Games with an emotional impact

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Jericho
x2

Games with an emotional impact

Post by Jericho » Tue, 18. Jul 17, 10:26

Spoilers ahead I'm sure!

I don't mean games that make you go "Ha, that was moderetly amusing."

I mean games like the opening of The Last of Us.

Jesus H Christ! The start of that game! I was almost tearing up (But then I have developed these 'emotion' things after having a sprog).

So my list (not in order):

1) The Last of Us introduction (You know the bit).

2) Mass Effect 3 as they escape Earth at the beginning.

3) Mass Effect 3, Mordin on Tuchunka :(

4) Mass Effect 3, the ending "You did good, child." I'm sorry, but this is one of the best moments in any video game ever. Obviously the music is a huge help. People talk about the 'crap' ending to the game (I agree, the final button press is bad), and ignore everything that came before it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TF8-qzKtfPs

5) Mass Effect 3. Thane in hospital :(

6) Red Dead Redemption, the end :(

7) Portal 2 "Good bye Sir." So much emotion she puts into those 3 words, even while she does the fake computer voice, and with their post-processing.

9) Red Dead Redemption. Near the end, with those final "make-work" missions. Marston and his wife go to Bonnie's farm, and when they leave, Bonnie looks forlornly at Marston, knowing that he is now beyond her reach, and maybe she's too old to find a good man. The scene is so simple, she's just dragging her foot in the dirt, knowing she'll never see him again and, and she'll probably die alone. That simple bit deserves some kind of award. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mzefOe6p6uw
"I've got a bad feeling about this!" Harrison Ford, 5 times a year, trying to land his plane.

UniTrader
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by UniTrader » Tue, 18. Jul 17, 11:16

First game which springs to my mind is Katawa Shoujo (more or less any Characters Route)
if not stated otherwise everything i post is licensed under WTFPL

Ich mache keine S&M-Auftragsarbeiten, aber wenn es fragen gibt wie man etwas umsetzen kann helfe ich gerne weiter ;)

I wont do Script&Mod Request work, but if there are questions how to do something i will GLaDly help ;)

birdtable
x4

Post by birdtable » Tue, 18. Jul 17, 12:18

@ Jericho ... I would say that you are still suffering from delayed sprog emotion,,, a bit sexist and ageist to suggest " maybe she's too old to find a good man"....... Poor old woman.. Mind you there are plenty of walk on parts for old women in certain Sci Fi games ... :)

Ezarkal
x4

Post by Ezarkal » Tue, 18. Jul 17, 14:31

-Dark Souls 1, as you get to the final boss. (Once you actually understand the story behind the boss.)
-Bioshock: "Would you please..."
-Bioshock infinite: Ending of both "burial at sea" DLC.
-Homeworld: Return to Kharak mission

I'll think a bit and post more later on. I played some ****** up games in the past, but I'll have to jog my memory. (Or just take a look at my steam library)

On this very topic, I'm quite eager for Hellblade.
Humans are deuterostomes, which means that when they develop in the womb the first opening they develop is the anus.
This means that at one point you were nothing but an asshole.

Some people never develop beyond this stage.

Gosnell
x4

Post by Gosnell » Tue, 18. Jul 17, 17:09

The Witcher 3,really felt fatherly care for Ciri

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Tue, 18. Jul 17, 19:05

While I can certainly enjoy a good story in a game, I don't play a lot of games that have a constructed storyline one must follow. I prefer sandboxy play and, with some exceptions, don't usually choose the most popular genres for "stories." Some RPGs though, which I like, have good stories in them. (Witcher series is probably one of those, but I haven't played it.)

However, one game I love has infinite story potential for me. As I play(ed) it, it allowed me to bear witness to the evolving story being told through my actions. And it's just a mod - Civlization IV mod - Rise From Erebus

The background for this modmod is from the famous Fall From Heaven II mod. However, RiSE goes to the extreme, adding such a rich diversity of game mechanics, units, npcs, quests, events, etc.. that virtually every single game one plays presents a new experience.

I have seen everything from huge pitched battles that stretch across days of play, holding the line against an onslaught of evil, to unique "stories" told by the movements and actions of the many unique hero units in the game. And, if one gets deep into the lore, a world originally created by Derek "Kael" Paxton, now a designer at Stardock, for his fantasy roleplaying sessions, one can become virtually enthralled... It's the most unique "gaming storytelling experiences" and one of the most rewarding game experiences I've ever had, and I've been a "gamer" since "Pong." :) I have yet to encounter any 4x or any game in any other genre that gave me so many opportunities for discovering a "story" in a game, much less one that is simply scripted by the developers.

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Tue, 18. Jul 17, 21:46

I can't remember a *recent* game that gave me an emotional impact of anything other than anger, but I can certainly remember a couple of old ones:

System Shock 2: The moment when it is revealed that you've actually been working for Shodan since the beginning was a real gut-punch.

Ultima VII: There's a point in the game where you have to go and do a quest for someone to get information from him--you know, usual RPG stuff. During that quest I was forced to reveal who'd sent me because I couldn't proceed with it otherwise. When I returned to the guy who sent me I found his dismembered corpse nailed to the floor of his house, and I was immediately certain that this only happened because I revealed his name during the quest--and I felt some real guilt over that!

