The things we agree

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Ketraar
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

The things we agree

Post by Ketraar » Fri, 26. May 17, 03:01

In this time of alternative facts and the claickbait news, I wondered how is it that we can get to a point in near future where people can have a starting place as to what constitutes common ground. Does it exist at all?

So here I thought maybe we could do a different thing this time and list things that we know we agree on. And yes maybe there is always the one person that disagrees on anything, but I think these can be safely ignored. So I'll start with an easy one.

- The Earth is round.

MFG

Ketraar

Mightysword
x3tc

Re: The things we agree

Post by Mightysword » Fri, 26. May 17, 03:22

Ketraar wrote:
And yes maybe there is always the one person that disagrees on anything,
Let me be that person then ... :p

- The Earth is round.

MFG

Ketraar
It is not, it's an oblate spheroid. Nothing to do with alternate fact though, theory proposed by Newton and than later scientifically proven. :wink:

felter
xr

Post by felter » Fri, 26. May 17, 03:59

We are all born, we pay taxes and we die, the end
Florida Man Makes Announcement.
We live in a crazy world where winter heating has become a luxury item.

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Fri, 26. May 17, 04:15

Love is important and beneficial, so long as it isn't false, abused or self-destructive.

Altruism is, generally, a positive quality.

Empathy is a good thing - The ability to understand the emotions or mental state of another, even if incomplete, is a necessary quality for an intelligent species.

Tyranny in anything, or the suborning of the will of another to suit one's own desires, is wrong. If, however, it is done for the good of another, to prevent another from harming themselves through ignorance or happenstance, then temporarily exerting dominance isn't wrong, as long as one's motivations are in their best interest.

A desire to seek agreement, compromise or mutual benefit, even if it means one must alter one's own beliefs or opinion in favor of new, more valid, information is, in general, a good thing. However, doing this too often makes one appear flighty or insincere - One must have some sort of stable and personal value system.

The Earth is sort of roundish...

The Earth and, thus, the Universe, may not be entirely what it appears to be at first glance... (A stretch for some, I know. :) )

jlehtone
x4

Post by jlehtone » Fri, 26. May 17, 06:56

felter wrote:We are all born, we pay taxes and we die, the end
Do all [native tribes, shady characters] pay? Paying taxes is in the same category as Earth being round.

mrbadger
x3tc

Post by mrbadger » Fri, 26. May 17, 07:44

Trump doesn't pay Taxes....

And I'm certain oblate is just a made up word, you can't trust mathematicians. They get all smug because their proofs are true for eternity, the gits.....
If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared. ... Niccolò Machiavelli

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Fri, 26. May 17, 08:35

mrbadger wrote: And I'm certain oblate is just a made up word, you can't trust mathematicians.
If so, they made it up around 300 years ago, so I'd call it pretty much a fait accompli by now. :wink:

Jericho
x2

Post by Jericho » Fri, 26. May 17, 09:00

Ketraar wrote:
- The Earth is round.

They got to you too huh?

'Big Globe' must be stopped.

At the height of my globe addiction, I was spending $600 a day buying globes. Everyone knows that Big Globe is just a CIA/Illuminati plot to trick us into the believing the Earth is round so that they can... Er... So...

It's a conspiracy. We're not supposed to know their reasons.

I think we can all agree that Coke is better than Pepsi.
... Unless you work for 'Big Cola' of course.... Do you?
"I've got a bad feeling about this!" Harrison Ford, 5 times a year, trying to land his plane.

berth
x4

Post by berth » Fri, 26. May 17, 09:30

mrbadger wrote:Trump doesn't pay Taxes....

And I'm certain oblate is just a made up word, you can't trust mathematicians. They get all smug because their proofs are true for eternity, the gits.....
Following on from this, how about "the square root of two is an irrational number"?

(proof) :)

X2-Illuminatus
Moderator (Deutsch)
Moderator (Deutsch)
x4

Post by X2-Illuminatus » Fri, 26. May 17, 09:59

Jericho wrote:
Ketraar wrote:
- The Earth is round.

They got to you too huh?

'Big Globe' must be stopped.

At the height of my globe addiction, I was spending $600 a day buying globes. Everyone knows that Big Globe is just a CIA/Illuminati plot to trick us into the believing the Earth is round so that they can... Er... So...

