Unable to launch game (X3 TC)

Ask here if you experience technical problems with X³: Terran Conflict, X³: Albion Prelude or X³: Farnham's Legacy.

Moderators: timon37, Moderators for English X Forum

Skeet1983
x3tc

Unable to launch game (X3 TC)

Post by Skeet1983 » Sun, 21. May 17, 16:46

I just installed X3 TC from disc on Windows 10 (Creators Update). When I try to launch game, it says to insert X3 TC DVD, yet the DVD is already in drive. It then gives error "The application was unable to start correctly (0xc0000142). Click OK to close the application.". I have no game updates installed yet. Anyone experience this and or know a fix? Thoughts and help GREATLY appreciated :)

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Sun, 21. May 17, 17:15

Probably because you are trying to launch the game from the disk before updating it to remove the old TAGES disk protection codecs that will not work with OSs later than XP/Vista. A fully updated game after using the 1.0.1-3.2 patch (and then you can even apply the 3.2-3.3 patch for the latest version) will run quite happily in Win 7/8/10.

This is mentioned towards the start of the Common Problems and Resolutions Sticky on this forum..
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

Return to “X³: Terran Conflict / Albion Prelude / Farnham's Legacy - Technical Support”