Bethesda, Fallout, Elder Scrolls (Probably future spoilers)

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Jericho
x2

Bethesda, Fallout, Elder Scrolls (Probably future spoilers)

Post by Jericho » Tue, 6. Jun 17, 09:35

Potential vague spoilers below:

So, apparently, Bethesda will be talking about their new IP at E3, rather than a new Elder Scrolls 6 :cry:

Here's the kicker... All the Bethesda games take place in the same universe.

Fallout is the start of the universe
Starfield (Their new IP) is the middle
Elder Scrolls is the future when the world has really come to an end and restarted itself.

Apparently the Elderscrolls Nirnroot was created by the Brotherhood of Steel (I must have missed that reference)

I guess this would explain those 2 guys that voice every Bethesda game since Morrowind. They just keep pumping out baby boys that sound just like their dads.

I guess this also means that Elder Scrolls magic isn't really magic, but some nano-technology just like dozens of scifi novels over the years.
"I've got a bad feeling about this!" Harrison Ford, 5 times a year, trying to land his plane.

pjknibbs
x4

Re: Bethesda, Fallout, Elder Scrolls (Probably future spoilers)

Post by pjknibbs » Tue, 6. Jun 17, 13:18

Jericho wrote: Here's the kicker... All the Bethesda games take place in the same universe.
Um, what? Where did you hear that?

Mightysword
x3tc

Re: Bethesda, Fallout, Elder Scrolls (Probably future spoilers)

Post by Mightysword » Tue, 6. Jun 17, 13:40

Jericho wrote: Elder Scrolls is the future when the world has really come to an end and restarted itself.
Uhm, no? :lol:

Jericho
x2

Post by Jericho » Tue, 6. Jun 17, 13:46

4chan leak, allegedly from devs at Bethesda:
http://boards.4chan.org/v/thread/378744 ... esda-leaks

the leaker identifies himself as a leaker, which I guess is a job title at Bethsoft now? :roll:
"I've got a bad feeling about this!" Harrison Ford, 5 times a year, trying to land his plane.

Antilogic
x3tc

Post by Antilogic » Tue, 6. Jun 17, 13:55

Everything on 4 Chan is 190% true we all know that

Jericho
x2

Post by Jericho » Tue, 6. Jun 17, 14:07

Antilogic wrote:Everything on 4 Chan is 190% true we all know that
That's bull and you know it.

124% true at best.

Avis
x2

Post by Avis » Tue, 6. Jun 17, 14:31

Jericho wrote:

124% true at best.
Come off it! where are you getting your figures from? Diane Abbott?

Surely it's 3000% !!

UniTrader
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by UniTrader » Tue, 6. Jun 17, 16:13

Avis wrote:
Jericho wrote:

124% true at best.

Surely it's 3000% !!

actually its OVAH EIGHT THUÒUSAND!!!!

(come on, you all waited till someone made that joke :D :P )
if not stated otherwise everything i post is licensed under WTFPL

Ich mache keine S&M-Auftragsarbeiten, aber wenn es fragen gibt wie man etwas umsetzen kann helfe ich gerne weiter ;)

I wont do Script&Mod Request work, but if there are questions how to do something i will GLaDly help ;)

InFlamesForEver
x3tc

Post by InFlamesForEver » Tue, 6. Jun 17, 16:15

UniTrader wrote:
Avis wrote:
Jericho wrote:

124% true at best.

Surely it's 3000% !!

actually its OVAH EIGHT THUÒUSAND!!!!

(come on, you all waited till someone made that joke :D :P )
ITS OVER 9000!!!
In Flames We Trust
Listening to Whitechapel soothes the soul!! :D     ¹ ¤ ¹      But, the nuns are watching...
Samuel Creshal wrote:Keyboards: What separates the men from the boys.
XRM Trailer - XRM Installation Guide Video

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Tue, 6. Jun 17, 17:14

Yeah, I'm going to be taking that news with an elephant-sized pinch of salt until we get some reliable confirmation of it. If said confirmation arrives, well, I always considered that the Bethesda who made brilliant RPGs died out sometime around the time Oblivion started production, so it won't be all that disappointing. :twisted:

Jericho
x2

Post by Jericho » Mon, 12. Jun 17, 16:44

Well, that was disappointing.

Going to be a dry year.

