Paid DLC in X4

This forum is the ideal place for all discussion relating to X4. You will also find additional information from developers here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

mr.WHO
x4

Post by mr.WHO » Sun, 27. Aug 17, 10:48

Other than Boron DLC I think the pretty obvious DLC would be connection to X-Rebirth region and factions.

BigBANGtheory
x4

Post by BigBANGtheory » Sun, 27. Aug 17, 11:09

mr.WHO wrote:Other than Boron DLC I think the pretty obvious DLC would be connection to X-Rebirth region and factions.
Boron DLC done to a high quality would I think be well received especially as ES has said at this stage they aren't likely to make the release.

The way I see it you have a combination of choices that would allow for Boron character models:
1. Stations filled with liquid
2. Environment suits (Babylon 5 style)
3. Mobile tanks (Dune Guild Navigators)

x3tc

Post by 26072013 » Sun, 27. Aug 17, 11:43

I don't get why people are against DLC in principle. As with everything, it all depends on how and why it's done.

When Electronic Arts releases games with planned DLC schemes and microtransactions, then I agree: that's usually not good value, and it's often done to milk gamers. These are marketing methods done by "suits" who don't give a f*** about their players.

That's not great, but it's very easy to deal with that: don't buy games from those companies.

However when smaller game companies release DLCs that keep their games interesting and also keep the devs alive, then what's the problem? If X4 would be a great base game that I could play for a few hundred hours, then why should I be against more good, professional content? If Egosoft (or any other developer) delivers good work and offers fair DLC with good value then I definitely want them to have my money to make more content.

Actually, if done well, good DLC with a lot of content for a great game is simply awesome. The two big Witcher 3 DLCs were basically full blown games themselves, and they were easily on the same level as the base game, and all that for 25€. I don't see how anybody who likes games could be against that.

Zenon104
x4

Post by Zenon104 » Mon, 28. Aug 17, 13:59

DLC = F'n FAT NO.

EXPANSION PACK ONLY please!
Zenon104

Rei Ayanami
x4

Post by Rei Ayanami » Mon, 28. Aug 17, 14:58

Zenon104 wrote:DLC = F'n FAT NO.

I'm genuinely curious : As long as the DLC provides good amounts of content, what would be bad about DLC? And what is even the difference between an expansion pack and DLC, other than the name?

DLC is just a modern form of providing expansion packs. The problem is that many companies don't provide enough content in their DLC to make it worth the money. But the same happened back then with classic expansion packs too, when you sometimes paid 30$ for an RTS 5 mission expansion pack that you played through in 20 minutes, not all expansion packs back then were worth the money, just like today alot of DLC is not worth the money but on the other hand there are some games with incredibly good DLC.

BlackRain
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by BlackRain » Mon, 28. Aug 17, 15:08

Rei Ayanami wrote:

I'm genuinely curious : As long as the DLC provides good amounts of content, what would be bad about DLC? And what is even the difference between an expansion pack and DLC, other than the name?

DLC is just a modern form of providing expansion packs. The problem is that many companies don't provide enough content in their DLC to make it worth the money. But the same happened back then with classic expansion packs too, when you sometimes paid 30$ for an RTS 5 mission expansion pack that you played through in 20 minutes, not all expansion packs back then were worth the money, just like today alot of DLC is not worth the money but on the other hand there are some games with incredibly good DLC.
Egosoft can just call it an expansion pack that you download, that should solve the issue heh.

Zenon104
x4

Post by Zenon104 » Mon, 28. Aug 17, 16:03

Rei Ayanami wrote:

Amount of Content != cost of content.

Exactly, so like City: Skylines concert costs like $7 dollars for a building.

But their Green cities DLC adds alot more for $12.
Mass Transit $12 bucks.

Eventually it all adds up more than a $30 bucks for a expansion.

Back in the old days, expansion packs ads lots of content.

DLC + Microtranactions + whatever other nonsense just ruins the game play flow & experience by chopping it up tiny pieces to be slowly released in hoping that the DLC content will be just a good as the last one, hyping it up.
Zenon104

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Mon, 28. Aug 17, 16:07

Extending the logic slightly:

Amount of Content != cost of content (and their relationship is not at all affected by what you call it).
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

Rei Ayanami
x4

Post by Rei Ayanami » Mon, 28. Aug 17, 16:25

Zenon104 wrote:Back in the old days, expansion packs ads lots of content.
There were alot of crappy expansion packs back then that were not worth their price, just like there were really good expansions.
DLC + Microtranactions + whatever other nonsense just ruins the game play flow & experience by chopping it up tiny pieces to be slowly released in hoping that the DLC content will be just a good as the last one, hyping it up.
Despite me hating microtransactions I won't comment on microtransactions since X4 won't have microtransactions.

But about chopping up games for selling DLC: Yes, just like back in the day there were lots of crappy expansion packs, there is alot of crappy DLC nowadays and there are - unfortunately - many developers who rip out parts of their game and sell it as DLC.

On the other hand, there are also many cases of awesome DLC that is well worth the money. Skyrim for example has really nice DLC, the same goes with X:Rs HOL DLC.

Zenon104
x4

Post by Zenon104 » Tue, 29. Aug 17, 10:48

Rei Ayanami wrote:
Zenon104 wrote:Back in the old days, expansion packs ads lots of content.
There were alot of crappy expansion packs back then that were not worth their price, just like there were really good expansions.
Despite me hating microtransactions I won't comment on microtransactions since X4 won't have microtransactions.

But about chopping up games for selling DLC: Yes, just like back in the day there were lots of crappy expansion packs, there is alot of crappy DLC nowadays and there are - unfortunately - many developers who rip out parts of their game and sell it as DLC.

