What’s the oldest game you’re playing?

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Mon, 15. May 17, 22:27

Usenko wrote:I LOVE THIS GAME!

However, I have never completely finished it - at some point I seem to get completely overrun by agents (usually halfway through the second island), and I don't generally know what I've done . . . .
IIRC, there's a fix for that, either a general strat or one that's included in that unofficial patch. Either way, Agent spam is an acknowledged issue due to something that is "fixable."

On Anno 1404 (Dawn of Discovery - Venice in the US) - I love that game... It's the perfect mix of relaxed play with moments of intensity.

There's also an unofficial patch for that which fixes some of the more problematic bugs and issues. The downside is that you end up getting more missions. But, without it, certain missions become problematic and they could stop, entirely. (Some sort of heartbeat/counter issue, IIRC.)

Still, it's a wonderful game, beautiful to see even after all this time, and with just the right amount of micro-management and economic strategy to satisfy my penchant for fiddly bits and open-world play.

AND, it doesn't require Origin/Uplay, unlike the later offerings.

For DK fans, just a note - This still seems to be progressing nicely - http://keeperrl.com/ I've been watching it, from time to time, and it's starting to build up an impressive array of options, critters, fiddly bits, etc, that can expand a pretty good bit further than other "Dungeon Keeper" knockoffs. It is sprite-based play, though, and may turn some off. But, I've learned that a good sprite-based game is still a good game, after all, so I'm more open to that than I used to be.

mrbadger
x3tc

Post by mrbadger » Tue, 16. May 17, 09:16

Praefectus classis wrote:... snip... Last year I played Ultima Underworld (1992) and System Shock (1994). I have got the originals but I purchased versions off GOG and Steam due to compatibility reasons with modern operating systems.

System Shock :o

Oh wow, now there's a classic game.....

I searched for ages to find that a few years back and gave it up as lost for ever :(

Wooo :)

Consider it bought :D
Last edited by mrbadger on Tue, 16. May 17, 09:19, edited 1 time in total.
If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared. ... Niccolò Machiavelli

muppetts
x3tc

Post by muppetts » Tue, 16. May 17, 09:19

Been dabbling in a little Far Cry 2004, mostly for the handgliding!
VURT The only Feathers to Fly With......

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Tue, 16. May 17, 10:30

mrbadger wrote: System Shock :o

Oh wow, now there's a classic game.....

I searched for ages to find that a few years back and gave it up as lost for ever :(

Wooo :)

Consider it bought :D
This might be of interest: System Shock 2018 (Reimagined)

Until then, there's always the community's "Remastered" texture packs pack for current versions: https://www.systemshock.org/index.php?topic=22.0 (For box original, only. For Gog/Steam, see here: https://www.systemshock.org/index.php?P ... topic=7116)

IOW - You can update your SS experience until the AAA reimagined title comes out in 2018. :)

mrbadger
x3tc

Post by mrbadger » Tue, 16. May 17, 12:21

I'll keep that bookmarked, but the original requires a replay. I've longed to replay it for so long.

I note it only re-appeared on Gog in 2015, that was after I'd given up hope of ever finding it.

I still play the Theif Series that share the same engine. Haven't touched the latest incarnation yet, not too sure about it, certainly not sure enough to pay full price.
If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared. ... Niccolò Machiavelli

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Tue, 16. May 17, 12:47

mrbadger wrote: I still play the Theif Series that share the same engine.
Thief and System Shock 2 shared an engine, but the original System Shock used an engine more akin to the one from Ultima Underworld.

mrbadger
x3tc

Post by mrbadger » Tue, 16. May 17, 15:11

Oh, I thought it was system Shock that used the same engine as Theif. Been a long time since I played it. I only read it, I never played the two side by side.

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Tue, 16. May 17, 17:05

You're probably thinking Thief is a bit older than it actually is. The release dates go:

System Shock: 1994
Thief: The Dark Project: 1998
System Shock 2: 1999

So, you can see that Thief and SS2 are in the same ballpark, but the original System Shock is four years earlier, using a different engine to the other two.

Nanook
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Nanook » Tue, 30. May 17, 22:15

MOO II. I recently bought the GOG version and got hooked all over again. It's amazing how fast time flies when playing this game. Can't stop clicking the END TURN button. :mrgreen:
Have a great idea for the current or a future game? You can post it in the [L3+] Ideas forum.

X4 is a journey, not a destination. Have fun on your travels.

mrbadger
x3tc

Post by mrbadger » Tue, 30. May 17, 22:34

pjknibbs wrote:You're probably thinking Thief is a bit older than it actually is. The release dates go:

System Shock: 1994
Thief: The Dark Project: 1998
System Shock 2: 1999

So, you can see that Thief and SS2 are in the same ballpark, but the original System Shock is four years earlier, using a different engine to the other two.
Most likely, but 1994 was the year I got my first real PC, I doubt I got to try System shock in that year. Chances are it was on a demo disc first.

Edit: bought System Shock from GoG today. Going to buy the reboot too, but not yet, not till it's been out for a while and all the kinks are out. I'm in no rush.

Return to “Off Topic English”