ESC - The same procedure as every year...

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

X2-Illuminatus
Moderator (Deutsch)
Moderator (Deutsch)
x4

ESC - The same procedure as every year...

Post by X2-Illuminatus » Sun, 14. May 17, 11:01

...at least for the German participant, who got glorious 6 points and ranked second last. (Well at least not the last place again. :roll: )

Congratulations to Portugal. While I cannot say that I like the song very much, I'm always a big fan of participants singing in their native language.
Moldova, Sweden and Hungary were my favourites, which at least were among the top ten.

Australia only ranking 9th place somewhat came as a surprise after the second place last year and the fifth place in 2015.
Nun verfügbar! X3: Farnham's Legacy - Ein neues Kapitel für einen alten Favoriten

Die komplette X-Roman-Reihe jetzt als Kindle E-Books! (Farnhams Legende, Nopileos, X3: Yoshiko, X3: Hüter der Tore, X3: Wächter der Erde)

Neuauflage der fünf X-Romane als Taschenbuch

The official X-novels Farnham's Legend, Nopileos, X3: Yoshiko as Kindle e-books!

Usenko
x3

Re: ESC - The same procedure as every year...

Post by Usenko » Sun, 14. May 17, 12:45

X2-Illuminatus wrote:...at least for the German participant, who got glorious 6 points and ranked second last. (Well at least not the last place again. :roll: )

Congratulations to Portugal. While I cannot say that I like the song very much, I'm always a big fan of participants singing in their native language.
Moldova, Sweden and Hungary were my favourites, which at least were among the top ten.

Australia only ranking 9th place somewhat came as a surprise after the second place last year and the fifth place in 2015.
According to the experts, apparently the streaker hurt our vote . . .

(Don't know why, streakers are normal at our sporting events. :) ).
Morkonan wrote:What really happened isn't as exciting. Putin flexed his left thigh during his morning ride on a flying bear, right after beating fifty Judo blackbelts, which he does upon rising every morning. (Not that Putin sleeps, it's just that he doesn't want to make others feel inadequate.)

matthewfarmery
x3

Post by matthewfarmery » Sun, 14. May 17, 12:46

I lost interest in this eurotrash a long time ago, especially when its now all about politics, and its been like this ever since.

I think its high time this redundant and outdated show gets axed.
=

greypanther
x3ap

Post by greypanther » Sun, 14. May 17, 13:52

Why is Australia even n the competition anyway? Bloody Australians turn up bloody everywhere! :P
Pray that there's intelligent life somewhere up in space
'Cause there's bugger all down here on Earth

Cpt.Jericho
x3tc

Post by Cpt.Jericho » Sun, 14. May 17, 14:06

Get Canada to join the Eurovision and GB may even have a chance to win the competition. :P

As for the streaker: Sadly, that was the only fun moment this year; for that alone Australia should be in the competition. :lol:

Calling the whole thing redundant is a bit near sighted, if you ask me. While it's certain that there is too much politics in it, it's happening in a peaceful way.
Football matches, on the other hand, are as political and often cause violent riots which cost the tax payers gadzillions. While the clubs and vastly overpayed players grab even more cash. ;)
Winner of 350 Mil class of X-Verse Fleet Fest Italiano
Boycotting Steam since 2003

Usenko
x3

Post by Usenko » Sun, 14. May 17, 15:52

You know, even Aussie Eurovision fans often ask "Why are we in this thing again?!"

But we don't mind, it's a bit of fun. :)

(Serious answer: After an Aussie proved popular for half-time entertainment a few years back, it was realised that there was enough interest here to be worth giving us a stake in the competition. Obviously it's about dollars. A technicality - the Special Broadcasting Service[1] is an associate member of the Eurovision Network, so it was ARGUABLE that the rules didn't forbid an Australian contestant. Since everyone could see the marketing potential, both Eurovision and the SBS have been quick to latch onto the technicality. :) ).

[1] SBS is an unusual TV station, which caters for the immigrant community. It features a lot of non-English speaking programs and items that are otherwise of interest to immigrants. Eurovision was originally televised as a taste of home for European immigrants, but somewhere along the line it became popular for Aussie-born people too. It's now SBS's biggest show of the year except for Soccer. :)
Morkonan wrote:What really happened isn't as exciting. Putin flexed his left thigh during his morning ride on a flying bear, right after beating fifty Judo blackbelts, which he does upon rising every morning. (Not that Putin sleeps, it's just that he doesn't want to make others feel inadequate.)

Ripskar
x3ap

Post by Ripskar » Sun, 14. May 17, 18:15

matthewfarmery wrote:I lost interest in this eurotrash a long time ago, especially when its now all about politics, and its been like this ever since.