On the other hand, there are also many cases of awesome DLC that is well worth the money. Skyrim for example has really nice DLC, the same goes with X:Rs HOL DLC.
Then we go from DLC to Microtransactions to publisher paid mods.

Such as Bethesda latest stunt.

It goes on and on and on, no standards.

Go from one idea, to another idea, to another idea.
Zenon104

blotunga
xr

Post by blotunga » Tue, 29. Aug 17, 14:36

I'd rather not. I've bought X-Rebirth Home of Light Edition exactly because I know there will be no more stuff added. I like my games to be "complete", not having to buy bits and pieces every couple of months.

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Tue, 29. Aug 17, 16:28

I would rather have paid DLC for a game (that can be safely ignored) than have the Paradox system of, "Oh, we've released this game, but we're going to completely change how it works in a free patch"...I mean, it's like all their games are Early Access but without the label actually telling you that.

mr.WHO
x4

Post by mr.WHO » Tue, 29. Aug 17, 16:42

You know what - the X4 footage had suprising lack of any X-Rebirth ships with the exeption of Nudung (Argon M-size miner) and something that might or might not be Gigurum.

This make me think that we would have "X-Rebirth region" DLC with remade systems (to fit X4 universe design) and remodeled ships (cokpits and interiors).

Sandalpocalypse
x4

Post by Sandalpocalypse » Tue, 29. Aug 17, 17:25

It might be that they had to rebuild everything anyway, considering that every ship has to have a reasonable to-scale interior cockpit that is also accessible from the exterior. That probably invalidates most S/M XR ships. And the new docking systems and new size standards for vessels means that all the capitals need lots of reworking.
Irrational factors are clearly at work.

Graaf
x3tc

Post by Graaf » Tue, 29. Aug 17, 20:16

mr.WHO wrote:Other than Boron DLC I think the pretty obvious DLC would be connection to X-Rebirth region and factions.
So because they still insist on giving us Walking, they don't think they can get Borons working properly on release, therefor we have to pay extra?

Santi
Moderator (DevNet)
Moderator (DevNet)
x4

Post by Santi » Tue, 29. Aug 17, 20:48

Graaf wrote:
So because they still insist on giving us Walking, they don't think they can get Borons working properly on release, therefor we have to pay extra?
Pay extra for what? Has Boron DLC been confirmed? Could be great if you can confirm this, just an official Egosoft announcement confirming a Boron DLC will suffice. Many thanks.
A por ellos que son pocos y cobardes

BlackRain
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by BlackRain » Tue, 29. Aug 17, 20:59

Graaf wrote:
Didn't you say you weren't buying the game (or at least it seems that way based on your comments)? Or are you designating yourself as a justice warrior for the poor souls (your opinion) that do buy it?

I just love self-righteous people that make sure to do what's in our best interest without asking us what we ourselves want!

If Borons do not make it in, but they end up making a DLC that adds Borons along with their sectors/ships/economy, I think it would be a good buy. Or they could just not add them in from the beginning and never add them in, I guess that would make you happy.

Graaf
x3tc

Post by Graaf » Tue, 29. Aug 17, 23:55

Santi wrote:
Graaf wrote:
Pay extra for what? Has Boron DLC been confirmed? Could be great if you can confirm this, just an official Egosoft announcement confirming a Boron DLC will suffice. Many thanks.
As you can see I didn't bring up Boron DLC. I'm just replying to it.

BlackRain wrote:
Graaf wrote:
Didn't you say you weren't buying the game (or at least it seems that way based on your comments)? Or are you designating yourself as a justice warrior for the poor souls (your opinion) that do buy it?

I just love self-righteous people that make sure to do what's in our best interest without asking us what we ourselves want!

If Borons do not make it in, but they end up making a DLC that adds Borons along with their sectors/ships/economy, I think it would be a good buy. Or they could just not add them in from the beginning and never add them in, I guess that would make you happy.
You're confusing Rebirth with X4.
They said they were going to make a real X4. Shouldn't that included Borons from the start?

Santi
Moderator (DevNet)
Moderator (DevNet)
x4

Post by Santi » Wed, 30. Aug 17, 00:27

For all we know in X4 there has been a huge drought and all Borons are dead.

Of course later on , in a DLC there could be rain of unprecedent magnitude and boron tadpoles being dormant could develop.

It all depends on the lore of the game, that may or not follow events in other X games, included X Rebirth.
A por ellos que son pocos y cobardes

Mightysword
x3tc

Post by Mightysword » Wed, 30. Aug 17, 01:30

so much "semantic" :lol:

For me, I don't care what it is called (expack or DLC), I don't care about their price (as in some people seems to set a fixed amount like a DLC shouldn't cost more than X or an expack shouldn't cost more than y).

To me it's simple:

- Do I like the base game enough to buy it at asking price: yes -> I buy it, no -> I don't buy it.
- You would never hear me complain something like "this game isn't worth it with the current content", because if that's my original thought I wouldn't buy it in the first place. I do complain if it's buggy though ;)
- Naturally, you won't hear something like "this DLC should have been in the original game from me either. Why? Because if it had decided the original was worth the asking price (hence why I bought it in the first place), demanding extra stuffs for free will just be greedy on my part. Don't get me wrong, I'm greedy, and I like free stuff too, but I try not to entitle myself to it.

- When new content come out, my only question is will it add anything that I want into my game. Yes -> I buy it. No -> I don't buy it. I have games where I got a lot of DLC for, there are games that despite playing a lot I never buy any DLC, because I don't feel they add anything of value to me.

- Last but not least, when I see the dev put out something I like, I buy it. Because for me that's a way to make an investment to improve the chance of what I like will continue to be delivered. Most important thing IMO. :)

Return to “X4: Foundations”