Computer start up Problem

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Oldman
x3tc

Post by Oldman » Tue, 1. Aug 17, 14:02

HI Folks! :D

Thanks for all your help, I really appreciate your input :thumb_up:

Well...it turns out it was the graphics card!
I didn't think that a duff card would totally stuff the computer?...but it seems like it can. The no beep on boot up really had me perplexed as I'd imagined that even with a duff card it would at least boot up into bios or something, and I thought the reset switch would work?

Anyhow...I'd got a comparable GPU card that I knew was faulty in some games/applications. I nearly chucked it out at the time, glad I didn't!
I removed the old card and substituted the semi duff one. Computer booted up, one beep from the internal loudspeaker, a few minor adjustments to screen resolution and computer runs normally....HOORAY!! :D

So...computer needs a partial strip down (to clean.. it's filthy :psoo: ) and I'll be buying a more up to date GPU quite soon.
At least now I know what the problem was, so all knowledge is useful.

Once again thanks for your help and advice, you're all bloody brilliant! :D

Oldman :)

Redvers Ganderpoke

Post by Redvers Ganderpoke » Wed, 2. Aug 17, 13:51

pjknibbs wrote:
Redvers Ganderpoke wrote:Could it be the PSU?
I would suspect not because he says the fans are spinning--they usually wouldn't be if the PSU were dead.
I would generally agree with you but I have on occasion had a PSU that seems to work but couldn't pump enough out to power the more power hungry components. (like GFX cards, HD).

Anyway Oldman has got it sussed!
A flower?

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Wed, 2. Aug 17, 16:27

Great to hear you have a good handle on how to fix it. It sounds a bit like the sort of graphics card issue that I described at post 2 except that yours cooked.
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

Oldman
x3tc

Post by Oldman » Wed, 2. Aug 17, 19:54

Alan Phipps wrote:Great to hear you have a good handle on how to fix it. It sounds a bit like the sort of graphics card issue that I described at post 2 except that yours cooked.
Hi :)

Not surprising as it's a very old GPU...and I'm a bit ashamed to say once removed and I had a good look at the card it was well and truly bunged up with dust/grime etc.
I did think of cleaning it and trying it in the comp. again but it's about time I bought a new one. (GPU)
I've got a Radeon MSI R7950 3gb in the newer computer so I've been trying to find a Radeon card that's roughly comparable to that.
Trouble is AMD have changed their card designations again since I last looked. I think a Radeon RX 560 would do for what I need/afford, but I'm not sure if it's better or worse compared to the R7950, as there doesn't seem to be many reviews of the RX's about on the web.
I don't want to spend too much as the computer MB and CPU are quite old as well. The games I play for example, Elite Dangerous, work fine on my R7950 card (newer comp.) So something round about the same performance and DX12 should be ok to fit in my older comp. I can play ED (or did) on my old computer but the graphics were getting pretty basic/crappy after the last two or three ED/Horizons game upgrades on the HD 4870. :roll:

Round about the £100 to £150 mark is my budget, and preferably a Radeon card.
So any advice in that area from anyone would be most welcome as well... as I'm still searching for a suitable card to buy at the moment. :)

birdtable
x4

Post by birdtable » Wed, 2. Aug 17, 20:24

This comparison may help you get started in your search

http://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/AM ... 3641vs2160

Hope it helps a bit ... :)

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Wed, 2. Aug 17, 20:24

I upgraded from a Radeon HD6870 that was good in its time to an XFX RX480 8 GB (2 fans) that proved very nice indeed. It was a special deal for £240 from Amazon at the time, but they seem to have moved their specials onto later and more expensive RX models now.
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

Oldman
x3tc

Post by Oldman » Wed, 2. Aug 17, 21:16

birdtable wrote:This comparison may help you get started in your search

....Hope it helps a bit ... :)

Thanks for the link :thumb_up:
I'm looking at an ASUS RX 560 4GB at the moment (dual fan)....(£132)
There's also a Sapphire Radeon RX 560 4GB OC...a bit cheaper (single fan).

There's other makes/manufacturers but where I buy my stuff (Scan Computers) they are mostly pre-order at the moment. (I've found that Scan has always given me great service/delivery in the past though :wink: )

Redvers Ganderpoke

Post by Redvers Ganderpoke » Thu, 3. Aug 17, 11:42

Oldman wrote:
birdtable wrote:This comparison may help you get started in your search

....Hope it helps a bit ... :)

Thanks for the link :thumb_up:
I'm looking at an ASUS RX 560 4GB at the moment (dual fan)....(£132)
There's also a Sapphire Radeon RX 560 4GB OC...a bit cheaper (single fan).

There's other makes/manufacturers but where I buy my stuff (Scan Computers) they are mostly pre-order at the moment. (I've found that Scan has always given me great service/delivery in the past though :wink: )

I think there was a shortage due to crytocurrency mining. I've just bought a GT 1060 GB (Zotac £210) after a lot of searching to replace a GT 960 2gb (which has moved to my "admin" pc ). I was tempted by the RX580 8gb but they seemed to go expensive all of a sudden.

Prices seem a bit weird with the same Card (with different manufacturers ) being up to £70 more expensive.

Have you looked at the 1050 Ti 4gb scan has several of these at around £130-£140 mark? ( I note your preference for an AMD card - but I think the current AMD cards aren't as good value for money as the Nvidia ones.)
A flower?

Oldman
x3tc

Post by Oldman » Thu, 3. Aug 17, 17:35

Redvers Ganderpoke wrote:....Have you looked at the 1050 Ti 4gb scan has several of these at around £130-£140 mark? ( I note your preference for an AMD card - but I think the current AMD cards aren't as good value for money as the Nvidia ones.)

Thanks...I hadn't looked closely at the NVidia cards....the 1050 Ti looks interesting, and it looks like it's a bit 'faster' than the RX 560 :wink:
Price is comparable too!
I usually go the AMD Radeon way as the last NVidia card I had didn't last very long. :( (some time ago).

Return to “Off Topic English”