[4.20 HF1] BUG: Mouse affects shoot-to-viewpoint in VR with Joystick

Feedback and information for X Rebirth VR Edition

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Tanall
x4

[4.20 HF1] BUG: Mouse affects shoot-to-viewpoint in VR with Joystick

Post by Tanall » Fri, 4. Aug 17, 20:01

So, even though you cannot see the mouse cursor, if you are using VR and a joystick it will throw off your aim when using shoot-to-viewpoint. I tried to drag the mouse to the right extreme in hopes of getting it to not effect the active window, and it causes my shots in shoot-to-viewpoint to go off wide to the right side of my field of view.
(\_/)
(O.o)
(> <) BuNn3h!!!1!!!111

dertien
x2

Post by dertien » Sat, 5. Aug 17, 18:58

In Settings->Game settings [Fire Towards]

you can choose between:

Crosshairs (forward)
Look-at-position. (HMD pointer)

AND

Aim assist on/off

In Settings->Controls->General Controls->[weapons]

You can set a fire button to both:

-Fire weapon. (straight ahead)
-Fire at cursor. (HMD pointer)

With aim assist set to [on] it will help you a little extra in both fire modes - Fire weapon and Fire at cursor - This all works as intended as far as I can tell.

Tanall
x4

Post by Tanall » Sat, 5. Aug 17, 20:37

Aim assist has no effect. On or off, the shots go to where the invisible mouse cursor is currently residing.

Fire at cursor vs fire weapon, both have the same result if the aim mode is set to aim at look-at.

Only aim to crosshair eliminates the problem, by removing the ability to even use HMD weapon aiming, which is not ideal.

Simply put, it needs to be such that when the HMD is in use, the mouse cursor position needs to be completely disregarded.
(\_/)
(O.o)
(> <) BuNn3h!!!1!!!111

dertien
x2

Post by dertien » Sat, 5. Aug 17, 21:05

I tested this before I answered your OP, and it works flawlessly.

Wonder if we are playing the same game :)

Tanall
x4

Post by Tanall » Sat, 5. Aug 17, 21:06

And I tested before posting my reply. I have no idea what would be causing any difference.
(\_/)
(O.o)
(> <) BuNn3h!!!1!!!111

dertien
x2

Post by dertien » Sat, 5. Aug 17, 21:13

Oh, I believe you! Does your Quickmenu remain open when you let go off the button?

Tanall
x4

Post by Tanall » Sat, 5. Aug 17, 21:15

Yes. I have to tap it again to get it to go away.
(\_/)
(O.o)
(> <) BuNn3h!!!1!!!111

dertien
x2

Post by dertien » Sat, 5. Aug 17, 21:20

That is why you can't dock! It's still the same bug we had since they introduced HF1.

https://forum.egosoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=395736

If you manage to launch a game (requires luck here) where the Quickmenu disappears when you let go off the button, docking will work, as will all other options like scanning and such.

When the game was first launched the Quickmenu behaved correctly, now it's a hit and miss affair. Restarting the game sometimes alleviates the issue, but no guarantees there. The game is useless indeed without docking and interaction menus.

EDIT: My settings:

- Windowed/Fullscreen mode (both tested)
- Confine mouse to window: on

Also; are you on Version 4.20 244463? this can be found on the start menu.

This is what you should see when pointing the HMD at the docking location:

Franc Kaos

Post by Franc Kaos » Mon, 7. Aug 17, 08:43

That is why you can't dock! It's still the same bug we had since they introduced HF1.
If you manage to launch a game (requires luck here) where the Quickmenu disappears when you let go off the button, docking will work, as will all other options like scanning and such.
Gonna try this today because after googling this, it appears to be the same issue from 2014 with people using joysticks, but then of course people could just double click with the mouse, an option we don't have (sorry op - doesn't help you any*), it's getting old blindly grasping for the Touch controllers to dock / initiate offers and talk to NPCs.
Thing is, I never found a resolution because the workaround was so easy. Would be nice to get some kind of official response to this issue - or allow mouse use in VR (my actual preference).

*There's a couple of mouse options in the menu (and you've probably tried all of them), but is mouselook etc off / disabled / swapped?

thaine

Post by thaine » Fri, 11. Aug 17, 04:32

I'm having the same issues as Salnas, in that my invisible mouse cursor can affect my aim.

I have to play using the crosshairs for aiming, because the head movement needed for the look-at position causes me a great deal of motion sickness. For some reason it randomly decides its going to use the look-at position for aiming no matter what my setting is on, and even changing it back and forth has no effect. When it does this I can move the mouse and direct my weapon fire. Sometimes I can get it to quit by a combination of changing to 2d and back to vr several times, toggling the setting back and forth, and moving the mouse back to the center of the crosshairs. When it does start working correctly again my weapons still fire at some extreme angle, like straight up or off the side of the screen and I usually have to move my ship around a bit to fix it.

I also suspect this is related to my inability to target certain things like docks, and or dock in general, since the cursor whether invisible or not is off screen.

Pihpe
x4

Post by Pihpe » Fri, 11. Aug 17, 08:14

I'm not sure if this is the same thing, but feels like it. With the "shoot at cursor" option enabled the aim is way off. It shoots like third of a screen away where I'm aiming at. Using Vive + hotas if that matters.

thaine

Post by thaine » Sat, 12. Aug 17, 01:39

Could you try moving your mouse while firing? Mine will fire dead on, or off to the side, depending on where my mouse cursor that I cannot see is. I can hold the fire button down and drag the mouse around and my weapon trail will reflect that movement.

Return to “X Rebirth VR Edition”