Maybe time to expand my radar.

linolafett
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by linolafett » Mon, 12. Jun 17, 17:07

Does this fit into this topic?

Because Bethesda tries to bring it back, here we are again: Paid mods.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=XRkrascT_iM
01001100 01101001 01101110 01100101 01110011 00100000 01101111 01100110 00100000 01110100 01101001 01101101 01100101 01110011 00101110 00101110 00101110

My art stuff

clakclak
x3

Post by clakclak » Mon, 12. Jun 17, 17:09

Jericho wrote:Well, that was disappointing.

Going to be a dry year.

Maybe time to expand my radar.
Good something for you to lighten your mood. Release 1st of July 2017 (that makes 19 days from now) Truly a brilliant trailer.
"The problem with gender is that it prescribes how we should be rather than recognizing how we are. Imagine how much happier we would be, how much freer to be our true individual selves, if we didn't have the weight of gender expectations." - Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie

Jericho
x2

Post by Jericho » Mon, 12. Jun 17, 17:28

clakclak wrote:
Good something for you to lighten your mood. Release 1st of July 2017 (that makes 19 days from now) Truly a brilliant trailer.
I was half expecting to see Rick Astley :)

Yes, thanks for that. I read about that a couple of days ago, but I didn't realize that it was actually due for a release. I thought it was just another of the "Look at our great huge conversion mod!!!!" That never gets released.

clakclak
x3

Post by clakclak » Mon, 12. Jun 17, 17:36

Jericho wrote:
clakclak wrote:
I was half expecting to see Rick Astley :)

Yes, thanks for that. I read about that a couple of days ago, but I didn't realize that it was actually due for a release. I thought it was just another of the "Look at our great huge conversion mod!!!!" That never gets released.
As far as I understand it it actually is not a conversion in the sense that it doesn't replace anything else in the game. It just adds a big new area (which is set in the same timeline as skyrim).
"The problem with gender is that it prescribes how we should be rather than recognizing how we are. Imagine how much happier we would be, how much freer to be our true individual selves, if we didn't have the weight of gender expectations." - Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Mon, 12. Jun 17, 18:31

linolafett wrote:Does this fit into this topic?

Because Bethesda tries to bring it back, here we are again: Paid mods.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=XRkrascT_iM
Well, it was gonna happen, sooner or later.

The issue has always been one of stewardship. In the past epic-fail we saw with Bethesda and Steam, there was absolutely no stewardship and there was no attempt at authenticating ownership of intellectual property. So, people sold mods they didn't make, weapons that were broken or huge pieces of crap for ridiculous sums. Broken mods, crappy mods, stolen mods, etc..

In order to work, it has to be stewarded correctly. So, they're going to try to do that, I guess. That might work, but I think they're only scratching the surface on the capabilities modders will be able to access. For instance, with save-game compatibility apparently being a primary requirement, that means a great many options won't be available. (Unless Bethesda works with devs to go very deep into the engine.) Scripts added to saved game files and required to be running were/are a main culprit for save-game incompatibility/crashes. If they fix that, great. If they can't, then mods are going to be a lot less complex, which means that "free" mods may still be better in terms of content and gameplay than paid mods.

Jericho
x2

Post by Jericho » Tue, 13. Jun 17, 09:24

I have no issue with paid mods that work (i.e. the stewardship comment above). Some mods have clearly had many many many weeks of work put into them (the Skyrim seasons for example).

There will always be the free mods that we all use, this just give those very biggest ones a bit of a price tag, and therefore incentive to actually make them.

BUT!!!!!!

The method to actually apply the mods MUST change. The awful little "Data Files" option on the launch menu, where you check the boxes to apply the mods, where the launch order is often vital, yet not recorded, this has to change to a more friendly interface that actually does some conflict checking. It is a terrible interface that has lasted 10 years or more unchanged. To actually be paying for mods that use this, no no no.

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Tue, 13. Jun 17, 19:34

Jericho wrote:...
The method to actually apply the mods MUST change. The awful little "Data Files" option on the launch menu, where you check the boxes to apply the mods, where the launch order is often vital, yet not recorded, this has to change to a more friendly interface that actually does some conflict checking. It is a terrible interface that has lasted 10 years or more unchanged. To actually be paying for mods that use this, no no no.
By creating a partnership and a stewarded marketplace for modders, this might actually fix the problem with launchers, loaders, script launchers, etc, that have evolved to work around the major shortcomings of the title's default modding conventions.

