X3:AP at position 6 in all-time best space games - RPG

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

mrbadger
x3tc

Post by mrbadger » Wed, 14. Jun 17, 09:05

I never really got into using mods, but for me X3 will always be the pinacle of the series.

The others were more technically advanced, and I know they had better features. Better features don't always make a better game though.

TC was fun because we finally got to see Earth ships, but once I got out of Earth space I never went back, because the collision avoidance AI wasn't good enough to handle the ship and station size, so that was a shame.

The others I essentially ignored after trying them a little. I always bought them, because I want to support Egosoft, including that awful Rebirth, but they have yet to really improve on X3, to my mind.

By now you really need to start asking can they still do it?
If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared. ... Niccolò Machiavelli

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Wed, 14. Jun 17, 19:49

mrbadger wrote:...TC was fun because we finally got to see Earth ships, but once I got out of Earth space I never went back, because the collision avoidance AI wasn't good enough to handle the ship and station size, so that was a shame.
This is a known issue, of course. But... it's beautiful in Terran Space, once things get going.

When I first started playing X3TC, I read the manual, realized that it was a waste of time, then ran off to the 'net to learn about the game. (And, I'm still here...)

I found out that my chosen start, Terran Commander, was gonna be rough, since Terran space was virtually doomed without the player acting to preserve it. So, I grabbed my notebook, sat down, and started single-handedly saving Terra. It was one of the most in-depth strategic planning I've done for a game.

Once I revitalized Terran space, saved everything, and started pushing trade to new limits, the sectors came alive. Stuff everywhere.. huge convoys of tradeships, Terran fleets and capital ships, hundreds of ships in a sector... glorious.

I didn't travel through those sectors a great deal, for obvious reasons, but when I did, I was always very proud to see the results of my efforts. And, seeing a Terran fleet on patrol was always a treat.

I only lost a few ships to collisions, mostly CS M5 trainers on their routes, since they have to dock, and some damage to a couple of traders, here and there, but nothing really severe. M5s, of course, have the worst of it, and then the much larger ships undocking upon purchase, but that's for any sector.
..The others I essentially ignored after trying them a little. I always bought them, because I want to support Egosoft, including that awful Rebirth, but they have yet to really improve on X3, to my mind.

By now you really need to start asking can they still do it?
I think they can.

Improve the engine, upgrade the graphics just a little bit, get someone else to design the UI.... (Seriously, I don't know what it is, and no offense meant, but I have yet to see anyone in the EU design a decent UI. Maybe a couple of the larger studios/producers, but certainly not commonplace, that's for sure. I don't know why. Possibly planning issues and evolving requirements?) Some more mission types or some sort of dynamic mission system that would, ocassionally, "build" a mission, inserting key elements from a list of variables or something, and several quest lines, some unique starts, the possibility for player-owned sectors/station takeovers (basically similar to existing mods), etc... Heck, I'm even fine with the pathfinding, to be honest, but options like Bounce and, perhaps, some finely tuned collision boxes for certain stations, etc..

They've made some great games in the X series. Rebirth is what it is, so I'll give it a pass, simply because some people have liked it.

But, a true X4 is what I think most fans want and if they stick to the X3TC model, perhaps with a few elements from AP and some "war" options for those so inclined, I think they'll do just fine.

Return to “Off Topic English”