Feedback and information for X Rebirth VR Edition

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Bernd
Site Admin
Site Admin
x4

Feedback wanted: Vive wand gesture steering in 4.20 HF1

Post by Bernd » Thu, 3. Aug 17, 20:26

With todays update (Hotfix 1) we have now also added gesture steering for the Vive VR controller. Please try this out and let us know how you can get along with it. We know it takes a while to get used to and it may not be as intuitive as the same feature on the Oculus Touch controller, but we can still change the behavior in multiple ways.

So please post how it works for you here.
---
-Bernd Lehahn, bernd@egosoft.com

dertien
x2

Post by dertien » Thu, 3. Aug 17, 22:21

Well...

Coming from a HOTAS setup for anything flight or space sim related, which feels natural, I cannot seem to get the hang of it. Also, using the pointer green laser feels unnatural and redundant since we have a pointer wherever we look that would do the job just fine combined with a button on one of the wands.

The same mechanic is implemented in DCS world, where all cockpit switches are controlled with a pointer in the HMD which stays centered and moves with the motions of your head, and you can use the mouse or a button assigned on your stick to flip switches the pointer hovers over.

For example in XRVR, looking and pointing your HMD at the weapons gui on the windscreen with the red dot and clicking an assigned button would switch weapons. Resting the eye pointer on the missiles, clicking the same button would switch missiles... etc. Same could be done with the quick menu. Getting rid of the green laser and using the HMD pointer would be a much more natural approach.

For example the Sidebar menu options are far too small to be pointing at with that green laser; it would be better to be able to click through the options using the pads button-capability as a pov to click through the options. Both pads can be used to steer and then when clicking a button to open the Sidebar menu you could either thumb through the options using the pad's buttons (down up left and right).

I understand you are trying hard to make this work since not everybody has a Hotas controller, and the VIVE does not ship with the addition of an standard Xbox 360 controller like the Oculus does.

On oculus, without a hotas, I would be playing this with the Xbox 360 controller that it ships with.
The VIVE is indeed another matter but if I only had the Wands to play this game, I would use the two circular areas to move the ship, and maybe a button + circular for roll. Maybe I would use the wand motion for roll, but certainly not to fly around (yaw and pitch). This is not a game you play for 15 minutes, and the wrists will get pretty sore after using this for extended gaming sessions. So keeping the wrists firmly on the armrests and holding both wands while using the circular pads and the triggers and buttons would be my way to go.

Playing with the wands like this (as opposed to a thumbstick controller or a natural Hotas) will need getting used to, a bit like using a trackball instead of a mouse.

Pihpe
x4

Post by Pihpe » Thu, 3. Aug 17, 23:18

Is it possible to get some kind of a.. guide for this? I just couldn't for the life of me figure out how to just stay still with it.

rboerdijk
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by rboerdijk » Thu, 3. Aug 17, 23:40

@Pihpe : Each time you enable the mode, it basically takes the current pose (how you are holding the wand) as the "zero" orientation. All rotations you make with the stick will be relative to that "setpoint".

Pihpe
x4

Post by Pihpe » Thu, 3. Aug 17, 23:57

Oh, that helps!

Tanall
x4

Post by Tanall » Fri, 4. Aug 17, 01:05

I tried it out, and it seems I am more fighting the controls than the enemy in a dogfight. And this is with both the touchpad and the new gesture controls.

Neither gesture nor touchpad really seems all that intuitive for ship control.

Once I started using a HOTAS again things got much better, but I cannot get the quick interface to work with a stick.

Edit: Similar posts merged - Sparky
(\_/)
(O.o)
(> <) BuNn3h!!!1!!!111

jiggywit

Re: Feedback wanted: Vive wand gesture steering

Post by jiggywit » Fri, 4. Aug 17, 10:23

Bernd wrote:With todays update (Hotfix 1) we have now also added gesture steering for the Vive VR controller. Please try this out and let us know how you can get along with it. We know it takes a while to get used to and it may not be as intuitive as the same feature on the Oculus Touch controller, but we can still change the behavior in multiple ways.

So please post how it works for you here.

Works brilliantly. I've got the toggle switch on the grip button and flying the ship feels second nature now.
Love the toggle it's almost like autopilot with you need to just relax and set a straight course.

it's also nice that it frees up the trackpad button to launch missiles.

Interacting with menus and targeting with the other hand works perfectly too.

Bazza
x3tc

Post by Bazza » Wed, 16. Aug 17, 12:47

After getting so frustrated trying to setup my joystick (MSFFB2) to actually work properly in the menus, I decided to just work with the gesture control and give up on my joystick completely.

This gave me problems with the highways where I was constantly getting booted out. Then I realised I could just toggle gesture off as I enter the highway and all was well. Toggle it back on when I want to exit.

Works brilliantly. I would have suggested the option for vertical axis inversion, but I have got used to it now so all good. I quite like it tbh and am not missing joystick control (which surprised me somewhat).
ZORK, IW2:EOC, GIANTS, NOLF 1, Runaway, Gothic I&II, Mafia, Arx Fatalis, Divine Divinity, Vietcong... I Loved Those Games

Return to “X Rebirth VR Edition”