New X game anti-wishlist!! write here features you dont need in next X game

General discussions about X Rebirth.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

UniTrader
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by UniTrader » Wed, 31. May 17, 06:58

Baddieus wrote:There are obviously no speed limits, and the main reasons for any type of patrol in space are smugglers and pirates. Consider using silvery clean reflective(ish) ships that can be seen from a distance with the eye and/or show up with a special symbol on the radar to represent security patrols. Also, consider that they should fly by 2's like current military air patrol's do in our modern age, side-by-side with one on point and the other a wingman. They could have the ability to "hail" the player, and burst in on comm's if not responded to accordingly. Orders to stop your ship & prepare to be scanned instead of a fly-by would be legit in my opinion, and would add a touch of immersion having to actually stop & wait for this action to take place. The player could gain rank with the security in different sectors from someling like agitator, to cooperator, to known abider that on the higher levels would allow a dialog option when hailed to get out of being scanned. Mission options could require joining up and flying one of their patrol ships instead of your personal ship when accepted in main sectors, but using personal in the more sparse sectors..
Having to stop and interact each time the Police wants to Scan you would get annoying pretty quickly imo. Interaction requirement should stay as is where you only have to do something if you really have to act (like when catched with Illegal Goods)
if not stated otherwise everything i post is licensed under WTFPL

Ich mache keine S&M-Auftragsarbeiten, aber wenn es fragen gibt wie man etwas umsetzen kann helfe ich gerne weiter ;)

I wont do Script&Mod Request work, but if there are questions how to do something i will GLaDly help ;)

Nanook
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Nanook » Wed, 31. May 17, 18:54

UniTrader wrote:...
Having to stop and interact each time the Police wants to Scan you would get annoying pretty quickly imo....
Not if they didn't do it so damned often! Right now, it gets "annoying pretty quickly" with all the cops running around, sirens blaring, IMO. Decrease by an order of magnitude the number of cops and the amount of scanning and you have a much more believable atmosphere. Baddieus's suggestion would then be a positive addition to the immersion of the game, again IMO.
Have a great idea for the current or a future game? You can post it in the [L3+] Ideas forum.

X4 is a journey, not a destination. Have fun on your travels.

UniTrader
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by UniTrader » Wed, 31. May 17, 19:17

Nanook wrote:
Having to stop and interact each time the Police wants to Scan you would get annoying pretty quickly imo....
Not if they didn't do it so damned often! Right now, it gets "annoying pretty quickly" with all the cops running around, sirens blaring, IMO. Decrease by an order of magnitude the number of cops and the amount of scanning and you have a much more believable atmosphere. Baddieus's suggestion would then be a positive addition to the immersion of the game, again IMO.
as far as i know you can easily avoid Scans altogether by staying away about 5km from any masstraffic lane. but putting this aside for now:
so how often should Scans with Interaction requirement on average happen that it doesnt get annoying? every 10 minutes? probably still annoying. every hour or more rarely? why put it in in the first place?
What should happen if the Player currently manages his Empire and has something of intrest selected (meaning he is currently in some kind of Menu)? Force-Close the Menu for the Police Interaction? really annoying. Delay the Interaction until the Player is finished? un-immersive and has abuse potential (wait till police is gone when smuggling)

Ich mache keine S&M-Auftragsarbeiten, aber wenn es fragen gibt wie man etwas umsetzen kann helfe ich gerne weiter ;)

I wont do Script&Mod Request work, but if there are questions how to do something i will GLaDly help ;)

Nanook
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Nanook » Wed, 31. May 17, 19:57

UniTrader wrote:....
so how often should Scans with Interaction requirement on average happen that it doesnt get annoying? every 10 minutes? probably still annoying. every hour or more rarely? why put it in in the first place?...
Stop trying to schedule it. :P It should be random and infrequent, and probably based on your current rep with the locals. Right now, if a cop comes near you, you're almost certain to be scanned. And there are lot's of cops. And they're not all in mass traffic areas. Just getting close enough to scan those little 'i' icons can be a real pain!
What should happen if the Player currently manages his Empire and has something of intrest selected (meaning he is currently in some kind of Menu)? Force-Close the Menu for the Police Interaction? really annoying. Delay the Interaction until the Player is finished? un-immersive and has abuse potential (wait till police is gone when smuggling)
This is all stuff that can be worked out with a little thought. Shouldn't be an excuse for not trying to figure it out.

