Prey. Is anyone buying it?

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

matthewfarmery
x3

Post by matthewfarmery » Tue, 9. May 17, 14:00

Yes I did do an edit to mention that bug, as well as don't use quick saves either, as they can be corrupted. from one person on the steam forums has been contacted by support to say that a new patch is in the works, hopefully this week.

I think I will stop playing it until these bugs are fixed, very annoying to have some nasty bugs in the game.

I also don't understand why they withheld press copies, probably becauses this has nothing to do with the original game of the same name? and they thought it wasn't going to do well? who knows, the game is good if you like SS2, hopefully the devs will fix the annoying bugs.
=

clakclak
x3

Re: Prey. Is anyone buying it?

Post by clakclak » Tue, 9. May 17, 14:18

Jericho wrote:[...]
2) It looks clunky. The engine just looks chunky and not smooth enough for a FPS.[...]
Is it really the engine that is a fault here? Crysis did run pretty good using the CryEngine.
"The problem with gender is that it prescribes how we should be rather than recognizing how we are. Imagine how much happier we would be, how much freer to be our true individual selves, if we didn't have the weight of gender expectations." - Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie

matthewfarmery
x3

Post by matthewfarmery » Thu, 11. May 17, 15:50

Just a heads up, a new patch in the beta branch has been released, it fixes the save corrupting bug, (at least it seems to, but I was unable to load a save that has been damaged.

full patch notes
​​A new update for Prey (v0.5) is now available via Steam as a Beta update – see below for instructions.

The Steam beta update v0.5 includes:
​Fix to prevent Save games from becoming corrupted. Fix also returns corrupted Save games to uncorrupted state.
----->Also addresses some additional crashes on map loads.
Hacking during the Power Plant reboot no longer causes the reboot to fail to complete.
Fix to prevent the Player from becoming stuck in certain circumstances.
Nightmares will now always search for the player once spawned.
Saving and Loading PC settings will now save correctly for users with special characters in their Windows usernames.
Numerous fixes to GLOO to prevent breaking and bypassing collision, prevent corpses from passing through walls and floors.
Updated Recycling to prevent infinite material creation.
Fix for occasional combat freeze when attacking Phantoms
Kaspar’s objective indicator should no longer disappear.
Updates to audio mix to adjust volume of music, audio logs, cutscenes.
Note - The public-beta-patch branch shares the same game Saves as the default branch. If a previously corrupted Save is fixed by switching to the public-beta-patch branch, switching back to the default branch will reintroduce the chance of corruption (this issue to be fixed in a future patch). If a Save file has been previously edited manually, it may not function properly.
Deletion of level.dat files may cause game progression to not function properly.

If you run into issues or have questions please let us know in the Bethesda.net forums here: https://bethesda.net/community/category ... eta-update

How to access the Steam Beta:
​Log into Steam.
Right Click on Prey in your Library.
Select Properties.
Select Betas.
A drop down menu will appear. Select public-beta-patch.
Select OK.
Wait for the game to update.
When done, Prey[public-beta-patch] should appear in our Library.
If it still appears only as “Prey” in your Library, repeat the above steps.

Thanks for your support!
the items disappearing from the inventory is still been looked into, so not included yet. Hopefully more bug fixes will be incoming, as the game still has some annoying bugs to deal with.

It is a good game, hopefully once the game is a bit less buggy, it will truly shine.
=

Jericho
x2

Post by Jericho » Thu, 11. May 17, 16:07

matthewfarmery wrote:Just a heads up, a new patch in the beta branch has been released, it fixes the save corrupting bug, (at least it seems to, but I was unable to load a save that has been damaged.
There is a huge stink over at IGN as they gave it a 4/10 on PC due to being unable to continue the review thanks to broken saves.

The forums have gone mental, calling the reviewer various names, and saying that the console version has the same issues so why give it a 4/10?

Now Gamespot has given the PS4 version 6/10, so not really a grand release.

I've heard the combat is weak but the story is good... Yet gamespot are saying that the story is thin...

Sigh, can't justify full price. Think I'll wait until the winter nights draw in and I can play it in the dark. Not much point playing a dark scary game with sunlight streaming through the windows at 9:30 pm.
"I've got a bad feeling about this!" Harrison Ford, 5 times a year, trying to land his plane.

matthewfarmery
x3

Post by matthewfarmery » Thu, 11. May 17, 19:08

Both review sites simply can't be trusted, yet they both give high scores to the likes of skyrim which was shallow, most of the COD and battlefield games and many others which end up been lame.

The problem is, review sites like IGN end up been biased especailly when they show adverts of a said game.

I really wouldn't take those scores seriously. Yes the combat is a bit weak, but it's also very strong in the way that you can play, again, if you like system shock 2, this is a must buy, granted it will not appeal to everything. But anyway, giving the game a 4 simply due to a bug isn't right at all, hell skyrim had loads of bugs, even the PS3 version was broken on release.

If you read the steam forums, most are in favour of the game, whoever reviewed the game for IGN clearly didn't like the game, or isn't a SS2 fan. But really, I wouldn't take the review seriously.

edit
Drat, the save corrupting bug is still present, so its clearly not fixed. guess I'm going to have to put the game onhoad for a bit longer.
=

Jericho
x2

Post by Jericho » Fri, 12. May 17, 09:10

matthewfarmery wrote:Both review sites simply can't be trusted, yet they both give high scores to the likes of skyrim which was shallow, most of the COD and battlefield games and many others which end up been lame.
Oh come! Skyrim is a wonderful place to lose a few hundred hours in!

IGN gave the last CoD 7.7 which I think is fair as the game was a lot of fun (Although I'll never go and play it again).

But yes, they gave Advanced Warfare 9+ which is just ludicrous. It wasn't a great game.
"I've got a bad feeling about this!" Harrison Ford, 5 times a year, trying to land his plane.

Memnoch

Post by Memnoch » Fri, 12. May 17, 16:43

They were clearly bought and paid for there. The IGN homepage was really just a shop front for IW for a while. Shameful.

matthewfarmery
x3

Post by matthewfarmery » Fri, 12. May 17, 16:54

Jericho wrote:
matthewfarmery wrote:Both review sites simply can't be trusted, yet they both give high scores to the likes of skyrim which was shallow, most of the COD and battlefield games and many others which end up been lame.
Oh come! Skyrim is a wonderful place to lose a few hundred hours in!

IGN gave the last CoD 7.7 which I think is fair as the game was a lot of fun (Although I'll never go and play it again).

But yes, they gave Advanced Warfare 9+ which is just ludicrous. It wasn't a great game.
compared to morrowind, no, repetitive voices, limited dialogue choices, shallow quests, loads of bugs that never got fixed, (and needed fan patches to fix, and the devs never fixed the said bugs in the HD version, and IGN gave that a good score.

but that is for another topic, all I'm saying is, IGN simply can't be trusted with doing a good review, especailly when they have plastered adds for the latest games, so of course they don't want to piss of the said publisher, and get the adds removed, and loss of revenue.

Anyway, another update to the save corruption bug, the game has been updated to 1.2 in the main branch, (even though I didn't see the update) the good news is that the bug is partly fixed, the bad news, still still not fixed 100% and will crash on loading when saving in a certain area.

so the bug is still present. still, they also fixed a few other bugs, but still, this one major bug isn't fully fixed, but is a step in the right direction.
=

Return to “Off Topic English”