What game should I play next?

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Which game should I play next?

X:Beyond the Frontier
3%
X-Tension
3%
X2: The Threat
3%
X3: Reunion
7%
X3: Terran Conflict
10%
X3: Albion Prelude
10%
Litcube's Universe
27%
X3 Rebalance Mod (XRM)
3%
X Rebirth
27%
Other
7%

Total votes: 30

Sinxar
x4

What game should I play next?

Post by Sinxar » Mon, 19. Jun 17, 14:43

Hey guys just wondering what your current opinion is. I fairly recently finished of a nice game of vanilla AP.

Talking to some new guys here really has me in the mood for a fresh start, but what game do you recommend?

I own all the X games so any of them is an option. If you feel strongly about one or more, feel free to let me know why!

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Mon, 19. Jun 17, 17:39

To a certain extent, you have already played the pinnacle vanilla X/X2/X3 game and so unless you are after a 'retro' feel (more profound the further back you go) you *might* be disappointed with some aspects of the gameplay.

If you want a totally different experience then you can try X Rebirth which is much improved since original release state and will to some extent set you up for a future X4 game release.

In terms of total game mods, there are those for X3 you listed and still others besides (BSG for one example). Each brings something new and different to the party and your gameplay style and preferences will dictate which you are most likely to enjoy.

You can surely afford to make copies of your vanilla game and using No-Steam exes you can try as many different mods as you care to make game copies for. (Only mod copies and not your Steam vanilla game.) Just remember to move your saves folder as necessary to prevent different mod save overwriting, or use mrbadger's excellent campaign manager.

Good luck!
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

Sinxar
x4

Post by Sinxar » Mon, 19. Jun 17, 17:42

Crap I thought I put X rebirth on there, i edited it a few times and must not have saved it.

Either way thanks for your input!

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Mon, 19. Jun 17, 17:44

Added Rebirth for you. :)
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

RAVEN.myst
x3tc

Post by RAVEN.myst » Mon, 19. Jun 17, 21:05

As you have (as already stated above) played the pinnacle, why not do what I do every year or two? I do a full-on start-to-finish playthrough, for a complete and continuous(ish) story feel. In your case, if you haven't played the previous titles, you would be filling in back-story too (I did that with X:BtF the first time I did such a complete tour), which will expand your understanding of the context. Furthermore, the earlier games (the first three [X:BtF, X2, X3R], mostly, in my opinion) are the richest in terms of story. Of course, such a tour would be a lengthy affair - but then again, you pretty much can't beat if for value-for-money, especially as you already own the whole lot.

(My personal favourites, I think, are X2 and X3TC+AP, with X3R close behind those. However, I have "voted" in accordance with my above recommendation ;) )
Last edited by RAVEN.myst on Tue, 20. Jun 17, 14:56, edited 1 time in total.
-
Boron passenger: "You must hurry - my testicles are drying out!"
-
Born on Lave, raised on Freeport 7...
-
The Write Stuff

Nanook
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Nanook » Mon, 19. Jun 17, 23:22

Note that X-Tension is the true X1 IMO, not X-BTF (I'd call X-BTF 'X0'). X-T introduced most of the gameplay elements that followed on in subsequent titles. It was a massive change from X-BTF (one ship, couldn't own capital ships, couldn't capture ships, rented fighters and freighters for your stations, etc.). The intro to X-T gives a good story as to why the player no longer flew the Shuttle, setting the stage for all the other games, too. I wouldn't skip X-T in a full playthrough, if I were the OP.
Have a great idea for the current or a future game? You can post it in the [L3+] Ideas forum.

X4 is a journey, not a destination. Have fun on your travels.

RainerPrem
x4

Re: What game should I play next?

Post by RainerPrem » Tue, 20. Jun 17, 06:06

Sinxar wrote:Hey guys just wondering what your current opinion is. I fairly recently finished of a nice game of vanilla AP.

Talking to some new guys here really has me in the mood for a fresh start, but what game do you recommend?

I own all the X games so any of them is an option. If you feel strongly about one or more, feel free to let me know why!
Hi,

at the moment I'm the only one suggesting you to familiarize yourself with AP more. If you really did only one game you might not have noticed half of the game features. Now you most likely know how to earn money, but not the whole experience.

If you played Argon you should at least play once as Terran and vice versa.

cu
Rainer

Sinxar
x4

Post by Sinxar » Tue, 20. Jun 17, 06:30

Nah i got several thousand hours across the X3 series, none in the earlier games (such as X-T) and only a bit in X:R. Played everything from humble merchant to bankrupt assassin to terran commander and savage split (in both TC and AP).