And for cripes sake, shut off those blasted sirens!! They should only be blaring when they're actually after you or someone else. Real cops don't drive around everywhere with their sirens on announcing their presence to everyone. IMO, the previous games did scanning right. You'd get a hail from a cop (military ship) and a notice that you're being scanned. They could and often did sneak up on you and attempt to scan you with menus open. We dealt with it then and we can deal with it here.
Have a great idea for the current or a future game? You can post it in the [L3+] Ideas forum.

X4 is a journey, not a destination. Have fun on your travels.

UniTrader
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by UniTrader » Wed, 31. May 17, 21:05

Nanook wrote:
UniTrader wrote:....
so how often should Scans with Interaction requirement on average happen that it doesnt get annoying? every 10 minutes? probably still annoying. every hour or more rarely? why put it in in the first place?...
Stop trying to schedule it. :P It should be random and infrequent, and probably based on your current rep with the locals. Right now, if a cop comes near you, you're almost certain to be scanned. And there are lot's of cops. And they're not all in mass traffic areas. Just getting close enough to scan those little 'i' icons can be a real pain!
What other metric than Average time between Scans (NOT exact timing/sheduling :roll: i never said it this way :roll: ) could be used to discuss Scan frequency? less than currently is a very vague expression... :roll:

Also the Police are all part of the Masstraffic. they originate there and they will return to it. ok, they stray away from it to Scan other Ships, but if you stay away from the mass traffic they wont go after you. And i just re-checked the Scripts - they search for Scan Targets in a 500m radius roughly in front of them, and with a line of sight. if these conditions dont apply they wont approach for Scan..

Nanook wrote:
This is all stuff that can be worked out with a little thought. Shouldn't be an excuse for not trying to figure it out.
yeah, let the devs figure it out - what could happen.. (hint: worst case is not that it doesnt get added, but that it gets added exactly as described without putting any further thought into it - in this case for example we woundnt have annoying scans every few seconds anymore, but even more annoying interactive events which close all open menus every few seconds) - so discussing the details and consequences of an idea is a good thing imo ;) (this includes pointing out even obvious flaws) - not only does it prevent more or less obvious failure modes, it also increases chances of getting actually added because its discussed (and therefore demanded#) but also it may already be pretty fleshed out when read by the Devs and practically ready to be directly added without need for further thought ;)

Santi
Moderator (DevNet)
Moderator (DevNet)
x4

Post by Santi » Wed, 31. May 17, 22:59

Something I noticed and was reported in the Public beta was an unusual amount of police being spammed by Stations, we are talking about lines of police small craft.

I am fine with the current system, and if you hear the sirens close up, then it is time to boost and leg it up if you are carrying something not kosher, otherwise you do not need to bother with it. But for things like hacking the huge amount of police makes it very difficult.
A por ellos que son pocos y cobardes

UniTrader
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by UniTrader » Wed, 31. May 17, 23:18

Santi wrote:Something I noticed and was reported in the Public beta was an unusual amount of police being spammed by Stations, we are talking about lines of police small craft
I had this once, too - when i built my very first Masstraffic Network. the related Station had no specific Masstraffic quotas defined, the only quota which applied to it was the cluster-wide Police Watchdog quota, amounting to 40 possible Ships. So the bug is actuallly probably not that the Police Ships appeared, but that there were no other Ships to fill the MTN...

