Things from X Rebirth I would like kept for use in X4

General discussions about X Rebirth.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Rei Ayanami
x4

Post by Rei Ayanami » Tue, 11. Jul 17, 06:18

Here are a few things that i love about X:R and that i'd like to have in the new game, with some notes how they could be expanded upon:

Weapon Mod Upgrades:
I love the weapon mod upgrade aspect, it gives me alot of joy to look for better weapon mods which potentially change the entire gameplay feeling of a weapon. This should definitely be kept and even expanded (like shield/armor/scanner/engine mods)
Suggestions how to expand it : The RNG aspect for dropping those is a bit 'meh'. I'd like AI ships to have weapon mods too and they should drop them when being defeated , that would give combat a bit more variety during combat and would give the player a reason to scan ships for upgrades that the player wants. Heck, you could even make it so each race has different priorities for upgrades : Teladi has alot of armor/cargo mod upgrades, split have alot of weapon mods upgrades, borons have alot of engine mods, so it'll give the player a reason to look up (and blow up :roll: ) ships of different races.

Xenons having civil ships/economy :
Its a wierd thing, but i love the fact that in X:R Xenons finally have some sort of fake mini economy going on, with xenon mining ships flying around and mining asteroids. While the player can't trade with them it still makes the Xenons far more believable than in previous titles where Xenons just had unlimited ressources.
Suggestions how to expand it : Destroying Xenon stations or disrupting their mining process could have affect on their ship production at their shipyards.

Staff on capital ships :
I think having staff on capital ships is a neat idea that makes ships a bit more personalized. For the first few ten or so capital ships it's entertaining to gather a good crew for them and do some missions to get locations of good crew members
What could be improved : While this is interesting and new when you are just starting out a new empire, doing this for the 200th time can be annoying. Allowing your manager to equip new bought ships with better staff and default commands would be a nice option.

Capital ship subsystems :
I really enjoy X:Rs capital ships having separately destroyable subsystems. It reminds me of Freespace 2s subsystems and makes combat against capitals quite more strategic.
What could be improved : I think having a ship scanner equipment that, after scanning a ship, highlights the scanned ships subsystems in a brighter color or outline would be nice. Also the selection should get improved, quite often i try leftclicking for selecting the subsystems but the target system instead selects the main hull and going through all subsystems via "select next subsystem" takes quite long. Some kind of "select targets subsystem on screen closest to the mouse cursor"-key would be nice.

No loading times during gameplay :
This is more of a technical thing, but should be mentioned : I like that Egosoft made this game have no loading screen (except for loading a save game/starting a new game) and barely any noticeable loading interruptions (unlike E:D or No Mans Sky, which have loading screens disguised as "warping animation"). Kudos for that!

Optional missions
I like the variety optional missions give. While i barely do the "build a station" missions i think the other ones are often a neat way to get some quick cash or do to some stuff when you are bored while waiting for your ships to build a station.
What i'd like to have improved : i think missions like "defend the station" need to be a bit less obvious when spawning enemy ships. For example, it is a bit immersion breaking when just after you accepted the mission out of nowhere 3 Xenon Ks show up... what a "coincidence". Have it the other way around : Spawn the enemy ships far away and let them fly towards the zone and only then, after they spawned, offer the mission while these ships are alive. Would make far more sense.

arragon0815
x4

Post by arragon0815 » Tue, 11. Jul 17, 06:25

Roger L.S. Griffiths wrote: As for additions... I hope Egosoft leave the multi-player aspect alone and do not touch it with an almost infinitely long barge poll.
Multi-Player and the Features from X are not compatible, i think.

X-Multi-Player is there, it´s called "Elite Dangerous" ...
No building-part, no fleet-controll... :roll:

...and a bunch of young puberty amokers...

(I hope you unterstand my english write... :oops: )
AMD Ryzen 9™ 7900X3D // PNY GeForce RTX™ 4070 12GB Verto // Kingston FURY DIMM 32 GB DDR5-5200 Kit // GIGABYTE B650E AORUS MASTER // Enermax ETS-T50 AXE Silent Edition // SAMSUNG 980 PRO 1 TB SSD + Seagate ST2000DM008 2 TB // Thermaltake Toughpower GF3 1000W // Microsoft Windows 11 OEM // 65" Sony 4K Gaming TV, 120 Hz.
X4 rennt wie Sau in 4K :eg:

ezra-r
x4

Post by ezra-r » Tue, 11. Jul 17, 09:06

Forgot to mention, and this one is really on-topic :lol:

Keep the long range scanner, maybe so it just echoes relevant signals when there are any instead of every little object, but the long range scanner is an idea worth keeping, extending and improving. It's basic for exploration if made well.