Observe
xr

Post by Observe » Tue, 18. Jul 17, 22:00

X3 modded with Earth system. After fighting my way through overwhelming odds, I confess emotion upon seeing our lovely blue marble floating in space as my highly damaged Nova limped toward it...

brucewarren
x3tc

Post by brucewarren » Tue, 18. Jul 17, 22:27

What counts as emotion in this context?

Back when Frontier (Elite 2) was a thing there were missions to photograph bases or better yet drop a nuke on them.

Does the feeling of satisfaction you get when you see the explosion as you fly away count?

Sorkvild
x3tc

Post by Sorkvild » Tue, 18. Jul 17, 22:34

Mass Effect that is for sure. ME 3 wrecked me really hard, couldn't stop thinking about it for almost a week not to mention playing other games.

I would also add other nice games as well...

Fahrenheit, Indigo Prophecy
The Walking Dead: A Telltale Games Series
Life is Strange
Spec Ops the Line
Deus Ex HR had some moments too, especially in The Missing Link
Elite Dangerous| I survived the Dragon Incident ... then I took an arrow to the knee
We want the Boron back!

Ketraar
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by Ketraar » Wed, 19. Jul 17, 00:05

Assuming with "emotional impact" its meant in the broader sense.

- Both Homeworld games, all the cutscenes, they are just fantastic. The sense of wonder and the feel of being "there" is still one of the major experiences I had in games.

- The Myst series, especially Riven, again the immersion and wonder was of the charts. The joy after figuring out a puzzle was just great.

- Starcraft2 WoL, the cutscene where Kerrigan is being left behind, in LotW the intro or the cutscene where Artanis holds his ground, just gimme the chills.

Many other games gave me good moments of joy and wonder, too many to list though.

MFG

Ketraar

PS.: Almost ashamed I forgot to mention one of my favourite characters in games Kane, in Kane's Wrath was just an epic conclusion to a great character. (If only they ended there and went directly to Generals 2 instead of that mess that shall not be named)

BigBANGtheory
x4

Post by BigBANGtheory » Wed, 19. Jul 17, 09:47

I think some of the CNPP scenes in STALKER along with the Dark Valley music are quite stunning moments in gaming.

Homeworld did a good job too.

DayZ has its moments the highs and lows of danger combined with some amazing scenery for its time.

BugMeister
x4

Post by BugMeister » Wed, 19. Jul 17, 12:20

Prophet scene from Crysis..
felt like losing a friend..
- the whole universe is running in BETA mode - we're working on it.. beep..!! :D :thumb_up:

birdtable
x4

Post by birdtable » Wed, 19. Jul 17, 13:01

If we are talking games that left an emotional memory then I would say STALKER Shadow Chernobyl,, that was a haunting and very atmospheric simulation,, One of the best games I have ever played.

Stars_InTheirEyes
x4

Post by Stars_InTheirEyes » Wed, 19. Jul 17, 15:21

1. All of Kara no Shoujo
2. All of Kara no Shoujo 2 (but particularly the 'true end')
3. Nier: Automata (end of route 2)
4. Final Fantasy 7 (that city of the Ancients scene)
5. Final Fantasy 10 (end scene)
6. Final Fantasy X-2 (The thousand words concert)
Sometimes I stream stuff: https://www.twitch.tv/sorata77 (currently World of Tanks)
This sı not ǝpısdn down.
MyAnimeList,
Steam: Sorata

matthewfarmery
x3

Post by matthewfarmery » Wed, 19. Jul 17, 18:03

Final Fantasy 7 (that city of the Ancients scene)

That was so sad, and the music was bloody epic and moving. Thanks for the reminder.

Brothers A Tale of Two Sons

now that was an awesome game, and had a deep impact on me, and well worth playing
=

Sorkvild
x3tc

Post by Sorkvild » Fri, 21. Jul 17, 23:12

Forgot to add two great titles from console

Heavy Rain
The last of Us
Elite Dangerous| I survived the Dragon Incident ... then I took an arrow to the knee
We want the Boron back!

Artean
x4

Post by Artean » Mon, 24. Jul 17, 10:30

matthewfarmery wrote:Brothers A Tale of Two Sons
+1

Very good game, indeed. The same goes for Dear Esther.
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move." - D.N.A

Jericho
x2

Post by Jericho » Mon, 24. Jul 17, 11:30

birdtable wrote:@ Jericho ... I would say that you are still suffering from delayed sprog emotion,,, a bit sexist and ageist to suggest " maybe she's too old to find a good man"....... Poor old woman.. Mind you there are plenty of walk on parts for old women in certain Sci Fi games ... :)
Ageist and sexist, I definitely am :oops:

However, not in this case. I was pointing out that in her farm and the terrible town and surrounds, there are no 'good' men to be found, so her chances of finding one are round about zero, especially as her attitude and independence probably isn't what those 'good' men are used to. She has to rely on passing strangers being gunned down.

That bit where the mo-cap actress looks down and rubs her toe in the dirt... Heartbreaking. They should give out mo-cap awards (and ban Andy Serkis).
"I've got a bad feeling about this!" Harrison Ford, 5 times a year, trying to land his plane.

jlehtone
x4

Post by jlehtone » Mon, 24. Jul 17, 23:31

Fascinating. I've seen almost none of the mentioned games.

Frustrational rage is not emotional, so no, I have seen (let alone played) no emotional games at all.

Nevertheless, finding dungeons in Ultima IV was awesome.

Return to “Off Topic English”