Snafu_X3
x3tc

Post by Snafu_X3 » Thu, 1. Jun 17, 02:14

I can't remember (haven't played for a few months), but I don't remember a colour (ie warning) flag WRT illegal goods /pickup/ being implemented: the only way this is visible atm is thru the personal stocks screen - maybe this could be changed (for both internal & external pickup)?

This would allow new starters to prioritise risk/reward, & allow them to more easily dump contraband if scanned (unless they boost away ofc)
Wiki X:R 1st Tit capping
Wiki X3:TC vanilla: Guide to generic missions, Guide to finding & capping Aran
Never played AP; all X3 advice is based on vanilla+bonus pack TC or before: AP has not changed much WRT general advice.

I know how to spell teladiuminumiumium, I just don't know when to stop!

Dom (Wiki Moderator) 8-) DxDiag

Assailer
x4

Post by Assailer » Thu, 1. Jun 17, 05:57

Tiny zones packed with factories... try to be more like Elite:D, add some dimension.

Ketraar
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by Ketraar » Thu, 1. Jun 17, 21:17

Assailer wrote:Tiny zones packed with factories... try to be more like Elite:D, add some dimension.
You mean being boring and dull? No thanks, Space Trucker is fine and dandy, but I'd like my economy sim please.

MFG

Ketraar

spankahontis
x4

Post by spankahontis » Thu, 1. Jun 17, 23:16

UniTrader wrote:
Nanook wrote:
as far as i know you can easily avoid Scans altogether by staying away about 5km from any masstraffic lane. but putting this aside for now:
so how often should Scans with Interaction requirement on average happen that it doesnt get annoying? every 10 minutes? probably still annoying. every hour or more rarely? why put it in in the first place?

Not just that, you can casually fly to the nearest dock and land. This resets the police ship scan; undock and on your way without any repercussions.

UniTrader
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by UniTrader » Thu, 1. Jun 17, 23:24

spankahontis wrote:Not just that, you can casually fly to the nearest dock and land. This resets the police ship scan; undock and on your way without any repercussions.
there is actually even more to this than that: to perform a Scan the Police Ships need 10 Seconds line-of-sight so each time you break eye contact they basically have to restart the Scan ;) (they probably will still attempt to continue scanning you though, till they have their Scan results)

Nikola515
x4

Post by Nikola515 » Thu, 1. Jun 17, 23:46

Main problem with me and police is micromanaging small inventory. It is so easy to obtain illegal goods by accident and it is pain to go trough them and dump them all the time. Some pirate item to make police scanners obselite would be nice.
It's not world hunger because we can't feed poor,it's because there will never be enough to feed the rich .....

UniTrader
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by UniTrader » Thu, 1. Jun 17, 23:50

Nikola515 wrote:Main problem with police is micromanaging small inventory. It is so easy to obtain illegal goods by accident and it is pain to go trough them and dump them all the time. Some pirate item to make police scanners obselite would be nice.
so then there is practically no difference between Smuggling and regular Trade? then why include Ilegal Goods at all...

Counter-Suggestion: Include Functions to Drop Illegal Goods without need to look for them (and/or prevent collecting them at all) and/or give the Player an Option to play along with the Police to automatically drop Contraband if its found.

Nikola515
x4

Post by Nikola515 » Fri, 2. Jun 17, 02:49

With large trading we can always get licences so I don't have problems with that. But when it comes to players inventory that is part I don't like. For example Xenon component is easy to obtain(using tractor beam) and everyone will kill you for them. Perhaps they should have some storage system where we can store players items in stations or something where we can set up tractor beam not to pick up illegal goods ? It is somewhat overkill that everyone wants to kill you over bottle of Terran vine :P

This is one of many reasons why I build empire in DV and I don't need to worry about getting annoyed with cops. Also I want to add that player inventory trading is not worth later in game. It is useful only at beginning until we can afford first trading ship....
It's not world hunger because we can't feed poor,it's because there will never be enough to feed the rich .....

Return to “X Rebirth Universe”