Sam L.R. Griffiths
x4

Post by Sam L.R. Griffiths » Tue, 11. Jul 17, 14:48

arragon0815 wrote:
Roger L.S. Griffiths wrote: As for additions... I hope Egosoft leave the multi-player aspect alone and do not touch it with an almost infinitely long barge poll.
Multi-Player and the Features from X are not compatible, i think.
I agree... though those that love the EvE formulae would disagree with our perspective.
arragon0815 wrote:X-Multi-Player is there, it´s called "Elite Dangerous" ...
No building-part, no fleet-controll... :roll:
Actually, from what I hear EvE is more like X-MMO... space based empire building MMO. I will never touch it with a bargepole for two main reasons... subscription model, and the attitudes/perspectives of players I know that do or have played EvE (and their reports on the nature of the gameplay).

ED is Elite MMO... some are campaigning for the addition of empire building aspects but I hope FD don't capitulate to their wants and desires (at least not too far).

IMO Empire building and MMOs do not mix well.

Anyway, I thought this thread was about porting X-Rebirth features to the forthcoming X4 (which we know little or nothing about yet). :roll:
Lenna (aka [SRK] The_Rabbit)

"Understanding is a three edged sword... your side, their side... and the Truth!" - J.J. Sheriden, Babylon 5 S4E6 T28:55

"May god stand between you and harm in all the dark places you must walk." - Ancient Egyption Proverb

"When eating an elephant take one bite at a time" - Creighton Abrams

DocQuixotic
x3ap

Post by DocQuixotic » Tue, 11. Jul 17, 15:41

Roger L.S. Griffiths wrote: As for walking about, I see no reason to not keep the feature even if the range of station/ship interiors and NPC looks is limited. The bridge's could be made to look more immersive and appropriate.
That would require the investment of time and resources that would be much better spent on improvements to the core gameplay loop. X unfortunately has an uphill battle to fight, and really needs to carve out a niche if it wants to survive. "Walking in stations" is not the feature of X that will win that battle. Your suggestion of more modular ships and stations is far more likely to be of benefit to the game.

Sam L.R. Griffiths
x4

Post by Sam L.R. Griffiths » Wed, 12. Jul 17, 13:39

DocQuixotic wrote:
Roger L.S. Griffiths wrote: As for walking about, I see no reason to not keep the feature even if the range of station/ship interiors and NPC looks is limited. The bridge's could be made to look more immersive and appropriate.
That would require the investment of time and resources that would be much better spent on improvements to the core gameplay loop. X unfortunately has an uphill battle to fight, and really needs to carve out a niche if it wants to survive. "Walking in stations" is not the feature of X that will win that battle. Your suggestion of more modular ships and stations is far more likely to be of benefit to the game.
Not entirely true, modders have already done work in this area and I am sure Egosoft could take such work and evolve it into something production ready in a commercial sense with not too much effort.

I think those expecting Witcher or similar FP graphics out of such features are the root of the critique. Walking about was always going to be and IMO always should be considered a second fiddle feature.

Overall though we will just have to wait and see...
Lenna (aka [SRK] The_Rabbit)

"Understanding is a three edged sword... your side, their side... and the Truth!" - J.J. Sheriden, Babylon 5 S4E6 T28:55

"May god stand between you and harm in all the dark places you must walk." - Ancient Egyption Proverb

"When eating an elephant take one bite at a time" - Creighton Abrams

RAVEN.myst
x3tc

Post by RAVEN.myst » Wed, 12. Jul 17, 14:33

Roger L.S. Griffiths wrote:
DocQuixotic wrote:
Not entirely true, modders have already done work in this area and I am sure Egosoft could take such work and evolve it into something production ready in a commercial sense with not too much effort.

I think those expecting Witcher or similar FP graphics out of such features are the root of the critique. Walking about was always going to be and IMO always should be considered a second fiddle feature.
Hmmm, perhaps an approach that could be adopted by ES would be to provide a platform (if you'll pardon the pun) for the WiS system - the basic could be something akin to the current setup (preferably at least slightly enhanced, if possible, granted), but highly customizable/modifiable - that way, members of the community with the appropriate creative skills, time, and willingness, could go right ahead and produce elaborate and diverse interiors.

