New PC

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

mrbadger
x3tc

Post by mrbadger » Sun, 30. Apr 17, 14:45

Observe wrote:
[EDIT]This video shows comparisons between various Nvidia GPU's. Frankly, I can barely discern the differences, but the readouts certainly show the performance advantage of 980Ti vs 1060.
That's very interesting. For me the takeaway is there is, except for the hardcore gamer, bugger all diffference between them. A far cry from those long gone Voodoo days /sigh.....

I bought a 1080 myself, but for three very specific reasons, none of which were comparative performance/frame rate based.

1: I needed to support three monitors easily.

2: I needed to future proof my rig because I won't be updating it again for many years.

3: I could afford it.

Without the above criteria I would most likely have gone for something a heck of a lot cheaper.
If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared. ... Niccolò Machiavelli

Observe
xr

Post by Observe » Sun, 30. Apr 17, 18:06

Based on excellent feedback in this thread and having researched current hardware a little deeper, it seems my indicated CybertronPC with Intel i7 and GTX 1060 might not be the best configuration.

However, since I decided to forgo building this time around, and the financing works for me, I think I'll take the risk on a CybertronPC prebuilt. The company gets good reviews, so hopefully I won't regret.

Granted, there may be little point in an i7 processor over an i5, but I'm going ahead with it anyway. I won't be overclocking, so I don't need the K version.

I suspect I'll end up kicking myself over the GTX 1060 but it will have to do for now. I'm only running in 1920x1080 resolution and I don't anticipate needing a new monitor any time soon. If I can achieve 60fps in the few games I play, I'll be happy on that front.

Certainly, this PC should be a vast improvement over my slow, failing 10-year old system. Alas, there is always more and better and there usually has to be a monetary line drawn somewhere. :)

Observe
xr

Post by Observe » Sun, 30. Apr 17, 19:23

This is the one at Walmart (of all places). It looks the same as the one you listed on Amazon. The one on Newegg has only 3GB on the video card as you pointed out.

There seems to be almost unlimited variations of the CybertronPC Palladium series. In retrospect, I would have selected with the i5 and GTX 1070, but oh well.

Thanks.

burger1
x3tc

Post by burger1 » Sun, 30. Apr 17, 19:43

Observe wrote:This is the one at Walmart (of all places). It looks the same as the one you listed on Amazon. The one on Newegg has only 3GB on the video card as you pointed out.

There seems to be almost unlimited variations of the CybertronPC Palladium series. In retrospect, I would have selected with the i5 and GTX 1070, but oh well.

Thanks.
I might have linked the wrong pc since I don't know exactly which one you bought. I would look up your order to be more certain. Also it might end up being a 6gb card anyways since that's what other sites seem to be.

jlehtone
x4

Post by jlehtone » Sun, 30. Apr 17, 22:00

Observe wrote:I won't be overclocking, so I don't need the K version.
I did follow that mantra with Sandy Bridge and got i7-2600. Ok, the 2600 had VT-d, the 2600K did not and I did wan't to play with VT-d. Less advertized fact, learned the hard way: chipset P67 had no support for VT-d. No way to use IGP either, but that was not a problem for my use ...

Never even considered the overclocking, so that part held true.

Return to “Off Topic English”