KENSHI .. Early Access

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

birdtable
x4

KENSHI .. Early Access

Post by birdtable » Wed, 21. Jun 17, 11:14

Came across a review of this RPG,,, looks different enough to be enjoyable,, any one had any experience of the game ...

clakclak
x3

Post by clakclak » Wed, 21. Jun 17, 11:51

It does look interesting. Trailer for everyone: https://youtu.be/2Zptw5WCb9M

Seems to be a few years old is this even the game you were talking about?
"The problem with gender is that it prescribes how we should be rather than recognizing how we are. Imagine how much happier we would be, how much freer to be our true individual selves, if we didn't have the weight of gender expectations." - Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie

RegisterMe
x4

Post by RegisterMe » Wed, 21. Jun 17, 11:56

It's been on Steam forever. I've looked at it occasionally but for one reason or another taken a step away.....
I can't breathe.

- George Floyd, 25th May 2020

Bishop149
x3

Post by Bishop149 » Wed, 21. Jun 17, 12:46

Funnily enough RPS did a review today

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2017/0 ... ly-access/

Sound interesting, but also like a complete mess.
"Shoot for the Moon. If you miss, you'll end up co-orbiting the Sun alongside Earth, living out your days alone in the void within sight of the lush, welcoming home you left behind." - XKCD

birdtable
x4

Post by birdtable » Wed, 21. Jun 17, 13:05

It was the RPS review that sparked my interest, it has been in early access for a few years with many changes ... Will wait to see if it appears on Steam Sale (22nd) otherwise think it could be worth the 12.99 gamble... the steam reviews seem pretty positive .... be nice to try something different.

Edit .... The devs have maintained a steady stream of updates.

Mightysword
x3tc

Post by Mightysword » Wed, 21. Jun 17, 20:14

I knew about this game since years ago, and while it does look interesting ... I don't know. I'm kinda skeptical about games that's in Early Access "this" long.

The only Early Access Game I have is Folktale, and that game has been in early access for 4 years. I got in because I like the gameplay and even though I only played for 2 hours, it was reassuring seeing the game was constanly updated ... until 2 months ago. The dev went from social superstars to vanished from the face of the earth.

Memnoch

Post by Memnoch » Wed, 21. Jun 17, 21:15

I had access to this waaay back before it was even on Steam. I think it was on Impulse.

Haven't touched it in years as it seemed to be taking forever to get anywhere.

birdtable
x4

Post by birdtable » Wed, 21. Jun 17, 21:34

From what info I can gather it is intended for release this year,, devs do appear genuine and involved plus all the recent (2017) you tubes considering Kenshi is pretty obscure have quite large audiences relatively speaking .. Hopefully a recent 2017 player will give some insight otherwise I think I will take a gamble... It does appear different from the usual dungeon slash.
@ clakclak ... Spot on, is indeed the game.. :)

ATTACK_HAMSTER
x3tc

Post by ATTACK_HAMSTER » Mon, 26. Jun 17, 13:46

birdtable wrote:Hopefully a recent 2017 player will give some insight otherwise I think I will take a gamble.
I bought it this weekend on sale, having been interested in it for what seems like donkeys years.

Already clocked a good 15 hours (already got my monies worth) and expect to get a good few more out of it. I have mainly been building up my small outpost and doing some rum making and trading to make cash, so I haven’t really scratched the surface of this game and I’m looking forward to playing it again.

If you do play, be warned the game is brutal and the UI isn't the best, and the time it takes to do anything does feel like a grind (Should be an X game :P) but one I oddly enjoy.

Hopefully the game can progress ( I believe it’s a small team) as it feels it could be diamond in the making.
You ain't getting me on no M3 Fool !

birdtable
x4

Post by birdtable » Mon, 26. Jun 17, 14:27

@ ATTACK_HAMSTER ... I also did buy the game and true enough after an hour or so quickly realised it was very different and yes quite brutal.
Started a practise run through on easy and was provided with a pack bull which after being caught thieving (myself not the bull) was set upon and beaten, I lay on the ground in the pretence of death regretfully the bull had not learnt this escape route and was beaten further... it also lay on the ground injured but required some time to recover ....
I am also just beginning to scratch the surface,,, realising that the quirkiness and depth requires an Autumn/Winter playthrough, will just practise some of it's intricacies ready to make what could be a long involvement during the long dark nights of winter.
A definite diamond in the making ... :)

ATTACK_HAMSTER
x3tc

Post by ATTACK_HAMSTER » Tue, 27. Jun 17, 11:57

Nothing like having your pack animal accused of theft and then being beaten for it :P

I'm concentrating on base building in this play through, but i like the idea of trying a bit of thievery, especially as i have found a few locations where there seems to be few eyes and lots of goods ready to pilfer.

