Upcoming games and E3

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Mightysword
x3tc

Post by Mightysword » Fri, 2. Jun 17, 04:24

Corbet wrote: But I still believe companies like Bethesda could push things forward greatly towards complex and ambitious games which I think they have not done. The series feels pretty stagnant. They could do anything with TES 6 and it would sell like crazy.
But ... do we want to? I know I don't. IMO this is a case where one should be careful about what you wish for. You can't have a cake and eat it too, when I buy an ElderScroll game I don't expect something like a Bioware game, neither I want it to be.

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Fri, 2. Jun 17, 07:08

Mightysword wrote:...
But ... do we want to? I know I don't. IMO this is a case where one should be careful about what you wish for. You can't have a cake and eat it too, when I buy an ElderScroll game I don't expect something like a Bioware game, neither I want it to be.
^^---- This.

Successful franchises don't want to change a lot. They don't mind adding things, as long as it's in a DLC pack or a bunch of shleps will pre-pay for a Season Pass, sight unseen...

What "innovation" did they do for Skyrim that was "safe?" They changed the leveling and difficulty system, almost to universal praise. That was pretty much it, except for the engine improvements.

It was safe. "Safe" changes are what established IPs do.

Corbet

Post by Corbet » Fri, 2. Jun 17, 07:41

Mightysword wrote:But ... do we want to? I know I don't. IMO this is a case where one should be careful about what you wish for.
Good point. Making big changes to game series could easily backfire and turn it something very different which fans wouldn't like. Making a new IP could be better option on these cases (just like Egosoft did with X Rebirth).
There are different types of complexity and in this case I was thinking more like making the world feel more living. Would you be against the idea that TES 6 would have for example big cities and villages, more depths on NPCs (24/7 life cycle, NPC having character traits, etc.)?

I'm interested to see if CDPR will continue pushing their games further. The Witcher series evolved nicely but TW3 is on the point that making games like that is very time consuming and expensive. I would like to see the living and breathing city in Cyberpunk 2077 and not cities like in GTA, TES, etc. In the other hand there is no urgent need for making cities "living and breathing" as more simpler ones seems to be enough, so investing lots of money for R&D could be too much to ask.

Well, my expectations for E3 is very low but I hope there will be some positive surprises.

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Fri, 2. Jun 17, 10:04

Morkonan wrote: Successful franchises don't want to change a lot. They don't mind adding things
TES has been going for more than 20 years, and I'd say that, if anything, they've been gradually *removing* stuff over that time period. There's certainly no way that Skyrim plays even remotely similarly to Daggerfall, and it's arguably less deep and interesting than Morrowind was.

Jericho
x2

Post by Jericho » Fri, 2. Jun 17, 13:26

BugMeister wrote:FarCry 5 looks like a very interesting project.. :lol:
Take your coat, and get out.

Now.

:P
"I've got a bad feeling about this!" Harrison Ford, 5 times a year, trying to land his plane.

Mightysword
x3tc

Post by Mightysword » Fri, 2. Jun 17, 14:21

Corbet wrote: There are different types of complexity and in this case I was thinking more like making the world feel more living. Would you be against the idea that TES 6 would have for example big cities and villages, more depths on NPCs (24/7 life cycle, NPC having character traits, etc.)?
Doesn't have to be TES 6, those are what they have been doing through out the series:

- The cities and villages have been getting bigger and more interesting with each iteration.
- Like wise, NPC have been getting more and more memorable. The easiest way to see this is to compare the NPCs you have in the guild quests. Morrowind they're essentially nobody quest giver, Oblivion they started having some personality, and in Skyrim they're truly feel like people with distinct personality (look at the Companions).
- They already add 24/7 circle (radiant AI) back in Oblivion, and further refined it in Skyrim.

So no, I'm not against it, and after all they have been doing all those, refinement and enhancement, not wholesale changing.
pjknibbs wrote: TES has been going for more than 20 years, and I'd say that, if anything, they've been gradually *removing* stuff over that time period. There's certainly no way that Skyrim plays even remotely similarly to Daggerfall, and it's arguably less deep and interesting than Morrowind was.
See above :) .