However, I WOULD like the vanilla offering to include "elaborate and diverse" SHIP interiors - for starters, different factions' ships ought to have unique, distinctive styles (especially when representing different species), and different ship types' interior styles should also reflect the ship's function and design age.
-
Boron passenger: "You must hurry - my testicles are drying out!"
-
Born on Lave, raised on Freeport 7...
-
The Write Stuff

Len5

Post by Len5 » Thu, 13. Jul 17, 23:55

Keep Alexei Zakharov.

RAVEN.myst
x3tc

Post by RAVEN.myst » Fri, 14. Jul 17, 00:52

Len5 wrote:Keep Alexei Zakharov.
Hear, hear! :)
-
Boron passenger: "You must hurry - my testicles are drying out!"
-
Born on Lave, raised on Freeport 7...
-
The Write Stuff

birdtable
x4

Post by birdtable » Fri, 14. Jul 17, 06:58

Yes .... Keep Alexei Zakharov...

linolafett
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by linolafett » Fri, 14. Jul 17, 09:16

Alexei is still with us and doing a great job :)
01001100 01101001 01101110 01100101 01110011 00100000 01101111 01100110 00100000 01110100 01101001 01101101 01100101 01110011 00101110 00101110 00101110

My art stuff

arragon0815
x4

Post by arragon0815 » Fri, 14. Jul 17, 10:16

linolafett wrote:Alexei is still with us and doing a great job :)
I can´t belive that, can i hear some ??
:D
AMD Ryzen 9™ 7900X3D // PNY GeForce RTX™ 4070 12GB Verto // Kingston FURY DIMM 32 GB DDR5-5200 Kit // GIGABYTE B650E AORUS MASTER // Enermax ETS-T50 AXE Silent Edition // SAMSUNG 980 PRO 1 TB SSD + Seagate ST2000DM008 2 TB // Thermaltake Toughpower GF3 1000W // Microsoft Windows 11 OEM // 65" Sony 4K Gaming TV, 120 Hz.
X4 rennt wie Sau in 4K :eg:

Sao t'Lp
x4

Post by Sao t'Lp » Fri, 14. Jul 17, 10:24

Yeah, I would want to hear some too! The demo reel for X-Rebirth was awesome and I'd like something similar for XR:VR and/or X4 :D
You want Split? :split:

Nikola515
x4

Post by Nikola515 » Sat, 15. Jul 17, 09:34

I use his X3 soundtrack for my gym music :D
It's not world hunger because we can't feed poor,it's because there will never be enough to feed the rich .....

birdtable
x4

Post by birdtable » Sat, 15. Jul 17, 10:28

A lasting memory is entering Getsu Fune for the first time in Reunion and hearing Drums of the Goner....

GCU Grey Area
x4

Post by GCU Grey Area » Sat, 15. Jul 17, 12:51

Nikola515 wrote:
I use his X3 soundtrack for my gym music :D
Soundtracks for AP & XR are permanent fixtures in my car's CD player (well it is an X-Trail :)). It's exceptionally good driving music for long journeys.

Falcrack
x4

Post by Falcrack » Mon, 24. Jul 17, 17:19

In X Rebirth, I hope and pray that the mechanic whereby you unlock deals by flying close to station modules is gone. That is, for me, the epitome of what is wrong with Rebirth.

Tharrg
x4

Post by Tharrg » Tue, 25. Jul 17, 17:40

Things I would like to be kept from X Rebirth.
Ren's voice.

For some reason, I got an irrational dislike of being forced to be Ren. I don't claim it's logical, but this is at the top of the reasons I play X3AP rather than XR?!?

I know I can turn the sound off, but I want the in game effects sounds. (I always turn the music off, first thing in any game I play.)

So can we either have the option of playing unvoiced, or have a choice of voices?

Apologies to whoever voiced Ren.

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Tue, 25. Jul 17, 17:42

It seems people are still mis-reading the title of the thread, even when they quote it verbatim. This thread is about things people would like to keep from XR. Please use one of the other threads if you want to discuss things you don't want to keep.

Ezarkal
x4

Post by Ezarkal » Tue, 25. Jul 17, 17:47

CBJ wrote:It seems people are still mis-reading the title of the thread, even when they quote it verbatim. This thread is about things people would like to keep from XR. Please use one of the other threads if you want to discuss things you don't want to keep.
The wording does bring confusion when read too quickly, though. Especially with users for whom english isn't the main language. You might want to rephrase the thread's title, otherwise I'm pretty sure more people will fall to the same confusion.
Humans are deuterostomes, which means that when they develop in the womb the first opening they develop is the anus.
This means that at one point you were nothing but an asshole.

Some people never develop beyond this stage.

Return to “X Rebirth Universe”