I think its high time this redundant and outdated show gets axed.
When was it not about politics? The baseline concept was blatantly political, the 'vote for your neighbors' thing has been there pretty much the whole way. As such it is a reasonable barometer of relations between the various European countries.
Do you miss dangerous pirates?
Try leading the target a little more...

ImageCobra Mk. III Cmdr.

matthewfarmery
x3

Post by matthewfarmery » Sun, 14. May 17, 18:31

I would say ever since the UK got zero points, after the Iraq war, but I guess it was much earlier then that. Still, it was better in the old days, at least back then they would vote for the song, and not what been going on around them.

But yeah, its now love the neighbour besides you and little else.
=

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Sun, 14. May 17, 21:12

matthewfarmery wrote:I would say ever since the UK got zero points, after the Iraq war, but I guess it was much earlier then that.
You've watched the performance Jemini turned in back in 2003, right? It was *dreadful*. Frankly, it deserved nul points regardless of what was happening in the wider world at the time.

matthewfarmery
x3

Post by matthewfarmery » Sun, 14. May 17, 21:24

yeah that did deserve what it got, then again, I don't think many of the offerings have been that decent either, still the point remains, its just not about the songs anymore.
=

clakclak
x3

Post by clakclak » Sun, 14. May 17, 21:26

greypanther wrote:Why is Australia even n the competition anyway? Bloody Australians turn up bloody everywhere! :P
First ESC to get them used to beeing a part of Europe and than bäämmm congrats you are a member of the EU now. Now give dollarydoos.
"The problem with gender is that it prescribes how we should be rather than recognizing how we are. Imagine how much happier we would be, how much freer to be our true individual selves, if we didn't have the weight of gender expectations." - Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie

greypanther
x3ap

Post by greypanther » Sun, 14. May 17, 21:39

clakclak wrote: Now give dollarydoos.
:lol:
Careful now or you will set the local remoaner off! :P :wink: :roll:
Pray that there's intelligent life somewhere up in space
'Cause there's bugger all down here on Earth

Praefectus classis
x4

Post by Praefectus classis » Mon, 15. May 17, 14:48

When I first saw this thread I thought it was referring to the little key on the top left of the keyboard! :wink:

I listened to it on the radio while I was in the bath (not for all of the contest!). I thought the British entry was quite good this year.

I think next year they have little green men from Alpha Centuari taking part in the contest! :lol:
Reality is an illusion created by a lack of the X-universe
My new forum My original forum

Redvers Ganderpoke

Post by Redvers Ganderpoke » Mon, 15. May 17, 15:35

It was a bit sad that lot of the songs were in English. I think the next years UK song should be in one of the UK's non English languages.

(Welsh perhaps as they have a long tradition of long singing contests ;) )
A flower?

Chips
x4

Post by Chips » Mon, 15. May 17, 19:17

It wasn't as entertaining as last year (though I wasn't with my friends drinking this year - family commitments) and the hosts were pretty terrible (compared to last years amusing "Peace peace Love love" piss-take song done by the hosts).

Eurovision is about politics? There are a lot of points awarded by the public (equal to those awarded by the panels for each country) and as always - if you don't like it, don't watch it. It's not mandatory... so not sure why anyone cares tbh. It isn't about "winning" :P

I do miss Terry and his wit, though Graham Norton is probably the best replacement and will continue to grow into it.

clakclak
x3

Post by clakclak » Mon, 15. May 17, 22:18

I really don't get why Germany sends the same type of singer every year. Of course we loose it is boring compared to this.
"The problem with gender is that it prescribes how we should be rather than recognizing how we are. Imagine how much happier we would be, how much freer to be our true individual selves, if we didn't have the weight of gender expectations." - Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie

Len5

Post by Len5 » Tue, 16. May 17, 13:07

Only saw a few snippets. Saw a bit of the song of Portugal... Well if that guy won the rest must have been very, very bad.
One country even rhymed 'fly' with 'sky'. I guess that shows the level.

Usenko
x3

Post by Usenko » Tue, 16. May 17, 14:46

Len5 wrote:Only saw a few snippets. Saw a bit of the song of Portugal... Well if that guy won the rest must have been very, very bad.
One country even rhymed 'fly' with 'sky'. I guess that shows the level.
Erm . . I'm not exactly a poet laureate, but DOESN'T "Fly" rhyme almost exactly with "Sky"?

Len5

Post by Len5 » Tue, 16. May 17, 15:44

The point is that it's already been done in a million songs, if not more.
It wouldn't surprise me if one of the contestants sang: "Throw your hands in the air and ...". You know how it ends.

Return to “Off Topic English”