While I agree that some stuffs has been removed (the dirty word here is "streamlining"). But as state they have also been improving and adding stuffs. For example I find the crafting stuffs in Skyrim is more interesting and rewarding then any in the previous entries. There are always some aspect that was removed that someone will single out as precious to them and thus deem the new package is smaller than the previous. But IMO as a whole, the series has been seeing steady improvement.

Corbet

Post by Corbet » Fri, 2. Jun 17, 18:33

Mightysword wrote:Doesn't have to be TES 6, those are what they have been doing through out the series: ...
Well, there has been some improvements but I guess we can expect much bigger steps in TES 6; huge cities, interactive NPCs (with player and world) + simulation to make the world feel living, much less NPC "clones", no loading screens, etc.
At least to me world in Skyrim and in TES series overall feels totally dead and static and I hope that would finally change. I'm not huge fan of the series so my wishes could be something that would ruin the game for people who likes the game.

It will be interesting to see how far Bethesda is ready to go. Hopefully there will be something about TES 6 in E3.

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Sun, 4. Jun 17, 06:55

pjknibbs wrote:
Morkonan wrote: Successful franchises don't want to change a lot. They don't mind adding things
TES has been going for more than 20 years, and I'd say that, if anything, they've been gradually *removing* stuff over that time period. There's certainly no way that Skyrim plays even remotely similarly to Daggerfall, and it's arguably less deep and interesting than Morrowind was.
Very true. But, they did overhaul the engine since that time and that takes up a bit of room.

I don't think Skyrim is a total improvement over other versions, but it does have its nice points. It's still smaller and less colorful, in terms of content/stuff, than some of the other versions. But, at least there isn't a cookie-cutter Oblivion Gate staring at you from every turn in the road. :)

muppetts
x3tc

Post by muppetts » Sun, 4. Jun 17, 08:33

Would dig a 40K Space Marine Total War but we have Warhammer 2 coming with a bigger fantasy theme.
VURT The only Feathers to Fly With......

KristoferY

Post by KristoferY » Sun, 4. Jun 17, 20:06

mupepetts wrote:Would dig a 40K Space Marine Total War but we have Warhammer 2 coming with a bigger fantasy theme.
When's the release date for warhammer 2?
Last edited by KristoferY on Fri, 15. Oct 21, 22:43, edited 7 times in total.

clakclak
x3

Post by clakclak » Mon, 12. Jun 17, 21:11

BioWare's new game Anthem looks so good that I am 99.9% that it will not look like this in the final version: Anthem
"The problem with gender is that it prescribes how we should be rather than recognizing how we are. Imagine how much happier we would be, how much freer to be our true individual selves, if we didn't have the weight of gender expectations." - Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie

X2-Illuminatus
Moderator (Deutsch)
Moderator (Deutsch)
x4

Post by X2-Illuminatus » Mon, 12. Jun 17, 22:25

clakclak wrote:BioWare's new game Anthem looks so good that I am 99.9% that it will not look like this in the final version: Anthem
To be honest I feel the trailer is rather unimpressive. Don't get me wrong, it certainly looks nice. But trailers with nice graphics are quite common nowadays. And apart from that there wasn't anything breathtaking either. Open or semi-open world games are also in the quite common range, and what's presented in the trailer doesn't look that open to me. In fact, the way they are taking in the video looks like a predefined path with some splendor added along the way. Exosuits are also not suitable to draw anyone from the woodwork anymore. The video description of an action-rpg reminds of Mass Effect 2, whose RPG part was rather limited. So I'm not really sure what to expect here. That basically leaves the story, which once was the greatest part of a BioWare game. Unfortunately, the gameplay and reveal trailer doesn't tell us much. You play a freelancer in a dangerous world and protect humanity (or what's left of it?) living somewhere behind "the wall". The comparison to Destiny, even if the overall setting is different, is obvious. So all in all I feel it's somewhat disappointing.
Nun verfügbar! X3: Farnham's Legacy - Ein neues Kapitel für einen alten Favoriten

Die komplette X-Roman-Reihe jetzt als Kindle E-Books! (Farnhams Legende, Nopileos, X3: Yoshiko, X3: Hüter der Tore, X3: Wächter der Erde)

Neuauflage der fünf X-Romane als Taschenbuch

The official X-novels Farnham's Legend, Nopileos, X3: Yoshiko as Kindle e-books!

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Mon, 12. Jun 17, 22:32

It's a multiplayer-only game as I understand it, so any interest I might have had in it is gone right there.

