Weird PC problem for your delectation

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

burger1
x3tc

Post by burger1 » Fri, 26. May 17, 12:26

Maybe clear your cmos with the jumper on the mainboard. Read the manual to see if there's any tricks to it since I don't remember.

Like another poster said if your settings aren't being saved maybe your mainboard battery is gone. They are pretty universal so if you have an old mainboard you could pop out the battery and try it.

Your mainboard may also have more than one bios so you can switch to the second one.

RegisterMe
x4

Post by RegisterMe » Fri, 26. May 17, 13:22

I've gone down the remove the CMOS battery route already so I think that's ruled out.

They keyboard I have is pretty long in the tooth now (and I am increasingly annoyed by Logitech's awful software and support) that I think replacing it is the right route to go down for now.
I can't breathe.

- George Floyd, 25th May 2020

red assassin
x3

Post by red assassin » Fri, 26. May 17, 18:30

RegisterMe wrote:The Corsair K70 - looks very "heavy". How is it to use? And what are both on about re O rings? :P
It's pretty solidly built - the frame is metal, and it weighs just over a kilo. You can get them with Cherry MX red or brown key switches - they're both light activation force; brown has a tactile click relatively (by mechanical keyboard standards) quietly on activation, while red is linear. I have red switches on mine, which are better for gaming on, but I have a mild preference for brown for typing.
(edit: apparently you can also get them with blue [properly clicky] or "speed" [like red but activate higher up the travel, so you don't have to press down as far before it activates] switches now...)

The keys hit the bottom of their travel fairly loudly if you hit them reasonably hard (on both the red and brown variants), which is quite noisy. felter and I are talking about adding rubber o-rings under the keycaps so when you press the key down, it hits the o-ring at the bottom of the travel, which is quieter. It's a little fiddly (you have to pop each key cap off and add the o-ring over the stem), but worth it if loud keyboards annoy you.
A still more glorious dawn awaits, not a sunrise, but a galaxy rise, a morning filled with 400 billion suns - the rising of the Milky Way

Nanook
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Nanook » Fri, 26. May 17, 20:04

RegisterMe wrote:...
The SteelSeries - how is that fat short space bar to use?
I like it, and the 'fatness' of it helps when playing WASD games, at least for me.
Have a great idea for the current or a future game? You can post it in the [L3+] Ideas forum.

X4 is a journey, not a destination. Have fun on your travels.

RegisterMe
x4

Post by RegisterMe » Fri, 26. May 17, 20:11

I'm left handed, I wonder would that make a difference.
I can't breathe.

Chips
x4

Post by Chips » Fri, 26. May 17, 21:41

Could just get a £5 keyboard to test your theory with :P I have an MS one I got just to plug into various Raspberry Pi's for initial setups where applicable. Perfectly good keyboard.

Mechanical ones are expensive, they require some force in comparison to a little office one - but I think I could dispatch large animals with a crack around the head, and still type up the email admitting my crime afterwards... However, they may not be for everyone. I wouldn't go back, but having said that, use normal keyboards at work. Find it much easier to type on my mechanical one but that may be my bias :D

However, I wouldn't spend north of £100 to test a theory.

Redvers Ganderpoke

Post by Redvers Ganderpoke » Sat, 27. May 17, 05:52

I've seen dodgy RAM do that sort of thing before.
A flower?

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Sat, 27. May 17, 10:07

Chips wrote:Could just get a £5 keyboard to test your theory with
Definitely this. You don't want to spend loads on a new keyboard only to find it doesn't actually fix the problem, and USB keyboards are cheap.

RegisterMe
x4

Post by RegisterMe » Sat, 27. May 17, 11:55

Agreed. And it will provide me with a "spare" should I end up deciding to get a "proper" one.
I can't breathe.

RegisterMe
x4

Post by RegisterMe » Tue, 6. Jun 17, 10:32

The cheap as chips keyboard arrived on Friday and I've not had a single problem since, so that's good news. Now I just need to figure out which "proper" keyboard to buy :).
I can't breathe.

birdtable
x4

Post by birdtable » Tue, 6. Jun 17, 11:15

Nice to get a cheap solution to a frustrating problem ,, as for a "proper" keyboard like beauty is very much in the eye of the beholder.
Would stick with the cheap one and remedy what faults you find with the "proper" one .... :)

Return to “Off Topic English”