In short, modders have looked to go beyond the basic modding that the mod system was originally designed to support. For instance, it's easy to create new weapons, new armor, new locations and stuff some game assets into them. It's difficult to do things that are much deeper than that. And, since some modders apparently enjoy stepping all over game assets they don't need or are just really not very good modders, other mods a player uses get effected, since they're looking for base game assets that may have just been coopted by another mod.

Want to wear a quiver that looks realistic? Gotta have an entirely new character rig for that... And, if another mod you have introduces a new character race with wings and changes the base biped rig to do so? Goodby quiver mod unless it's compatible..

BUT, with the devs working in concert with modders, they'll be able to insert a bit of discipline, gradually, by default, moving towards some sort of "standard" that helps shape how the modding community, as a whole, goes about fiddling with the mechanics of the game.

Eventually, I hope that they come up with a solution to modding conflicts that gives players a relatively easy push-button solution, but one that still allows for very complex, deep, mods.

Note: I really hope that Nexusmods people get to sit down at the table with all of these guys. Considering that Bethesda is going to have a pay model, it may be a pretty threatening thing for Nexusmods. The did have talks during the Bethesda/Steam fiasco that I though seemed pretty beneficial. I don't want to see Nexusmods kept out of those discussion, since it and ModDB are the go-to community resources right now. But, I think that we may also see mechanics that work to prevent "free mods" and hosts from being able to go as deep as the pay mods, simiply due to lockouts that serve to push pay-mod content, only... :/

Jericho
x2

Post by Jericho » Thu, 15. Jun 17, 09:16

I've used NexusMods for lots of games since about the time they first launched. I still don't find their modManagers to be that intuitive. And their website submission policy leaves a lot to be desired. People that release mods are seemingly allowed to just barf it onto their website, and have it dependent on Mod X, which depends on Mod Y, which depends on Mod Z, which was broken from patch 1.17.887763eeef01

The mod descriptions always assume that you are an expert in installing mods and know what every acronym means.

They need to instigate a few basic boxes to check before the mods can be released, or at least moderate a little. That said their ModManager is better than the default stuff fro Bethesda games, it just is a bit clunky with download locations and autoupdates (I haven't touched it in a year).

I used a lot of wonderful construction mods for Fallout4, but they were so horribly interlinked with each other, as soon as one changed, it all fell apart.

I perceived because I like my glass cities.

So, I'm the real hero here.

eladan
x4

Post by eladan » Thu, 15. Jun 17, 10:31

Jericho wrote:I've used NexusMods for lots of games since about the time they first launched. I still don't find their modManagers to be that intuitive. And their website submission policy leaves a lot to be desired. People that release mods are seemingly allowed to just barf it onto their website, and have it dependent on Mod X, which depends on Mod Y, which depends on Mod Z, which was broken from patch 1.17.887763eeef01
Yes, well that happens when you use assets from mod X which depends on assets from mod Y which depends on assets from mod Z. Copyright (and basic courtesy) forbids the solution of stripping the assets out of those mods and putting them in your own, therefore they need those mods.

Similarly, mods need assets from the game itself as a base, and when developers patch their games, they can change these assets causing issues with mods that are dependent on them.
The mod descriptions always assume that you are an expert in installing mods and know what every acronym means.
They could make it a bit easier, sure, but I'd argue that if you want to install more than a couple of minor mods, it's incumbent on you to understand exactly what you are doing and what might go wrong. A little research helps to understand the issues, and you'll pick up the acronyms soon enough.
They need to instigate a few basic boxes to check before the mods can be released, or at least moderate a little. That said their ModManager is better than the default stuff fro Bethesda games, it just is a bit clunky with download locations and autoupdates (I haven't touched it in a year).
What exactly is being asked by these checkboxes, and what stops them from checking them regardless?
I used a lot of wonderful construction mods for Fallout4, but they were so horribly interlinked with each other, as soon as one changed, it all fell apart.
And this is the reason that you need to do your research. This is not just a problem with Bethesda games. You will encounter it in any game you want to mod. It's just more commonly encountered with Bethesda games because they're typically modded far more than most other games. When two mods are trying to mod the same content, you'll get a problem, whether it's Fallout 4 or Albion Prelude.

Return to “Off Topic English”