It's a conspiracy. We're not supposed to know their reasons.
Even a flat disk is round. ;)
Nun verfügbar! X3: Farnham's Legacy - Ein neues Kapitel für einen alten Favoriten

Die komplette X-Roman-Reihe jetzt als Kindle E-Books! (Farnhams Legende, Nopileos, X3: Yoshiko, X3: Hüter der Tore, X3: Wächter der Erde)

Neuauflage der fünf X-Romane als Taschenbuch

The official X-novels Farnham's Legend, Nopileos, X3: Yoshiko as Kindle e-books!

Usenko
x3

Post by Usenko » Fri, 26. May 17, 10:48

This message is transmitted via the Internet, and I am living in Australia.
Morkonan wrote:What really happened isn't as exciting. Putin flexed his left thigh during his morning ride on a flying bear, right after beating fifty Judo blackbelts, which he does upon rising every morning. (Not that Putin sleeps, it's just that he doesn't want to make others feel inadequate.)

philip_hughes
x3tc

Post by philip_hughes » Fri, 26. May 17, 12:18

The Munsell color system projects onto an oblate spheroid. People run around on a field carrying an oblate spheroid. I have never seen the earth from a distance so i cannot comment on its shape. I do know that a lot of objects fall to earth and miss all the time.
Split now give me death? Nah. Just give me your ship.

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Fri, 26. May 17, 12:30

Jericho wrote: I think we can all agree that Coke is better than Pepsi.
Full fat? Definitely. Low calorie? Pepsi Max is better than any low calorie drink Coke produces.

Tracker001
x3tc

Post by Tracker001 » Fri, 26. May 17, 12:31

Usenko wrote:This message is transmitted via the Internet, and I am living in Australia.
That is where the Internet is and we all have internet . So we all really live on Australia , meanning we don't live on the planet Earth . We live on the planet Australia . Australia being rather flat means we don't live on something round or oblate but on a relitivly flat surface , with Drop Bears .

Ketraar
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by Ketraar » Fri, 26. May 17, 13:00

Well guess "round" means something different than I thought it would. Is a sphere not round too? If not, what do you call something that has no edges but has no (particular) geometrical shape?

Also I think I meant this much more serious than what people are taking it, in the sense that I am really curious if we have something we agree on on a large enough scale that can be defined as agreed, thus are fact.

Here other examples (and also a small rant):

- Black and white are NOT colours.
- There are no races in the human species.

MFG

Ketraar

berth
x4

Post by berth » Fri, 26. May 17, 13:17

Ketraar wrote:Well guess "round" means something different than I thought it would. Is a sphere not round too? If not, what do you call something that has no edges but has no (particular) geometrical shape?

Also I think I meant this much more serious than what people are taking it, in the sense that I am really curious if we have something we agree on on a large enough scale that can be defined as agreed, thus are fact.

Here other examples (and also a small rant):

- Black and white are NOT colours.
- There are no races in the human species.

MFG

Ketraar

A circle is round (2 dimensional object)

A sphere is...spherical! (3 dim object)

but I think we all knew what you meant :wink:

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Fri, 26. May 17, 13:58

Rationally speaking, we can all agree to disagree - except when we really want to have that argument of course!
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

Mightysword
x3tc

Post by Mightysword » Fri, 26. May 17, 15:12

Ketraar wrote:Well guess "round" means something different than I thought it would. Is a sphere not round too? If not, what do you call something that has no edges but has no (particular) geometrical shape?

Well I was being (half) serious, but it's a good example to show why it's hard to agree on something without dismissing the other as non-fact. In most case it's because one party believe something is so simple (in this case your presumed definition of "round") and thus that one party would think there is no other alternative way to look at that one true fact. Turn out not so simple when enough detail is looked at. Like they said, the devil is in the detail :wink:

Just like your example of Black and White are not colors, depend on who you ask really, an artist, a chemist, or a physicist. :p

RegisterMe
x4

Post by RegisterMe » Fri, 26. May 17, 16:31

Similarly the earth isn't a true sphere. Eg it's wider at the equator than it is north / south, and if you wanted to be pedantic it depends on your resolution, for instance mountain ranges / valleys.

You can't really have a conversation like this without ending up down a Betrand Russell rabbit hole :).
I can't breathe.

- George Floyd, 25th May 2020

brucewarren
x3tc

Post by brucewarren » Fri, 26. May 17, 16:38

Water is powerful wet stuff.

Return to “Off Topic English”