As example my last AP game I ended with 148 billion credits as usc commander. The game before that was Savage Split. My favorite start is Teladi Trafficker but Poisoned Paranid is a nice challenge.

birdtable
x4

Post by birdtable » Tue, 20. Jun 17, 09:31

I noticed also that the XTended Terran Conflict Mod is not on your list unless it is covered in "other" which in my opinion is a slight oversight.... many a happy hour spent ...
Youtube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DFo_J2qvsQE

[/url]

hisazul
xr

Post by hisazul » Thu, 22. Jun 17, 04:31

X BtF was the only X I didn't like... and it was my first time playing too. Ended up going meh and walking away till X-T... then... well... shit happened and I'm still bloody here. Tho I don't think I ever finished X-T before X2 came out... hmm... welp.

Anyhooo if you have Rebirth might wanna give that a spin, it's a very different experience while other X titles are all more or less just improving upon original and keeping the theme going. I remember I pre-ordered it with 0 interest in it... waited a year or something thinking it would be more or less functional at least and tried it... was actually a lot better then I thought it would be, even tho it's BtF 2.0. Anyway point is a put a pretty good amount of time into it, it was fun in it's own way. Just looked and steam says I put almost 900 hours into Rebirth... so much for my initial not going to play BtF reboot mindset back when Ego put up planned features and stuff.
“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.” - Albert Einstein

Sinxar
x4

Post by Sinxar » Sun, 25. Jun 17, 21:17

Thank all of you for your input!

Interesting tally on the poll, all but X-Tension got at least one vote. That was surprising to me. I expected Litcube's Universe to be the most recommended over everything.

We have a tie between LU and X Rebirth. As the person who this actually has an effect on, I choose X Rebirth.

[ external image ]

Honestly surprised XR tied with LU, considering the history of XR with the traditional X3 community. I guess it is finally time to give it a go. The reason I chose XR over LU is that I feel it is time for something different. LU will have to take a backseat for now, but don't worry i'll give that one a go as well, just not right now.
birdtable wrote:I noticed also that the XTended Terran Conflict Mod is not on your list unless it is covered in "other" which in my opinion is a slight oversight.... many a happy hour spent ...
I actually tried to get that before but at the time the download was broken. I tried to get it from other sources but none of them worked and I eventually gave up on it. Glad to see that was all sorted though. That is one of those mods that I really know nothing about. Perhaps it was an oversight, it honestly never crossed my mind when I made the poll.

Thanks again everyone! I guess I should bookmark the X Rebirth forum now as well!

TTD
x4

Post by TTD » Mon, 26. Jun 17, 16:43

As noted, although Rebirth is somewhat improved, it is a different style of gameplay to the classic X serries.

AP is the current pinnicle , excluding mods.

Talking of which, there are so many mods put there, that there is probably as good as an infinate supply classic X styles games to play..

I voted LU, simply because , to me, it is the only real alternative you listed.

But if you like the Rebirth style, then it can be absrbing.
Last edited by TTD on Mon, 26. Jun 17, 20:41, edited 2 times in total.

Nanook
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Nanook » Mon, 26. Jun 17, 19:14

Sinxar wrote:Thank all of you for your input!

Interesting tally on the poll, all but X-Tension got at least one vote....
Fixed. :wink:
Have a great idea for the current or a future game? You can post it in the [L3+] Ideas forum.

birdtable
x4

Post by birdtable » Mon, 26. Jun 17, 19:50

Sad to see .... just 22 votes... :(

Sinxar
x4

Post by Sinxar » Mon, 26. Jun 17, 19:58

birdtable wrote:Sad to see .... just 22 votes...:(
Much more than I was expecting tbh. the x3 forums are fairly inactive after all.

Already hit a snag, no idea what is happening at all.
(link to full size image)
http://i.imgur.com/30KlBXe.jpg

I should ask in the rebirth forum but I don't want to bother them if someone here happens to know what im supposed to be doing. I just went through a gate running from plutarch ships.

Nanook
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Nanook » Mon, 26. Jun 17, 22:13

Sinxar wrote:...
Already hit a snag, no idea what is happening at all.
(links to full size image)
http://i.imgur.com/30KlBXe.jpg

I should ask in the rebirth forum but I don't want to bother them if someone here happens to know what im supposed to be doing. I just went through a gate running from plutarch ships.
Seems you did that, too. Please confine Rebirth questions to the Rebirth forum. You won't be 'bothering them', since the 'them' is pretty much the same as the 'them' on this forum. We like to keep the cross pollination to a minimum so as to avoid confusion. :wink:

Sinxar
x4

Post by Sinxar » Mon, 26. Jun 17, 23:14

Nanook wrote:Please confine Rebirth questions to the Rebirth forum. We like to keep the cross pollination to a minimum so as to avoid confusion.
Alright.

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”