Golden_Gonads
x3tc

Post by Golden_Gonads » Mon, 12. Jun 17, 23:53

A co-op game showing off a random quest (Save the workers = unleash a mortar and blow everyone up?) and what looked like the modern version of an Oblivion Gate at the end...

Mightysword
x3tc

Post by Mightysword » Tue, 13. Jun 17, 00:13

Not E3 related but ... I just splash down the money to upgrade my 4 years old rig, it will have 16GB Ram, the GTX 1060 6GB and a 250GB SSD. The current rig could only run my modded Skyrim at about 22-25 FPS max (don't laugh for me that's playable) and that is me staying away from the high texture spec or any fancy graphic mod (my current card is a GTX 650 Ti). I also recently discover the beauty of Ramdisk, so with 16GB Ram I can load all of the caches into my Ram while the rest will be on the SSD. Hopefully that will significant boost the performance.

I still enjoy these old games a lot and the only thing that made me stop playing them was I modded them to the point my old comp can not handle it any more. If I can get them running smoothly again, I ain't gonna need any new games in a while. :)

red assassin
x3

Post by red assassin » Tue, 13. Jun 17, 00:18

Beyond Good and Evil 2! Again!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EAYN08YoaV8
A still more glorious dawn awaits, not a sunrise, but a galaxy rise, a morning filled with 400 billion suns - the rising of the Milky Way

Jericho
x2

Post by Jericho » Tue, 13. Jun 17, 09:08

clakclak wrote:BioWare's new game Anthem looks so good that I am 99.9% that it will not look like this in the final version: Anthem
4-player co-op is not my thing. If you can solo it and have flashpoint areas to join temporary teams, then it might be fine.

I'm willing to try Destiny 2 on the PC, given how bad I am with a PS4 controller, the mouse/keyboard setup might make the game worthwhile for me.
"I've got a bad feeling about this!" Harrison Ford, 5 times a year, trying to land his plane.

clakclak
x3

Post by clakclak » Tue, 13. Jun 17, 22:11

I would like to point out that when I said it looks good, I did mean the grafics, in that it does look good from a grafics point of view. On everything else I am indifferent.
"The problem with gender is that it prescribes how we should be rather than recognizing how we are. Imagine how much happier we would be, how much freer to be our true individual selves, if we didn't have the weight of gender expectations." - Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie

X2-Illuminatus
Moderator (Deutsch)
Moderator (Deutsch)
x4

Post by X2-Illuminatus » Tue, 13. Jun 17, 23:27

Jericho wrote:
4-player co-op is not my thing. If you can solo it and have flashpoint areas to join temporary teams, then it might be fine.
According to the lead designer, Corey Gaspur, it can be played alone or with friends. See this tweet by him.

He also mentioned that the original ME team is working together on Anthem. So not all hope is lost.
Nun verfügbar! X3: Farnham's Legacy - Ein neues Kapitel für einen alten Favoriten

Die komplette X-Roman-Reihe jetzt als Kindle E-Books! (Farnhams Legende, Nopileos, X3: Yoshiko, X3: Hüter der Tore, X3: Wächter der Erde)

Neuauflage der fünf X-Romane als Taschenbuch

The official X-novels Farnham's Legend, Nopileos, X3: Yoshiko as Kindle e-books!

BugMeister
x4

Post by BugMeister » Wed, 14. Jun 17, 02:11

- the Xbox Gold thingy gives you access to loads of games for free..
- mine's still used mostly as a media centre, though.. controller skills just slightly above zilch.. with a remote, it's classy - the Xbox app works ultra-smooth from the PC

- and walking in and saying "Hey Cortana, Xbox on.." still cuts it with me.. :D :thumb_up:

- the Groove Music pass is the best thing going for home entertainment, there's tons of stuff.. cloud based as well, which is ace..
- the player itself is really swish, as it is a Windows10 based app.. amazing sound quality..
- Blu-Ray player, Kinect, 1TB storage - amazingly versatile piece of kit.. 8)

- and the windows mobile is definitely the closest thing to THGTTG out there

- big up for MS, they're doing amazing things.. :lol:
- the whole universe is running in BETA mode - we're working on it.. beep..!! :D :thumb_up:

Return to “Off Topic English”