that it uses it's own components to build the station, which leads me to think that i will lose the CV in the process of building a station.

I came up with more options on how to make the CV feature better.

1. Make it as it is now (one time use), only make it deconstruct itself after the station is built, magically transfering its crew and drones into the station. From then, the architect could continue his work inside the station.

2. Let the player unanchor the CV to build another station and if required, anchor it again in order to repair the station. (a mod exists for this feature so it can't be too hard to do)

4. Truly Modular Stations
This idea gives the CVs only one purpose - to build a Station Foundation

Station Foundation
- This is the most basic piece of a station
- Player can extend the foundation by building up to 3 modules (4 if you count the Radar module) of any type that already exist in X:Rebirth
- modules can be upgraded/extended
- Station Foundation should cost no resources if you plan to make CVs a one-time use (idea 3. part 1.)

5. Reasons to walk on a station/ship
- Gwent! - Just imagine a X themed card game with unique rules and X3, X:Rebirth themed cards. I would play that more than the actual game while my empire brings me billions of credits in the background. :D
- Optional FPS game when boarding a ship. AI can be dumb I don't care. It could only help the boarding a little, to not be too OP and unbalanced.
- Tons of NPC dialogue for lore fanatics
- That arcade console

Feel free to add to my ideas or discuss more X:Rebirth unfinished/missing features

mr.WHO
x4

Re: TeshacK's ideas for the next X game

Post by mr.WHO » Tue, 25. Apr 17, 18:31

TeshacK wrote: 5. Reasons to walk on a station/ship
- Gwent! - Just imagine a X themed card game with unique rules and X3, X:Rebirth themed cards. I would play that more than the actual game while my empire brings me billions of credits in the background. :D
- Optional FPS game when boarding a ship. AI can be dumb I don't care. It could only help the boarding a little, to not be too OP and unbalanced.
- Tons of NPC dialogue for lore fanatics
- That arcade console

Feel free to add to my ideas or discuss more X:Rebirth unfinished/missing features
Thou shall not mention nor desire any mini-games in Egosoft games, ever!

sd_jasper
x4

Post by sd_jasper » Tue, 25. Apr 17, 18:42

I don't mind mini-games if they fit in the game universe. Like the lock-picking mini-games many fantasy/medieval games have.

If the hacking/sabotage system was more like a lock-picking game (with a chance to get locked out or trigger an alarm on repeated failures), then I think I'd be more interested in doing it.

Just no timing mini-game ... and no requirement to speak the same lines of dialog over and over just to subscribe to trades!

TeshacK
xr

Post by TeshacK » Tue, 25. Apr 17, 19:01

mr.WHO wrote:Thou shall not mention nor desire any mini-games in Egosoft games, ever!
Oh I've totally forgot that TAF!, Show Skills and Black Market Seminars are not base game..
With these the smalltalk is not that bad. I actually like talking to people occasionally just for the little bits of lore. The problem is when minigames are forced for everything that is useful in gameplay. I don't mind hacking cause the minigame somewhat fits into hacking and without it would be boring to do.

Nanook
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Nanook » Tue, 25. Apr 17, 19:04

mr.WHO wrote:....
Thou shall not mention nor desire any mini-games in Egosoft games, ever!
Mini games are fine as long as they're not required. Remember blackjack from Reunion (or was it X2)? That was a fun diversion. Those arcade consoles on the stations would be great if they worked. Spend a few coins, maybe win a few coins or perhaps something special for your ship. :)
Have a great idea for the current or a future game? You can post it in the [L3+] Ideas forum.

X4 is a journey, not a destination. Have fun on your travels.

Nikola515
x4

Post by Nikola515 » Tue, 25. Apr 17, 19:07

I think main problem with mini games are that they are all the same..... For example i would love to see for hacking mini game to be simular to Bio Shock. Also i want to add that hacking stations is pointless do to short time of effect. For example hacking station production is too short to make any difference in economy. If i could sabotage station for 6h i could actually have monopoly over that product. Balance with hacking stations would actually give reason for players to dock and it would open new playstyle for players.
It's not world hunger because we can't feed poor,it's because there will never be enough to feed the rich .....

Commander_K
x4

Post by Commander_K » Tue, 25. Apr 17, 19:09

Stations:

-Don't allow jumps/duck.
-Make lootable locations (those crawlspacees/ducts) unique with unique rewards and different (unique) puzzles (instead of always using the lifter thingy).
-Replace black-marketeer with bartender that actually stands behind the bar. Instead of some random NPC or no NPC at at.

TeshacK
xr

Post by TeshacK » Tue, 25. Apr 17, 19:41

Commander_K wrote:-Replace black-marketeer with bartender that actually stands behind the bar. Instead of some random NPC or no NPC at at.
to add to this idea: a bartender that knows things - for a price.
- sells discouts for the station you are currently at.
- rarely sells you location of a lockbox.
- very very rarely sells you location of a abandoned ship that is rigged with tracker mines.

this can be a nice feature

Return to “X Rebirth Universe”