Currently on day 50, with my community named Rockingham, they are a hardy bunch who produce rum as quickly as my trader can carry it off to be sold. I have 10 ruffians under my control and after a little micromanagement they are all performing well being fully automated. My farms are secure behind concrete walls so combat is few and far between, so it's proving difficult to get my fighters skills up, i have however built a gladiators arena of sorts in which i have press ganged some slaves to fight with my soldiers to get their training up, there is a downside to it though, i'm going through medicine at a rate of knots to heal up my slave fighters.

Tips i have discovered so far include the following:

• At low levels only kit your people out in light armour, heavy has a massive negative effect

• If you need to sell goods from your base, use the fastest runner you have and equip him with a traders back pack, this is a handy pack as it can reduce the weight carried if you stack it well within the bag.

• If you want to increase your strength i believe over burdening your people in heavy gear or cargo whilst they go about their daily routine will increase it, albeit very slowly.

• Using light weapons increases dexterity skill (i think)

• Rum makes the mooolah! (I haven't tried to produce other booze as i built in a good damn dessert so can only grow cactus and wheat)

• Reducing view distance and shadow quality helps with frame rates if you have to switch from characters on the other side of the map

If you have any tips Birdy i'm all ears, as i have found trying to find any help on the net quite difficult.
You ain't getting me on no M3 Fool !

birdtable
x4

Post by birdtable » Wed, 28. Jun 17, 20:46

Well it has taken a long time to sink in ... do not take risks, spent to much time in recovery coma.. Finally made into day 5,,,
Did a lot of exploration/prospecting but spent more time getting beaten up for thieving ,,I have seen the light, copper mining while I get some funds the honest way....carried a lot of heavy copper so a bit tougher,,
Trying to find the perfect base area... copper, stone, carbon, water and fertility but no rush ..... Had a few graphical glitches which can be frustrating,,, got some catching up to do .... :)

Rice
x3tc

Post by Rice » Mon, 3. Jul 17, 18:17

that will do that will do, lived through the change to the worldmap. enjoyed the nice enviroment, getting beaten in a real river. enjoyed hide n seek with a pack of bandits in the verysame river. builded up a town with 4 full squads. deleted the game for the HDDspace and YOU!
YOU has brought me back to the interest to see whats changed from 0.7x till now 0.96.x :lol:
[ external image ][ external image ][ external image ]
Eine der hoffnungsreichsten Lebenslagen ist die, wenn es uns so schlecht geht, dass es uns nicht mehr schlechter gehen kann. [Felix Krull]

birdtable
x4

Post by birdtable » Mon, 3. Jul 17, 19:26

:) ..... :roll:

SepticTooth
x4

Post by SepticTooth » Wed, 5. Jul 17, 19:35

I bought this game a couple years ago after seeing it a few times and being curious enough to try it out, it was very rough but still had its own charm so I never really regretted the purchase but haven't played it much since then.

The main reason it has been in Early Access for as long as it has is because it was being made by a single individual, I think since I played he's invested some of the proceeds into hiring others to help with development, specifically I believe sound was one of the main things he hired out for (it didn't have any when I first played it besides maybe some simple combat noises).

I distinctly remember listening to The Nomad by Iron Maiden while running around the sand dunes prior to more audio being added.

birdtable
x4

Post by birdtable » Wed, 5. Jul 17, 20:43

@ SepticTooth ,,,, Well it is still a little rough around the edges, the map has been enlarged.... but its uniqueness is a big attraction... Still frustrating on times and challenging .... There is no X ray vision, no seeing around corners and very brutal to the player.... death is still a very constant companion....

Mightysword
x3tc

Post by Mightysword » Wed, 5. Jul 17, 22:58

decide to skip over this on this sale but will buy it if the final product if it turns out good.

It may turn out to be the Warband of survival game. At least I hope so

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Thu, 6. Jul 17, 04:37

Mightysword wrote:decide to skip over this on this sale but will buy it if the final product if it turns out good.

It may turn out to be the Warband of survival game. At least I hope so
Same here.

But... Bannerlord might be out before Kenshi is released and polished... :) I don't expect to have the time for anything but Bannerlord for quite awhile. Well, unless X4 comes out, that is. ;)

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Thu, 6. Jul 17, 08:53

Morkonan wrote: But... Bannerlord might be out before Kenshi is released and polished... :)
Heck, at the rate it's going, Half-Life 3 will probably be out before Kenshi hits final release. :wink:

Santi
Moderator (DevNet)
Moderator (DevNet)
x4

Post by Santi » Thu, 6. Jul 17, 18:26

Thanks Birdtable for the F5 tip in the other thread. Currently making a new installation, did max everything out and getting around 15 fps. Couldn't find a reset button so doing it the hard way.

Did the start with 1000 coins thinking I will be sorted out for a while, a quick look at the prices of food and that notion has quickly vanished, liking what I saw so far.
A por ellos que son pocos y cobardes

Return to “Off Topic English”