Is my router dying?

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Chips
x4

Post by Chips » Fri, 19. May 17, 01:02

I once had really weird results with speed tests, it was all over the place but always shocking.

In the end after using Virgin's forums to talk with an admin, they did a load of diagnostics. It sounded like balderdash - they said it was synching to a higher speed than could be kept stable, then automatically dropping the speed down until it was stable. Basically it was constantly going down to <1mb.

They limited my line to 7.5Mb down speed, and it was rock steady ever since.

That was... about 8 years ago ;) who knows.

korio
Moderator (Español)
Moderator (Español)
x4

Post by korio » Fri, 19. May 17, 11:52

My company recently changed to BT as network and Phone provider....

All i can say it's that they s*ck, the deployment was a nightmare, the support is a nightmare and doing even the most inocuous and little change you can imagine involves 3+ mails at support and a ton of information requests.

Regarding your connection issue, here in Spain we have a law that forces the internet providers to give you atleast one % (cant remember the exact number) of the conection you have paid for, dont know if you have any law like this one to force them to fix your issues.

Overall, dealing with inet providers it's a nightmare, so i hope you can fix it soon.

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Fri, 19. May 17, 12:40

Chips wrote:In the end after using Virgin's forums to talk with an admin, they did a load of diagnostics. It sounded like balderdash - they said it was synching to a higher speed than could be kept stable, then automatically dropping the speed down until it was stable. Basically it was constantly going down to <1mb.
That's actually exactly what happens. Through various conversations with engineers when I was having problems, they described the very much the same process. The noise on the line caused by the faulty card at the exchange end meant the router tried lower and lower speeds in an attempt to get a stable connection, and then eventually restarted the connection when even that failed. In your case I guess limiting the initial speed meant it didn't have to go through the process of finding a stable speed every time.

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Fri, 19. May 17, 15:10

I've had the same overdrive speed issues, where the modem keeps cycling, dropping, ramping up, like a police scanner looking for a signal somewhere.

In my case, there were two culprits. One was the internal wiring, which I ripped out and replaced. That "seemed" to fix the issue for awhile. But, then the board at the local street/block box got fried/wet/damaged and it started all over again. They came out and replaced parts in that box, but never replaced the whole thing. Periodically, they had to keep coming out and replacing boards as they all would develop faults about every six months or so.

They'd rather spend $100 twice a year, forever, and listen to customers complain, than spend $500 every five years and provide rock-solid connections through that street gang-box...

UniTrader
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by UniTrader » Fri, 19. May 17, 21:51

Morkonan wrote:They'd rather spend $100 twice a year, forever, and listen to customers complain, than spend $500 every five years and provide rock-solid connections through that street gang-box...
We have a nice saying for that here in Germany:
Sparen, koste es was es wolle
which roughly translates to:
save money, no matter the cost

also you may have the prices wrong.. could also be that the small replacement part costs 500 and replacing the thing as whole is about 10K, if not far more..
if not stated otherwise everything i post is licensed under WTFPL

Ich mache keine S&M-Auftragsarbeiten, aber wenn es fragen gibt wie man etwas umsetzen kann helfe ich gerne weiter ;)

I wont do Script&Mod Request work, but if there are questions how to do something i will GLaDly help ;)

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Sat, 20. May 17, 06:51

UniTrader wrote:...
also you may have the prices wrong.. could also be that the small replacement part costs 500 and replacing the thing as whole is about 10K, if not far more..
Not at their bulk rates and contracts. It's the largest provider in the Us. Their major costs for direct customer service issues are always labor-involved.

But, it's moot, really - Because they illegally "fix" territory so there is no competition and people have little or no other choices for cable services, they can virtually get away with whatever they want. And, when they get caught? They're given a slap on the wrist and everyone goes away, quietly...

Soon, hopefully, the infrastructure cost for physical cable will no longer be a huge issue, thanks to innovations in compression/signals tech with wifi services. Then, maybe, we'll have some freedom of choice for a change.

greypanther
x3ap

Post by greypanther » Sat, 20. May 17, 13:54

My speed is back up to the dizzy heights of 3.3 and seems to be stable for now. Maybe not my router after all. I think it is time I changed my ISP, even though it will probably not change anything, except for the fact I need to go fibre. I am told I can expect a whopping 17 if I do. Unless I risk the damage that Virgin may do...

I was too busy yesterday to phone BT and will leave it till Monday now, because the quality of customer service seems to be worse at weekend, in my experience.

Thanks again guys. :)
Pray that there's intelligent life somewhere up in space
'Cause there's bugger all down here on Earth

Chips
x4

Post by Chips » Sat, 20. May 17, 15:10

Oh, I should have said, I live in a different location at the moment to the previous.

The internet speed on arrival was around 1mb - something which irritated me massively (my home village had faster internet than a town!).
Did some checking, fibre was available, it estimated up to 80Mb speed. Luckily my boss was okay with me ordering BT's infinity, and now I get 78Mb; the cost would have been marginally more to get 38Mb but I went all in for 80Mb :D

Definitely worth seeing if fibre is available and the price. Our village got fibre years ago and we went from 4Mb up to 18-20Mb now (2 miles from exchange). Price increase was a few pounds a month more.

So definitely worth checking it out.

Return to “Off Topic English”